Injured cyclist - drunk driver/hit and run

Scott_C

Re: Injured cyclist - drunk driver/hit and run

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 pm

cj7hawk wrote:What does this all mean with respect to third-party insurance, since it clearly does not exist in this case?
As CTP applies to the vehicle registration not driver licensing there may still be insurance for this incident.

If there isn't then Criminal Injuries Compensation would seem to be an option.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:11 pm

softy wrote:.
If you want to convince me most jounalist are decent people you will need a bit more than a few posts. Blaming cyclists for the danger and abuse they experience on the road is their own fault due not rally and lobbying is just absurd. It is the fault of the motorists who are putting cyclist lives in danger! Like this lady in this article.
Hi Softy -

I'm sorry to hear you've have problems with journalists. I won't try to defend them as a profession, but generally, they're just people and there's good and bad ones, and my experience says there's more good than bad. Still, like any group, there's going to be a spread in terms of ethics.

It's not cyclists fault that motorists put their life in danger, but it is up to cyclists to do something about it. Expecting someone else to solve the problem doesn't work well in any sector of society that I know of.

That's all I'm saying - If you're taking anything else from my words, then either you're misunderstanding them or I put them poorly.

I know what it's like to be hit by a car while riding. The one that hit me was doing well over 100 before it glanced off another car and t-boned me while I was waiting to cross the road at a t-intersection. My bicycle was ripped apart, and the steel frame embedded into the car's motor block. My head bounced off their bonnet smashing my helmet ( a proper helmet, not like today's ) and the left pedal was pushed almost completely through my left leg, with enough force that my flesh peeled the metal pedal from the shaft, leaving just the bolt that connected it. I still have the dent in my bones from where it went through and left a gaping hole. The scar is faded, but my muscles remember where it is and I can find it with my eyes closed, even before I can feel the damaged bone.

I was thrown more than 10 meters from there, hitting a lamp post, a tree and a square brick letterbox on a 45 degree angle. It feels kind of like being dumped by a wave and smashing into the bottom over and over again, and your lungs stop working, and when things settle, you don't breath, because none of your muscles work, and you're never really sure if that breath will come. Then you remember seeing the car coming straight at you and knowing it was going to hit, and there being nothing you can do...

That's before you realize every nerve in your body is screaming at the same time and you can't even cry out for help, even though you can hear rescuers have arrived, because you're too far from the road and your bike is so badly mangled under the front of the car, that no one knows it's there for several minutes.... And finally, after you say your prayers and get ready to die, you get your breath back and scream out for help, just as someone says there's a bicycle mangled under the car.

That's when they found me under a tree, well away from the wreckage.

So yeah, I know all about the pain. I know about the damage it does to your life and the pathetic compensation you receive ( I got $300 for the bicycle and nothing for the pain, or what it did to my schooling ). I know about the scars that remain strongest are the memories of the car coming straight for you, and knowing there's not a damn thing you can do, even to prepare for the impact.

I didn't ride a bicycle for over 25 years after that, and I still get flashbacks when I'm somewhere vulnerable and I hear a car screech or an engine racing.

So you're wrong if you think I don't want to do anything about it or that I'm just blaming cyclists out of convenience. I'm saying that I don't want to become a victim again, and I'd really like to see a strong advocacy group take these problems and continuously parade them in front of the media until they realize there's a story there, and put pressure on the politicians to effect a change to the way they deal with bicycles.

Please don't take this as an attack on your comment. I'm just trying to put a perspective forward.

Because I've been a victim too.

David.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:50 am

Hi David , I reckon don't worry about it.
Somethings just get you into trouble and defending somethings is futile. In cycling we tend to see more crap then gold from journos and that's just a generalization. Too many write from a non experienced base.
As an example I am a golf rules official with the VGA. It is not easy to get that accreditation. But I don't make it know as a golfer as it brings either condemnation or grief amongst other players or simple smart arse baited questions.
Stating you are a journo is similar on a forum and it maybe better to not lean on it..... :)
If I want an argument all I do at a barby is mention I am a cyclist....always guarantees blood on the ground... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 am

nachoman wrote:Now a good list of charges have been laid:

"The woman has been charged with no authority to drive (never held), excess 0.08, dangerous driving occasioning bodily harm, fail to stop and render assistance, fail to report incident to Police and dangerous driving.

The woman has been bailed to appear in the Midland Magistrates Court on Wednesday 22 July 2015."
And still no charges for that hit and run on Morrison Road a couple of weeks ago.
Absolute disgrace.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:23 pm

wellington_street wrote:And still no charges for that hit and run on Morrison Road a couple of weeks ago.
Which thread is that in?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Thoglette wrote:
wellington_street wrote:And still no charges for that hit and run on Morrison Road a couple of weeks ago.
Which thread is that in?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=84263&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
Which thread is that in?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=84263&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, that's the Midland one I presume.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Thoglette wrote:Thanks, that's the Midland one I presume.
Yep

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

What`s happening at court today? Might be on bail again.

Can`t find it in google.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

FIFOslacker

Postby FIFOslacker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... -recovers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

wellington_street wrote:
nachoman wrote:Now a good list of charges have been laid:

"The woman has been charged with no authority to drive (never held), excess 0.08, dangerous driving occasioning bodily harm, fail to stop and render assistance, fail to report incident to Police and dangerous driving.

The woman has been bailed to appear in the Midland Magistrates Court on Wednesday 22 July 2015."
And still no charges for that hit and run on Morrison Road a couple of weeks ago.
Absolute disgrace.
Wellington, with your obvious intellect (not sarcasm btw) I find it hard to believe that you don't know. It's normal to hold off on charges until the likely long term health effects on the victim are clearer. They DO like the prefix "grievous". 8) (This is often regardless of lesser charges not related to the severity of injury as there is no great need to rush them when the more serious charges are not yet decided upon.)

