Flying Machine bikes

spicelab

Flying Machine bikes

Postby spicelab » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Is there any word on the street that these guys are dodgy or have cash-flow problems?

Asking because I've had a torrid time trying to get my bike out of these guys after paying half upfront in January. Build time was supposedly 6 weeks.

Since then I've had a stream of obfuscation, excuses and contradictory explanations for delays. The bike is now supposedly built, but I'm highly suspicious and want to corroborate the integrity of the company before I transfer the remainder of the cash.

Thanks.

notaero

Re: Flying Machine bikes

Postby notaero » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:34 pm

perhaps we know each other, same deal for a mate of mine.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:47 am

Oh oh!! I bought a set of white industry hubs off them recently- what shoud be a simple pack and send has turned into... nothing- chasing and chasing via email/phone for one emil confirmation that the order was received. This might be turn out to be a waste of $400.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Would not be surprised if the business is going bust. Have had friends who have been stuffed about by other businesses in a similar way.

Paid them a visit in person at all? (Assuming they're still open).

Quick Whois of the domain;

Domain Name flyingmachine.com.au
Last Modified 14-Jan-2015 00:52:53 UTC
Status ok
Registrar Name NetRegistry
Registrant PARTICLE & WAVE PTY LTD
Eligibility Type Company
Eligibility ID ABN 89126674440
Registrant Contact ID ANMA1912
Registrant Contact Name Matthew Andrew
Registrant Contact Email matthewandrew9@gmail.com

Search of Matthew's email address shows he once had another domain registered; sexybicycles.com (it's a parked domain now, just has some spam/advertising crap). My guess is a failed business, renamed to Flying Machine?

Domain Name: sexybicycles.com
Creation Date: 23-Oct-2009
Expiration Date: 23-Oct-2014

Registrant ID: 248992
Registrant Name: Matthew Andrew
Registrant Organization: Sexy Bicycles
Registrant Street 1: 20 Langsford St Claremont
Registrant Street 2:
Registrant Street 3:
Registrant City: Perth
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 6010
Registrant Country: au
Registrant Phone: +61.400218425
Registrant FAX:
Registrant Email: matthewandrew9@gmail.com

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=104566047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.andrew9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:40 pm

The shop was open when my bus took me past on Friday afternoon. Might be worth fronting up in person.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:21 pm

dmwill wrote: Search of Matthew's email address shows he once had another domain registered; sexybicycles.com (it's a parked domain now, just has some spam/advertising crap). My guess is a failed business, renamed to Flying Machine?

From the Flying Machine website- "Flying Machine, or Sexy Bicycles as they were known then, were an idea dreamt, designed and created out of Matt’s Claremont bedroom."
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
dmwill wrote: Search of Matthew's email address shows he once had another domain registered; sexybicycles.com (it's a parked domain now, just has some spam/advertising crap). My guess is a failed business, renamed to Flying Machine?

From the Flying Machine website- "Flying Machine, or Sexy Bicycles as they were known then, were an idea dreamt, designed and created out of Matt’s Claremont bedroom."
I couldn't pay people to take away the things I dream of in my bedroom!!

sorry- thats the exit isn't it

exadios

Postby exadios » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm

They look OK to me.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:06 pm

You'd think I rode a bike. Co-incidentally I happened to drop into the shop this morning at 9:20.

For the record it's still there and still open.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

chippa1968

Postby chippa1968 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:03 pm

I'd say Matt's pfairly busy seeing as he pretty much runs everything himself. He's currently advertising for staff so that may be telling

Matt FM

Postby Matt FM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Just for the record. Flying Machine ( formerly Sexy Bicycles ) is absolutely still in business and running flat out trying to get through our backlog of orders for custom bikes. Admittedly we have been taking longer than hoped for some of these but we have never not delivered. For orders of White Industries hubs that we dont actually stock and have been removed for sale individually from our website, these have to tie in with orders coming from the US for specific builds so can take a while to get here, again these have never not been delivered.

