Tandem Request - Charity Ride

rolandp

Tandem Request - Charity Ride

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:59 pm

Each year we do a charity ride to Bunbury - last year it was for the Guide Dogs Association:

A very worth while organisation, but also because one of our staff recently became blind.

This year, we are again doing the ride, and I would like to take that staff member on the back of a tandem, at least we want to cover around 50kms of the event.

Would anyone have a tandem I can borrow for the event (end of October), as well as the lead up to the event for practice rides?

She is keen to do the event, and we are looking at different organisations to see if they have a loan tandem, but if you have an available one, let me know.

If you want to see additional video of last years event, footage below.

This year's charity is DreamFit who do amazing work at providing opportunities by building equipment to overcome barriers.

Please let me know if you have a tandem I could borrow.

WPH

Re: Tandem Request - Charity Ride

Postby WPH » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Roland

Probably be able to help end of October.

1993 Trek T200 with 10sp bar-ends and triple, 57cm front top tube with about 48cm front of stoker to saddle to rear of stoker bar (drops).

OR a 2006 Fuji Absolute Le 9sp Ultegra STI triple, shorter stoker cockpit with bull-horn bars.

Both bikes have 700c road tires, adjustable rear stems and good brakes. Both in regular use so mechanically A1. Also have a Thudbuster up my sleeve. BYO pedals or use the SPDs there, BYO seats but.

Am in Greenwood.

Does your stoker ride regularly or if she is N suburbs would she like a regular tandem hit-out? Mrs WPH (also an experienced captain) or I could be able to help.

Can you PM me and we can discuss some details? Will you do the Beverley Heroic? We aim to be there on the T200 for the 50 miler.

Will

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Will, thank you so much - let me have a word with my 'stoker' tomorrow and will PM you soon. She was never much of a rider before, and has never been on tandem ever. It will be a new experience for both of us.

She is also exploring the Blind Association, as they do organise tandem events, to see if they have available bikes, so really please I've got an option for her.

PM you later this week.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi Roland, happy to help as well. Cannondale to suit smaller riders; I'm 177cm and on the tall side for the bike, stoker would have to be shorter than me.

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Any info on the ride itself - I've often wanted to ride from Perth to bunbury but didn't fancy the bits past pinjarra solo

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:39 pm

get on to Erika Webb - she is organising tandem rides for sight impaired people all the time. PM me for her mail details
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Update to this one.

Last Sunday we spend a fantastic morning with the WA Tandem Association who provided instruction on riding a tandem, in particular, as the session was dedicated to those with limited sight, so not only did I learn about tandem riding, more importantly, communication.

They are able to loan us a tandem for 6 months which we have now picked up, and setting up some practice rides.

So thanks to RobertFrith and WPH for your kind offer. We were also offered a weekly loan from DreamFit, so in the end, there are some really nice people which I really appreciate.

The route we follow is from Pinjarra (with a stop of course at the bakery), Yarloop and then back onto the highway, and then cutting along the coastal route via Australind to Bunbury. We have done a slightly shorter router by taking the old Pinjarra Rd to the highway, but this way you spend more km's on the highway. There is a fair shoulder on the highway so it's a toss up of traveling the smaller road or taking the highway. I have ridden solo on the back routes and highway, and both have their challenges, so jbh, give it ago.

WPH

Postby WPH » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:09 am

Roland

What tandem do you have on loan? Just curious...

W

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:30 am

12 months on,and we are still riding. Article in WAToday, relating to tandem riding and visually impaired.