Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:02 pm

ball bearing wrote:"...Meteorology and climate change expert Professor Thomas Lyons was found lying unconscious next to his mangled bike on The Esplanade between Rockwood and Clive streets just after 6am Friday...."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 7534549200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've ridden there hundreds of times - I think it's either deliberate or a drunk.
Maybe you haven't noticed the wise council on the thread about waiting until we actually have something to go on. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

softy

Postby softy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Maybe the driver was coming towards the cyclist cutting the corner like many drivers do. Then clipped the cyclist approaching the corner.

At this point just an assumption.

The driver may of only seen the cyclist last minute. But should of stopped and assisted.

I do believe accidents do happen and are not intentional, what is concerning is the attitude of drivers to cyclist and the incrediblely light sentences drivers get.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the investigation.

I do hope he will be alright..... :(

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:32 pm

I'm all for not pre-judging the circumstances, but when you run, you forfeit your right to defend yourself in my opinion, it is an admission of guilt. Maybe you panic and give yourself in shortly after, but even if you are fully in the right, but leave a critically injured party behind you are denying them the crucial early treatment that can be the difference between life and death, and should be judged on that basis

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:14 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
ball bearing wrote:"...Meteorology and climate change expert Professor Thomas Lyons was found lying unconscious next to his mangled bike on The Esplanade between Rockwood and Clive streets just after 6am Friday...."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 7534549200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've ridden there hundreds of times - I think it's either deliberate or a drunk.
Maybe you haven't noticed the wise council on the thread about waiting until we actually have something to go on. :?
As a driver and a cyclist who has knowledge of the locality where this happened I fail to see how this could occur accidentally, especially in the early morning when there is very little traffic.

As pointed out above, the fact that the driver absconded justifies assumed culpability and possibly even intent.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:07 pm

WA Today has an updated article about the police chasing information regarding the hit and run that includes a still from CCTV vision showing the suspect vehicle heading Southbound on The Esplanade.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/polic ... jqsu0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit of Streetview detective work indicates that the footage is from before the crash based on the location of the camera.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:28 pm

ball bearing wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:

As a driver and a cyclist who has knowledge of the locality where this happened I fail to see how this could occur accidentally, especially in the early morning when there is very little traffic.

As pointed out above, the fact that the driver absconded justifies assumed culpability and possibly even intent.
I note that in some other less considering places (WA Today comments etc) many non-cyclists have rushed to a judgement that the cyclist must have been riding down the middle of the road (implying, as haters do, that the cyclist is at fault). Yet others here have easily come up with possible alternate scenarios. And on our knowledge those scenarios, though improbable, are more probable than what those haters have judged.

The simple fact of a cyclist being it there is highly improbable. So any scenario that proves true will also be an improbable set of events. Even yours. By definition those are not readily visible to you and I until after they are described..

As one who rides that route at that time (it was my daily route 250 days a year until I retired this year plus weekends) I also can't see too many probable scenarios other and the ones that you have suggested did come to mind.

The haters out there will do enough conjecture on why it was the cyclists fault. Let's refrain from doing the same, it only induces unworthy angst and bigotry and tribalism.
But with nothing much to go on atm and no great need to rush, I prefer, as others here do, to leave the conjectures we have unstated for the time being.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Scott_C wrote:WA Today has an updated article about the police chasing information regarding the hit and run that includes a still from CCTV vision showing the suspect vehicle heading Southbound on The Esplanade.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/polic ... jqsu0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit of Streetview detective work indicates that the footage is from before the crash based on the location of the camera.
I know the house - I had to bell their outside security one morning to let them know that they had a water leaking flooding their patio.

Yep, it is close, about 150m from Clive St which the earlier press pic showed. We may assume is the location of the hit. However bikes and peds being hit by cars often get carried for a great many tens of metres too. I did not notice any police road markings in the area.

It'd be a surprise if they had not uncovered some footage from multiple dwellings along MIllionaires Row. Good thing too.