Too many orders.. sounds like a good problem to have but defiantly also makes things difficult in keeping everybody happy... very long hours, lack of sleep etc... but we are getting there.

t_f

Postby t_f » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:39 am

I can confirm they do deliver, although not without issues that include delays in meeting deadlines and lack of clear communication/expectations coming from I don't believe is intent. I got my bike a while back and while not everything is perfect and I am still waiting for Matt to come back on a few issues (you'd expect things to be perfect for the price) I am generally satisfied.

It's good to see Matt is taking action and is hiring as I think the whole concept behind FM is great and it would be a shame for things to fall apart on execution.

blue9

Postby blue9 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Anybody have any experiences they'd care to share about their Flying Machine bikes?
t_f - can you elaborate on the few issues you're trying to get worked out?

Hairydog

Postby Hairydog » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:06 pm

I have also had order delays from flying machine. 14 weeks delivery is up to 26 weeks and still waiting.Have been given four different reasons for the delay. I believe Matt has a great company and makes great bikes just very frustrating not knowing if you have thrown away a couple of grand on a bike you may never see.

Used to love spreading the word about flying machine but have not been able to of late. I have given up trying to convince friends that I have not been a victim of fraud.

TheThinMan

Postby TheThinMan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:42 pm

@Hairydog - a successful result?

joelireland

Postby joelireland » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Bump

Hi all - anyone ordering or receiving bikes from Flying Machine? I have been trying to get in touch with Matt (from order placed in early May) and just struggle to get reply - despite many messages left on phone, email, facebook! Apparently my bike was due to be delivered on 10th September (and that was with at least 6 week delay) but still waiting to get any feedback on status! I am concerned whether he will actually deliver it.

Anyone got any success/feedback on Flying Machine progress?
Anyone know how to get hold of Matt besides leaving phone messages, emails, facebook messages, etc?
Anyone know if they are still operating?

Matt, I see that you replied on here previously? Perhaps you can give me a call to discuss?

Thanks,
Joel

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 pm

Sounds a bit like ordering a Ferrari, you put your money down and the vehicle will arrive, but only after you wait a really long time.

Hope you've got another bike to ride in the meantime....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:46 pm

is it odd that there are so many 1 post members posting?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:02 am

jaseyjase wrote:is it odd that there are so many 1 post members posting?
No, I'd guess not much comes up on a google search except this thread so it's the only place they've got to TRY and get some info
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

joelireland

Postby joelireland » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Mububban wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:is it odd that there are so many 1 post members posting?
No, I'd guess not much comes up on a google search except this thread so it's the only place they've got to TRY and get some info
Correct. Small bike shop with incredibly poor communication and big promises means we need to search far and wide. Thanks for your help. Apparently will be getting some pics of the build this week ... will try hold my breath ... and make some noise if they don't arrive as well.

ryda

Postby ryda » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:45 pm

I wish I read this thread before I ordered my bike in January and paid a 50% deposit.

Still no sign of the bike. No returned calls, no response to emails. I have actually been to the shop and met Matt. He seemed like a reasonable guy.

At this point I just want my money back. Next step will be the to contact the ACCC and see what I can get back by legal means.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:20 pm

ryda wrote:

At this point I just want my money back. Next step will be the to contact the ACCC and see what I can get back by legal means.
ACCC cannot help you. This is a state matter and hence you need to talk to the Department of Consumer Affairs or whatever they are called now days.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:50 pm

I've seen a few of their bikes around. They are really nice.
Unfortunately the experiences in this thread put me off ever ordering from them.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Is it the frame building that is the bottleneck? Is it impossible to find skilled titanium welders?
I'm assuming they're building bikes with standard Shimano or SRAM gearing etc so doubt components would be the problem?

joelireland

Postby joelireland » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I've no idea what the bottleneck is, but I can confirm that I have just received some pictures of my frame painted. This is a huge relief as I have had to date no evidence of any frame being built. Communication is still incredibly slow, but it looks as though I may end up getting my flying machine frame ... even if significantly late and with significant worries about delivery.