Anyway today she was charged in court with "six offences including excess 0.08, dangerous driving occasioning bodily harm and dangerous driving".
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

DuncanS

Postby DuncanS » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

# badchoices

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 am

Fair point Colin.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 pm

For Sale: Near new Fly6. Takes great footage, however it is unnecessary as WA Police will not act upon incidents.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 am

dmwill wrote:
For Sale: Near new Fly6. Takes great footage, however it is unnecessary as WA Police will not act upon incidents.
Point taken. But I'd still rather have it than not. Even if it doesn't necessarily result in police or court action, I think all these videos of cyclists being hit when they're very obviously NOT in the wrong (which is the case 80% of the time in bike vs car) might slowly start seeping into the public consciousness and chip away at the anti-bike feelings.

We can hope :roll:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

rihana10

Postby rihana10 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:31 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
softy wrote:.
If you want to convince me most jounalist are decent people you will need a bit more than a few posts. Blaming cyclists for the danger and abuse they experience on the road is their own fault due not rally and lobbying is just absurd. It is the fault of the motorists who are putting cyclist lives in danger! Like this lady in this article.
Hi Softy -

I'm sorry to hear you've have problems with journalists. I won't try to defend them as a profession, but generally, they're just people and there's good and bad ones, and my experience says there's more good than bad. Still, like any group, there's going to be a spread in terms of ethics.

It's not cyclists fault that motorists put their life in danger, but it is up to cyclists to do something about it. Expecting someone else to solve the problem doesn't work well in any sector of society that I know of dui classes Maryland.

That's all I'm saying - If you're taking anything else from my words, then either you're misunderstanding them or I put them poorly.

I know what it's like to be hit by a car while riding. The one that hit me was doing well over 100 before it glanced off another car and t-boned me while I was waiting to cross the road at a t-intersection. My bicycle was ripped apart, and the steel frame embedded into the car's motor block. My head bounced off their bonnet smashing my helmet ( a proper helmet, not like today's ) and the left pedal was pushed almost completely through my left leg, with enough force that my flesh peeled the metal pedal from the shaft, leaving just the bolt that connected it. I still have the dent in my bones from where it went through and left a gaping hole. The scar is faded, but my muscles remember where it is and I can find it with my eyes closed, even before I can feel the damaged bone.

I was thrown more than 10 meters from there, hitting a lamp post, a tree and a square brick letterbox on a 45 degree angle. It feels kind of like being dumped by a wave and smashing into the bottom over and over again, and your lungs stop working, and when things settle, you don't breath, because none of your muscles work, and you're never really sure if that breath will come. Then you remember seeing the car coming straight at you and knowing it was going to hit, and there being nothing you can do...

That's before you realize every nerve in your body is screaming at the same time and you can't even cry out for help, even though you can hear rescuers have arrived, because you're too far from the road and your bike is so badly mangled under the front of the car, that no one knows it's there for several minutes.... And finally, after you say your prayers and get ready to die, you get your breath back and scream out for help, just as someone says there's a bicycle mangled under the car.

That's when they found me under a tree, well away from the wreckage.

So yeah, I know all about the pain. I know about the damage it does to your life and the pathetic compensation you receive ( I got $300 for the bicycle and nothing for the pain, or what it did to my schooling ). I know about the scars that remain strongest are the memories of the car coming straight for you, and knowing there's not a damn thing you can do, even to prepare for the impact.

I didn't ride a bicycle for over 25 years after that, and I still get flashbacks when I'm somewhere vulnerable and I hear a car screech or an engine racing.

So you're wrong if you think I don't want to do anything about it or that I'm just blaming cyclists out of convenience. I'm saying that I don't want to become a victim again, and I'd really like to see a strong advocacy group take these problems and continuously parade them in front of the media until they realize there's a story there, and put pressure on the politicians to effect a change to the way they deal with bicycles.

Please don't take this as an attack on your comment. I'm just trying to put a perspective forward.

Because I've been a victim too.

David.
Hi
I was always a good kid. I studied, got good grades, and was active in sports and my community. But when I was 22, I made a mistake that has filled me with regret. I’m not a bad person, but I made a really bad decision.

It was summer, and after getting off my job one night at a local restaurant, a couple of us decided to go out to the lake and drink. I remember it being a really beautiful night — it was warm and clear, and we could see a million stars. We got a couple six packs of beer and sat around talking, losing track of time.

When we left, I don’t remember feeling drunk. Sure, I had a buzz going, but I didn’t think it was enough to impact my driving. About a mile away from home, I saw the police lights in my mirror. At first, it didn’t even occur to me that I was getting pulled over for drunk driving. But once the officer asked me to take a field sobriety test, I knew I was in trouble.

When they gave me a breathalyzer test, I blew a .10. I was arrested on the spot for a DUI. The process of going to court and being convicted was one of the lowest points in my life. I was sentenced to community service, alcohol education classes, and I lost my license for one year, in addition to all the money I spent in legal fees and fines.

Getting a DUI was a big wake-up call for me. I always considered myself responsible, and this single moment contradicts that. I realize now that I was way more intoxicated than I thought and that I’m very lucky I didn’t injure anyone or worse.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Admin Says, previous post reported as 'questionable'. Noted and member deactivated, they can contact me (forum admin) if they are interested in genuine forum participation.
Cycling is in my BNA

hooman

Postby hooman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Sorry, who got deactivated?