Ebikes and some Pbikes OK on the Railway Heritage Trail

cj7hawk

Ebikes and some Pbikes OK on the Railway Heritage Trail

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Ebikes and some Pbikes OK on the Railway Heritage Trail through Mundaring have been given an unofficial nod, as long as they go slow and ( in the case of pbikes ) don't make too much noise.

I spoke to the rangers today, and their biggest concerns are people traveling too fast through the area, but otherwise they are OK with offroad vehicles too and would exercise discretion based on the way the vehicles were being ridden, so scooters, powered skateboards and the like seem OK too as long as they are ridden slowly and safely with respect to horses and pedestrians...

A very positive attitude coming from the rangers, so I'll get some details when I try the trail and say how it went - I mentioned I'll be using a generator and they are OK with that too, as long as it's not too loud.

So it looks like there's some fun to be had there for riders who can't get up the stamina and power to do the 42km circuit without assist - and of course, don't forget to tone it down ( apparently, some normal bicycles have been tearing through of late, giving everyone a bad name, and that's what they are unhappy about, and they will be stopping anyone speeding through. )

Regards
David.

Baalzamon

Re: Ebikes and some Pbikes OK on the Railway Heritage Trail

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Did you do it today?

I spotted an ebike going clockwise today
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Did you do it today?

I spotted an ebike going clockwise today
Yes, I did it this afternoon, going clockwise - I cut short through brookering road (never that shortcut again !), and had another rider ( normal bike ) with me - For most of it, there were a lot of kids around, so I rode manual/electric only, with the engine turned off. I had a camera mounted on the top of my helmet and we were both wearing high-vis.

Regards
David.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Nope wasn't you I saw then, Yep lots of people about on the trail today. Very busy in sections. Mind you that powered bike I saw, had a dynamo mounted under the bottom bracket and idiot for what he did, almost took out 3 walkers. I was stopped at the car park off Pechey rd when I saw him.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 am

Baalzamon wrote:Nope wasn't you I saw then, Yep lots of people about on the trail today. Very busy in sections. Mind you that powered bike I saw, had a dynamo mounted under the bottom bracket and idiot for what he did, almost took out 3 walkers. I was stopped at the car park off Pechey rd when I saw him.
I saw three unlicensed off-road bikes tearing up the road as I got there, but didn't start the camera before that - Place seems like a magnet for that kind of stuff.

It wasn't a good place for going at any speed- too many kids and families - people who don't know how to react so we used the bell a long way off and rang it regularly - Still, some people felt the need to cross the path when we approached. Fortunately, it's very wide that side and easy to get around them.

I can't recall seeing that many people there before - the carpark was packed also.

Next time, I'm planning on doing the full circuit - and then when I'm a little more familiar with the trail, I'll try it lights-out.

David.

wexford

Postby wexford » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:26 am

The Darlington area (and the southern side in general) are pretty bad for unleashed dogs, too, despite the explicit warnings. It's a lot of fun to go barrelling down there but too risky if anyone is about. In the past few years it seems to have gotten busier.