I see they are asking for gopro footage from cyclists. That'd be a gem, they are usually good enough to discern the number plate with certainty.

Grev

Postby Grev » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:56 pm

From Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/WA.Police/video ... 599020158/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Grev wrote:From Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/WA.Police/video ... 599020158/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swerves into the parking bays. Possibly drunk, texting or on drugs?

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Channel 7 is reporting that a driver has come forward.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:Channel 7 is reporting that a driver has come forward.
One of the lessons to be learnt - don't run, it is more than likely only going to make your situation even worse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-21/p ... un/6793210
Man contacts police over cyclist hit and run in Perth suburb of Mount Pleasant

Posted 22 minutes ago

A man has contacted police over an alleged hit and run in Perth's south last week.

University professor Thomas Lyons, 65, was hit while cycling in the southern suburb of Mount Pleasant just before 6:00am on Friday.

He remains in hospital with severe head injuries.

Police found the car they believe was involved in the incident this afternoon and have seized it for forensic examination.

The vehicle was captured on CCTV both before the incident and after.

One of the car's side mirrors was torn off and found at the scene.

Major Crash Investigators are expecting to speak to the man this evening.

and https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... t-hit-run/
Man comes forward over Mt Pleasant hit-run

Tayissa Barone
September 21, 2015, 5:37 pm

Police have had a break through in the search for a car believed to have been involved in an accident that injured a leading climate-change scientist on Friday.

Emeritus Professor Thomas Lyons was riding his bicycle bike north along The Esplanade in Mt Pleasant when he was hit by a white Toyota HiLux travelling in the opposite direction about 6am.

Despite the force of the collision ripping the driver’s side mirror off the HiLux, the driver did not stop and continued south along the road.

This afternoon a man contacted police about the crash and a vehicle has been seized for forensic examination.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Yeah, it was implied that the vehicle was being "hidden" and dobbed in, police then contacted the owner.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Looking at vid of the ute running into the parking bays and I'm pretty sure they run out about there for a garden bed etc and then resume. So he must of swerved very quickly or the kerb and the utes wheel/tyre is going to have some damage to it.

Really hope this has a good outcome for Mr Lyons

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Is that a Fly6 camera on the back of the bike (still flashing in the Channel 7 footage shown in the above link?

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 am

In the news this morning they have the man. Now that the police have done the good work they have it is time for the justice system to fail us all once more.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:39 am

Now that the police have done the good work they have it is time for the justice system to fail us all once more.
Maybe not. It seems to me that under similar hit and run circumstances (Tim on Curtin Avenue at Leighton Beach) the offender eventually copped a 5 years and 3 months sentence. Time will tell.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:29 pm

citywomble wrote:
Now that the police have done the good work they have it is time for the justice system to fail us all once more.
Maybe not. It seems to me that under similar hit and run circumstances (Tim on Curtin Avenue at Leighton Beach) the offender eventually copped a 5 years and 3 months sentence. Time will tell.
People see what they want to see. I'm getting bored with it.

Exactly. Thanks for reminding us citywomble.

Not everyone gets a stiff sentence and not everyone gets off cheap. It's a matter of judging the circumstance. That's why we call them "judges".

Those complaints may be gratifying to the person that makes them but so to is a wet dream. And about as useful. I don't need to hear of either of them constantly and predictably.

Before making my ineffectual complaints I will wait until there are a few more facts and the judgement is made.

Yagan

Cyclist injured in hit and run in Mount Pleasant, Perth

Postby Yagan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:54 pm

citywomble wrote:
I suppose it is a matter of opinion that 5 years for a drunk driver killed someone and left the scene is an adequate sentence.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:35 pm

"@KACampbell81: #BREAKING: 46yo Parkwood man charged over serious crash in Mt Pleasant in which cyclist Thomas Lyons was critically injured. @perthnow"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:48 pm

For those feeling obliged to rant about weak charges, "why isn't he charged with murder" etc, serious cases like this commonly give rise to enough charges to hold and process. Those charges can later be amended, dropped, added to, etc.

