Perth North Metro Meeting announced

prplhydra

Perth North Metro Meeting announced

Postby prplhydra » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:43 pm

by the sitting MLA:

It is my pleasure to invite you to the upcoming Perth Electorate Bicycle Forum with the Hon Dean Nalder MLA, Minister for Transport and the Hon Liza Harvey MLA, Minister for Road Safety.

The forum will take place at 6.00pm on Thursday 18 June 2015, at the Floreat Athena Soccer Club (Britannia Reserve) 41 Britannia Road, Mount Hawthorn.

If there are any issues affecting you or your local community, this is a great opportunity to speak with the Ministers.

RSVPs are essential by Tuesday, 16 June 2015.

No word on wether there is a formal agenda for the evening or not

cj7hawk

Re: Perth North Metro Meeting announced

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Interesting... Where do we RSVP to? Is there a link to the original?

Thanks
David

prplhydra

Postby prplhydra » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Invite was via email from Eleni Evangel, MLA.

RSVP is via her office: phone 9227 8040 or email <Eleni.Evangel@mp.wa.gov.au>

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:40 pm

prplhydra wrote:Invite was via email from Eleni Evangel, MLA.

RSVP is via her office: phone 9227 8040 or email <Eleni.Evangel@mp.wa.gov.au>
Thank you - much appreciated -

David.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 pm

If there are any issues affecting you or your local community, this is a great opportunity to speak with the Ministers.

How many hours have you got? Can you take the minister for a walk down to the PSP just next door?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:10 am

A friend who lives in the Perth area, forwarded me a similar invite:
Good morning,

Please find attached invitation to the upcoming Perth Electorate Bicycle Forum with the Hon Dean Nalder MLA, Minister for Transport.

The forum will take place at 6.00pm on Thursday 18 June 2015, at the Floreat Athena Soccer Club (Britannia Reserve) 41 Britannia Road, Mount Hawthorn.

If there are any issues affecting you or your local community, this is a great opportunity to speak with the Minister.

RSVPs are essential by Tuesday, 16 June 2015.

For further information please do not hesitate to contact me, or my office on 9227 8040.

Kindest regards,

Eleni

The attachment also indicated "Light refreshments provided.", they know how to attract cyclists.

Unclear if this is an open invite, only one way to find out and reply to it.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Perhaps they should have held the meeting at Barrack Square... you know, look after the traders there :lol:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Didn't notice this before, but my version off the invite indicates only one minister attending. Will the Minister for Road Safety be attending?

And why is the Perth Electorate so lucky?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 am

rolandp wrote:Didn't notice this before, but my version off the invite indicates only one minister attending. Will the Minister for Road Safety be attending?

Better cycling infrastructure means less unhappy people to face there - :)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:34 am

rolandp wrote:Didn't notice this before, but my version off the invite indicates only one minister attending. Will the Minister for Road Safety be attending?

Could be due to local lobbying/advocacy to Ms Evangel. Mayor Carey may have had something to do with it?

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:31 am

I would think that Vincent and John Carey's active and even aggressive action on cycling would cause it - I live just near there but have a previous engagement that night so cant make it, look forward to hearing what they say from others though. Biggest issues for me (if anyone wants to bring them up) are interconnections between sections of cycling infrastructure and maintenance.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

rolandp wrote:And why is the Perth Electorate so lucky?
Marginal? Previously a Labour stronghold ...

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 pm

I have been confirmed to attend. Anyone else attending?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:40 am

I asked to attend and did not get a reply... They are not being very professional about it -

bigtbafe

Postby bigtbafe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:30 am

cj7hawk wrote:I asked to attend and did not get a reply... They are not being very professional about it -
I called the number and spoke to the receptionist to make my RSVP. I suggest you do the same.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:18 am

Outcome, extra $3m and findings from recent bike forums released. Media Statement

Questions were from the audience, of which at least 4 were from disgruntled pedestrians complaining about cyclists on the footpaths. Wait for the next CBD blitz and bet you it will be around 140 William St as it was reported a large number of cyclists exit the below ground car park not giving way to pedestrian. The main occupants of 140William St are Department of Transport and Department of Planning, which Minister of Transport making a comment he had one or two contacts there.

Caught up with several people, including Minister of Road Safety, but Minister of Transport was surrounded by the 'pedestrians', so will post my questions to him later.

Lots of media, and my bike was used as a backdrop, but hope my hairy legs didn't make it into any of the shots.

There was also reference to additional $4m on road education, and legislation to be introduced for 'careless driving resulting in serious injury or death' as currently legislation relating to 'careless driving' is only a $600 fine.

Love the question from a fellow cyclist relating to calming/medium strips which force motorists over, and causing pinch points with cyclists.

I did see Minister of Transport being drilled by a fellow cyclists who I will contact next to see what she was asking.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:05 pm

rolandp wrote:Outcome, extra $3m and findings from recent bike forums released. Media Statement
Seriously disappointed by this announcement. The way I have read the press release, there are three highlighted "actions" which are a "review", a "consideration" and I have no idea what the third one is ... it is lacking a word or three to actually turn it into an "action of some description."

If these are the things the Minister's office sees fit to highlight then we have nothing much to feel good about IMO ... $3 million for more talking and no real on the ground changes. Progress WA style.

Andrew

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 am

Aushiker wrote:Seriously disappointed by this announcement. The way I have read the press release, there are three highlighted "actions" which are a "review", a "consideration" and I have no idea what the third one is ... it is lacking a word or three to actually turn it into an "action of some description."

If these are the things the Minister's office sees fit to highlight then we have nothing much to feel good about IMO ... $3 million for more talking and no real on the ground changes. Progress WA style.

Andrew
The Workshop Report (pdf) contains a list of 14 actions that are being undertaken. 13 of them are review/plan/consider the 1 that is an actual action is "Develop and implement demonstration low speed bike boulevards, low speed precincts, connections to stations/schools and hospitals".

Considering that one of the actions is to take a year to produce a discussion paper about the width of PSP's it doesn't look like there is any appetite to make actual changes on the ground within this term of Government.