Green cyclepath at Canning Bridge

farnorth

Green cyclepath at Canning Bridge

Postby farnorth » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:51 pm

This morning I passed a gang of workmen painting the underpass surface at the eastern end of Canning Bridge a rather lurid bright green colour.

Does anyone know what this is intended to achieve?

Rusty6149

Re: Green cyclepath at Canning Bridge

Postby Rusty6149 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Saw that tonight leading in from both sides and under the bridge.

It is either early preparation for next years St Patrick's Day Parade, or to make it more "entertaining" for cyclists in the wet :)

I'm sure the workman will be back tomorrow to paint some lines on it, so take care around there, as there is traffic management asking people to walk their bikes through the area.. unlike the underpass under the freeway near the narrows, where there was whole lane blocked this morning with little warning and no traffic management.

--Rusty

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 pm

I hit it at speed tonight, assuming that it would be an extra grip surface - I was quite concerned when I realised how shiny it was under my lights, dreading it when it is wet

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:39 am

I assume its meant to higlight a dangerous section of path but geez you hope they have got the skid resistance right or else there will be a few amphibious cyclists this winter.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:59 am

Im guessing that this one has turned out alright?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

Just a bit of a rant at this opportunity.

Far to many riders slice thru there at speed. It is blind, it is sharp, it is subject to sand and detritus unseen and there is zero run-off to either the left or the right. Anything more than a gentle trot opens the rider up to random hazards they cannot know until too late. At something more than 10kph I'd guess and you are not riding "in control due to hazards unseen when there was none the day before. Any other users at that section are at risk if another does enter at more than a gentle speed.

You could almost make the case that hard-to-ignore slipperiness would be a plus, at least any stacks or collisions would be a lot less damaging.

I expect many may find my comment extreme but I am not advocating deliberately sabotaging it with paint though I would support other methods to enforce slow riding or even the need to dismount. Over the decades that I used that section I came across an unbelievably large number of riders that would make a cro-magnon seem intelligent. I've seen a few stacks and innocent other parties being taken out. I now use an alternate route and gladly seldom pass under there anymore.

Ideal would be to straighten the segment out as much as the land there allowed and it is disgraceful that it has never been done. I'd be happy tohear that it's been done since I last passed there. But we all know how miserable funding is for these things.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:28 pm

A boardwalk on both sides of the underpass would be enough to provide a straight approach and clear sightlines, remove this as a hazard.

Or a giant razor blade sticking up from the dividing line just for those who like to cut the corners going in. Either would work for me.