Safety issue at Barrack Square-Advice please

ColinOldnCranky

Safety issue at Barrack Square-Advice please

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Crossing Riverside Drive from the south at the lights at the hugely mucky corner of Barrack Street and Riverside Drive I had to stop as a truck coming from the west entry from Barrack Square passed right over where I would have been if I had not very specifically taken note of him.

I have experienced the same before, indeed once had to block a pedestrian from walking in front of a vehicle. Peds, especially if entering from the south, are very likely not to notice as they mostly focus on the cars from the Causeway/East that should have stopped and then, halfway across, on any cars that SHOULD be waiting that are in front on Barrack Street. And the relative absence of vehicles from there makes it even less likely that a pedestrian a will watch for vehicles. I am guessing, the driver coming out of the Barrack Square mess is faced with a green light but nothing to indicate crossing peds.

As drivers mostly we only a need to watch out for pedestrians crossing in front of us when we are turning left onto a road, not pedestrians crossing. And where we do have to watch out for pedestrians crossing, there is a significant lead time first for the pedestrians, something I don't think is happening at this intersection.

I would think a BLINKING green light for those coming from Barrack Square would be the sensible and appropriate signal setting, not an unbroken green.

Any suggestions what agency I should address this to?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Re: Safety issue at Barrack Square-Advice please

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 pm

My suggested order:
MRA
City of Perth
Department of Transport

I am really looking forward to this project finishing and getting back to something normal.

Sinner

Re: Safety issue at Barrack Square-Advice please

Postby Sinner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

When the exit out of Barrack Square operated as a Give Way vehicles had a No Right Turn, so this shouldn't have happened without a Traffic Controller (speak to MRA).

The signals should now be fully operational, so the right turn signal will not operate at the same time that pedestrians get a green light. I'll check and pester Main Roads or MRA if there is an issue.