Heading (Deep) South on Kwinana PSP

Rusty6149

Heading (Deep) South on Kwinana PSP

Postby Rusty6149 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Just wanted to let folks know if you are heading to the far south on the Kwinana PSP, there are a couple of path diversions at present.

First one is between Mundijong Road and Safety Bay Road, where the path is being torn up for what looks like a new housing estate. The path diverts onto the shoulder of the Kwinana, with a barrier between you and the freeway. Lanes are OK - a little narrow.

The second diversion is not so good. Signs advertise "intermittent closures between Safety Bay Road and Karnup road - seek an alternate route". No diversion in place, so you are left to guess what to do. I guessed wrong, and re-entered the path via the housing estate next to Baldivis Secondary College. The path was not gated, so I thought it was OK. Wrong - landed up riding through wet tar (not easy to clean off, as I found out later), and climb around barriers at Karnup Road. I wasn't the only one ! The best diversion is to turn left at Safety Bay Road (Folly Road), 400m then right onto Young Road, for around 5 kms to Karnup Road, right turn then re-join the path. Other alternative is Baldivis Road, which I suspect is pretty busy with cars.

From the signs, the closure will be in place through August. Couldn't find any information on Main Roads website.

--Rusty

Tornado

Re: Heading (Deep) South on Kwinana PSP

Postby Tornado » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Couldn't have described it better Rusty. Hopefully we will be impediment free soon.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Guessing the cyclists in the first post of this page chose the freeway ....
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

From memory there was a post in WA subforum with the path cracking up, and Mainroad put down something else and it was bad. Now on both sides on the freeway they are doing works hmmm. I think they have found the problem = water and peat etc. So now they are doing engineer works to fixed that and now laying down new path.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:51 pm

The Main Roads website was only updated today, has little more to say:

"Kwinana Freeway Cycle and Pedestrian Path - Baldivis
Ongoing to mid-August
There will be intermittent closures (approximately 2 km in length) of the Kwinana Freeway cycle and pedestrian path, between Mundijong Road and Karnup Road, as works are carried out. Path users are encouraged to use an alternative route. "

At least this might mean that we don't have to play dodge the cracks anymore, or the witches hats that the contractors left there to mark the hazard areas and that kept being moved about by the local kids. I have hope that the astroturf trial section near Zigzag Rd gets removed, finally, to put real path bitumen back in.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm

It's odd how the black bitumen 20 metres to the right is faultless, but they can't figure out the cracks in the path.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 pm

The freeway pavement would be four or five times as thick as that on the shared path. I do share your frustration though

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 am

Tornado wrote:It's odd how the black bitumen 20 metres to the right is faultless, but they can't figure out the cracks in the path.
There is also substantially more work put into the base layers underneath the bitumen on a road than on a footpath due to the considerable differences in weight of the traffic (tolerances), so its actually not odd at all.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:02 am

Yeah I'm aware that they put a great deal more into creating the freeway. I've been held up going to and from work for the last 9 years whilst they have ripped it up multiple times trying to perfect it.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3