Elizabeth Quay almost opened

ColinOldnCranky

Elizabeth Quay almost opened

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:16 pm

On the ride in this morning I was greeted with what has becoem a rare sight - cycle groups around the Barrack Street precinct.

Tis morning it was finally occupied by people, popup stalls and redy access to many of the businesses there.

The actual Elizabeth Quay is still a mess but hopefuly it will soon follow suit.

Twitter pic at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRfVeWqUAAA4wPH.jpg

(Captains choice :Elizabeth Quay" - stick it to the Premier and refer to it as "Betty's Jetty")
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

BandedRail

Re: Elizabeth Quay almost opened

Postby BandedRail » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:54 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: (Captains choice :Elizabeth Quay" - stick it to the Premier and refer to it as "Betty's Jetty")
Or "Lizzy's Duck Pond"

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:24 pm

You know, if you remove a piece of the Q so it becomes a C and put it next to the A to make it a N, it makes for something that appears like a fairly obscene word... Given the stylized writing of the place, I'm surprised they didn't figure that out during the planning stages - since it wouldn't take graffiti artists much to change it. But then, give the UK OGC controversy, maybe they did know about it.

Anyone holding a book on when they'll ban bikes from anything other than being pushed over the bridge like they did in East Perth?

David.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 pm

cj7hawk wrote:Anyone holding a book on when they'll ban bikes from anything other than being pushed over the bridge like they did in East Perth?
Judging by the road surface they have chosen for Barrack Square, it seems they are already trying to discourage cyclists. It was so bad I took the footpath.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Nah, it was designed for mountain bikers ;)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:11 am

cj7hawk wrote:You know, if you remove a piece of the Q so it becomes a C and put it next to the A to make it a N, it makes for something that appears like a fairly obscene word... Given the stylized writing of the place, I'm surprised they didn't figure that out during the planning stages - since it wouldn't take graffiti artists much to change it. But then, give the UK OGC controversy, maybe they did know about it.

Anyone holding a book on when they'll ban bikes from anything other than being pushed over the bridge like they did in East Perth?

David.
After the outcry about making it ped only they redesigned the bridge to accommodate both. It is 5m wide at it's narrowest. Which is so wide that, if they have problems with co-existence, they could, at a pinch, retrofit separation between the two.

Unless cyclists show them selves to be total selfish trackriding wannabe idiots I'd bet on it continuing to be available for both.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:45 am

nachoman wrote:Judging by the road surface they have chosen for Barrack Square, it seems they are already trying to discourage cyclists. It was so bad I took the footpath.
Is that a "shared space"? If so, it's an appropriate treatment, as there's far too many
ColinOldnCranky wrote:total selfish trackriding wannabe idiots
around who'd barrel through at 20+kph :evil:

Even if it looks like it'll be bloody slippery in the first rains of May! :shock:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 pm

nachoman wrote:
Judging by the road surface they have chosen for Barrack Square, it seems they are already trying to discourage cyclists. It was so bad I took the footpath.

Embrace - now perth has another pavé sector!

The first pave sector is the Mitchell fwy PSP :lol:
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:25 pm

BandedRail wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote: (Captains choice :Elizabeth Quay" - stick it to the Premier and refer to it as "Betty's Jetty")
Or "Lizzy's Duck Pond"
Or Barnett's Folly

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Mediocratus wrote:
BandedRail wrote:
Or "Lizzy's Duck Pond"
Or Barnett's Folly
Barnett's Folly? It won't work. When used we could not be sure which particular folly you are referring to :mrgreen: I could list a whole lot but that may be a bit too politically partisan for this forum.

I think in the context of the common interest of those on this forum we should reserve his "folly" for "failing to recognise that there are legitimate forms of transport other than the car".

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Note, the Riverside diversion has been pushed until mind-Dec.

Also take care on The Esplanade/Barack St corner. There is a nasty diversion that takes you to a 15cm curb drop which I hit late last week - it has been reported to MRA, and may already be resolved as I noticed on the weekend staff moving some of the fencing on The Esplanade. The 'shared path' on The Esplanade may be open if those fences have been moved.

BUT, Mounts Bay Road was also opened to two way traffic recently. I did notice a couple of cyclists get a surprise when there was a car behind as we've had exclusive access to the west bound lane for several months now.

inline_online

Postby inline_online » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:09 pm

nachoman wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:Anyone holding a book on when they'll ban bikes from anything other than being pushed over the bridge like they did in East Perth?