For the time being the driver is in the system with limitations on him.

Has anyone heard anything more about Thomas Lyons? All that I have seen is repeating of his initial "critical" condition at the side of the road.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:52 pm

This appears to lay out the sequence of recent events for those looking for some clarity. Enough to go on to draw some inferences.
  • Mon arvo - Drivers lawyer contacted police
  • Mon evening - Police siezed vehicle
  • Tues morning - Driver presented himself to police. Interviewed and charged.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... n-charges/
Alleged hit-run driver charged

Tayissa Barone
September 22, 2015, 3:18 pm

Alleged hit run driver charged
Police examine a vehicle seized during an investigation into an alleged hit- run in Mt Pleasant.Picture:Ben Crabtree

Major crash investigators have charged a 46-year-old father over a crash in Mt Pleasant last week that has left a leading climate change scientist with critical injuries.

Thomas Lyons, 66, was travelling north along The Esplanade on Friday about 6am when he was allegedly hit by a dual cab Toyota HiLux travelling south.

Police made numerous pleas for the driver to come forward, even releasing CCTV footage from a home on The Esplanade on Sunday afternoon.

Last night investigators made a breakthrough when they seized the HiLux at a property in Parkwood.

Police say the accused’s lawyer contacted them yesterday afternoon and information passed onto them led to the seizure of the car.
Thomas Lyons remains in hospital with critical injuries. Picture: Supplied.

The 46-year-old presented himself to major crash investigators this morning and was interviewed.

He was charged with dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, failing to stop and render assistance and failing to report a traffic crash.

He was given bail and will appear in Fremantle Magistrate’s Court on November 4.

Professor Lyons remains in a critical but stable condition at Royal Perth Hospital.

Det-Sen. Sgt Brian Hunter thanked members of the public who came forward with information about the crash.

“It very much the CCTV that clinched it, (the accused) did come forward, it was very helpful to get the type of vehicle (on camera).

“It was only a matter of time before something happened,” he said.
The wrecked bike.
He said if people did still have footage of the crash investigators would appreciate if they could come forward.

“We would be happy to receive any other evidence that people have in this matter,” Det.Sen. Sgt Hunter said.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:27 am

In my opinion the media should be congratulated on solving this case.
If you had a Hilux with a drivers side mirror missing, you couldn't leave the house with it. You couldn't get it repaired.
You wouldn't even want to let your family find out about it.
This guy is 46 with 3 kids probably aged between 15 and 20.
Imagine what his wife and 3 kids are thinking of him with all the coverage this has received. They know that their father/husband knowingly left someone innocent to die on the road.
Whilst most cyclist related news of this type causes an immediate rant from the anti cycling brigade, the vast majority of responses in this case have been against the driver.
Why? Because in the end this is not about cyclists or drivers but the lack of remorse it takes to leave someone to suffer and die alone on the road.
Not only did this person do this but he reinforced his decision by not returning or handing himself in till 3 days later.
This is a truly bad person in every sense of the word.
Last edited by Hugor on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:23 am

At the risk of jumping to conclusions it looks to me like he was attempting (badly) to repair the damage. Couldn't see any of the bog or grey paint on the CCTV footage but I'll admit the resolution wasn't that great. Damage from a previous accident? That would be a remarkable coincidence and most people would take a relatively new car like this to a panel beater rather than make the puss-poor attempt that this repair is.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am

So with that amount of damage to the front right of the car it's hard to argue he wasn't aware of hitting the cyclist. Presumably his lawyer will have to run with the "I panicked" excuse for running which has been tried in the past.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 am

I doubt that there is anyone here or in the broader community who would find anything to explain the drivers behaviour in any way but as heinous and amoral.

Following on from Hugor's theme, I would not want to be in this guys shoes even if he somehow gets off with a mild slap on the wrist. Even a sociopath is gonna feel the wrath of this over a long period of time.

Has anyone heard anything more on the condition of Thomas Lyons (the rider)?