Bikes around FINISHED Elizabeth Quay

ColinOldnCranky

Bikes around FINISHED Elizabeth Quay

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:14 pm

[Thread not about the current temporary mess that we have to bear.]

Way way back the powers that be indicated that cyclists would not be able to ride over the footbridge of Betty's-Jetty**, only to have a change of heart in the face of some protest.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is?

(**aka Elizabeth Quay - Betty's Jetty is my ineffectual little protest about having to follow just another of the Premier's unilateral wet dreams.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Re: Bikes around FINISHED Elizabeth Quay

Postby rolandp » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Email I sent to City of Perth back in May:
Could I please request the minutes from 19-May-2015 to be updated for Schedule 28 to reflect the correct title of the soon to be installed bridge at Elizabeth Quay.

Premier Colin Barnett in 2011 publically declared that the shared bridge will be for pedestrian and cyclists:
“‘The Island’ is designed to be a relaxed place for children and adults and is connected to the ‘Waterfront Promenade’ by a sculptural pedestrian and cycle bridge.” - source Metropolitan Region Scheme Amendment 1203/41 “Perth Waterfront”
Could the Council Minutes of 19-May-2015 please be updated to reflect that this bridge is a 'pedestrian and cycle bridge' and not a 'pedestrian bridge'.

CoP's response was the map provided in Schedule 28 came from MRA. They requested me to contact MRA to get confirmation.

I then forwarded response to MRA. No reply at this time even though I have now requested it twice.

Colin, please also request confirmation from MRA. The more that do helps.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Emailed MRA. I'll post if they respond and follow up if they do not.

Thanks Roland as always for your annoying persistence in (in the words of Don Chipp) keeping the bastards honest :P

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 am

My understanding is that the bridge will be a shared path.
No facilities on The Esplanade. Westbound it might be possible to use New Riverside Drive, I doubt MRA/MRWA/CoP will think of anything useful like enabling right turns out of New Riverside Drive onto Barrack Street for cyclists.
Not sure how the awful Mounts Bay Rd shared path links into anything - stops dead at William Street and from there no roads have cycling facilities?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:07 am

wellington_street wrote:My understanding is that the bridge will be a shared path.
No facilities on The Esplanade. Westbound it might be possible to use New Riverside Drive, I doubt MRA/MRWA/CoP will think of anything useful like enabling right turns out of New Riverside Drive onto Barrack Street for cyclists.
Not sure how the awful Mounts Bay Rd shared path links into anything - stops dead at William Street and from there no roads have cycling facilities?
The current shared path on The Esplanade will be made permanent, so there will be a link from Mounts Bay road to the cycle lanes on Barrack Street and thus additional connectivity. If you want to get from the west to the east, the best choices will be The Esplanade (cycle lanterns at Barrack Street) or the bridge.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 am

As near as I can work out there will be a fairly confused ride immediately from the east of the island heading east to the Causeway or north into the CBD. More like going through the Murray Street mall than a defined path.

Sinner and anyone else that has any links to reasonably current plans and drawings, how about putting them up. So much stuff I see, including the MRA, are dated 2010 and the like. And much variance between versions. Confusing really.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 am

Sinner wrote:
wellington_street wrote:My understanding is that the bridge will be a shared path.
The current shared path on The Esplanade will be made permanent, so there will be a link from Mounts Bay road to the cycle lanes on Barrack Street and thus additional connectivity.
Interesting.
This shared path will be narrower than the footpaths on St Georges Tce which are apparently too dangerous to cycle on, so much so that the police did a 'blitz' to fine cyclists doing same.
Can't wait for the stupidity of the current shared path/footpaths laws to be removed.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Emailed MRA. I'll post if they respond and follow up if they do not.
Did you get a response?

Get used to PPZ in this area. PPZ will be replacing the previous RSP.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:00 pm

rolandp wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Emailed MRA. I'll post if they respond and follow up if they do not.
Did you get a response?

Get used to PPZ in this area. PPZ will be replacing the previous RSP.
Not yet, only emailed at 4pm before the weekend.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:00 pm

I was talking to Jeremey Murray of BWA this morning. Jeremey advises that subsequent to pressure (including form BWA) the footbridge was designed to enable dual use, principally by increasing width. It will be up to 6m wide with 4m the narrowest.

So realistically we can expect the decision for dual use will be honored.

London to a brick that we will get complaints from some pre-primed peds regardless of the behavior of cyclists, most of whom will ride appropriately. And the same odds that there will be a few tools on bikes that will flash through there.