Bad surface for cycling, brutal for inline skating. I hit it after they first laid it and nearly didn't make it through. I ended up waddling through like a duck.
Oh well, at least the paths on the southern side of the river are supurb.
Powerslide R4 (3 x 125mm)
Seba Marathon (Two sets of frames: 4 x 110mm, 3 x 125mm)
Cannondale CAAD8

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 pm

With just over one week until Elizabeth Quay opens, is there any published maps showing which sections of Elizabeth Quay se will legally be able to cycle on?

Plenty of interesting things to do on the 29th Jan when it opens, but who is going to be the first one to use the new SHARED bridge, and will it be a joint event for both cyclists and pedestrians given that it is a SHARED bridge. I'm taking a stab, due to the potential volume of people, riding may be restricted.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 pm

The bridge won't be open on the 29th, because of the opening "event". They still haven't sorted out what to do with cyclists on The Esplanade on that day either. Let's look forward to the 30th!

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Mediocratus wrote:
BandedRail wrote:
Or "Lizzy's Duck Pond"
Or Barnett's Folly
Lizzy's Loch.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:46 pm

rolandp wrote:With just over one week until Elizabeth Quay opens, is there any published maps showing which sections of Elizabeth Quay se will legally be able to cycle on?

Plenty of interesting things to do on the 29th Jan when it opens, but who is going to be the first one to use the new SHARED bridge, and will it be a joint event for both cyclists and pedestrians given that it is a SHARED bridge. I'm taking a stab, due to the potential volume of people, riding may be restricted.
Is there a Strava segment set up for the bridge yet? haha

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Mediocratus wrote:Or Barnett's Folly
Given what was reported about the likelyhood of sedimentation issues (and no $$ to dredge) it'll be "Barnett's Bogpond"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Why did we the people, tax payers of this state fund this project, when it should have been put out for tender to the highest bidder, guidelines, OK go ahead...really?

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:The first pave sector is the Mitchell fwy PSP :lol:

Not sure whether to :lol: or :cry: . I thought crazy paving went out of fashion in the 80's.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:47 pm

nachoman wrote:

I had fun riding on that, reminded me of my childhood, screaming into the pedestal fan and hearing my voice wave, or when driving over bumpy roads.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:48 am

It is now opened, and I know of two BNA cyclists who were there yesterday afternoon, walking their bikes. One was me, and the second was Colin on his unicycle.

I was told at the entrance that I had to dismount and walk through the quay. This was then confirmed at the information booth, that from Saturday 30th Jan 2015 we would be able to cycle at low speed across the bridge. I did ask where this information had been provided to the public, 'thank you for this question, I will take a note of that', recording in a notebook page, was the response. I also did ask what 'slow speed' was and how long this restriction would apply, no real response, but the 10-odd page QA printout that they had was consulted, where cycling was on page 6'ish, and it was confirmed 'slow speed'.

I was also advised that we could continue to use the existing diversion along Mounts Bay Road, to which I then questioned why a row of toilets had been installed blocking that diversion. 'thank you for this question, I will take a note of that', recording in a notebook page, was the response. She also did discuss with her colleague, who indicated that the toilets had been installed for the opening event.

Unclear how I will be provided with a formal response to these questions, as I wasn't asked for contact details, so will follow up once again with MRA, who had mid last year promised to provide documentation on where we would be able to cycle closer to the opening, but haven't seen anything published to the public at this time.

Though the diversion signs are still in place yesterday evening, the shared path along side Riverside Drive is open - definition of open, the fencing has been pulled back allowing a gab through the shared path. The one down from The Narrows is a little tight, the one on Riverside Drive is fully open. Also received confirmation from City of Perth yesterday that the shared path was re-opened, but just tad surprised that the 9 month closure of this shared path didn't provide an opportunity for maintenance to occur as there are still large holes/cracks in the shared path.

The homeless have also taken up camp in one of the underpasses, so slow down on approach.

So, who is the first person to cycle over the bridge?

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Set up a strava bridge segment and watch people go for it.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:22 am

I walked my bike over the bridge Friday afternoon at the opening, with Strava running.

I was also down there Saturday evening (without bike) and asked one of the friendly security guards who advised no riding over the bridge until after Monday.
rolandp wrote:Though the diversion signs are still in place yesterday evening, the shared path along side Riverside Drive is open - definition of open, the fencing has been pulled back allowing a gab through the shared path.
A couple of photos of the grand re-opening of this section from Friday 5pm:

Of course the City of Perth website hasn't been updated since July and still expects a mid August opening (5 months ago)

softy

Postby softy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:44 am

Hee hee

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Closed!!! Crikey i have riding down the path for months :roll:
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"