South Terrace Proposed Street Upgrade

Aushiker

South Terrace Proposed Street Upgrade

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 am

Hi

You can have your say; choose one of two options [bike lanes, no bike lanes] at the City of Fremantle website.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: South Terrace Proposed Street Upgrade

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:49 am

Having had a cursory glance at the designs (Option 1 & Option 2), I'd have to opt for no bike lanes. :(

I wouldn't want to ride in the door zone along that stretch, and that's what the proposed bike lane offers. I'd rather take the whole lane in slower moving car traffic in which the speed limit is 40km/h.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi,

It's a pity there is no option3/comments.

In my opinion option1 has door zone bike lanes so, while perhaps encouraging inexperienced cyclists, would be shunned by experienced cyclists who would wish to ride primary outside of the killer door zones. Unfortunately they will be disenfranchised by the bike lanes and subject to punishment passes.

In option2 the lane widths combined with the medians will lead to dangerous conflict. Too narrow to safely overtake they will induce dangerous close passing, particularly of more vulnerable and less experienced cyclists who are slower and will ride secondary. This exposes the least competent to door zones and DGAF, MGIF passing. More experienced and faster cyclists will ride primary and control the lane and would be just as happy with nothing done.

Option1, without bike lanes and wider shared lanes would be better if medians are still installed.
Option 1, with door zone buffer, bike lanes and no median (swapped out for buffers) would be even safer.

Option3 with wider verges (more trees where shade benefits pedestrians), the same parking and even room for buffer door zone marking, a narrower shared road 6.0m wide (with no median so allowing for safe overtaking), a 30km/h speed limit and Sharrows, to me, would seem to be the best option.
This could even be enhanced by reducing shared lanes to 2.7m (to make it really clear that overtaking is the only way to pass cyclists and further slow traffic) and creating a flush 'rumble' median to 'calm' but not restrict overtaking vehicles. This flush 'median' could be 0.6m wide (or wider if the verge widening was reduced).

Cyclists hate medians and pedestrians love trees - so why plant them in the middle of the road?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:01 pm

There is an information session:
Information session 2 December 2015 6:30-7:30PM Fremantle administration building
Staff will be hosting an information session on the South Terrace proposals on 2 December at the administration building, 8 William Street.
If you would like to meet the project team and get into the details of the project please come along.
Doors open from 6:30PM with tea and coffee available.

Perhaps feedback should be given on 'doors opening', otherwise tea and coffee will be available from your hospital bed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 pm

A few of the riders that end of town could do with an upgrade while they are at it.

I like the way that cyclists get a pretty easy go if it in Freo and wish it was the same elsewhere. But I have seen some pretty stupid actions there too.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:24 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I like the way that cyclists get a pretty easy go if it in Freo and wish it was the same elsewhere. But I have seen some pretty stupid actions there too.
Got some young tradie's McDonalds thrown at me one evening. And I was on a back street.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:53 pm

yeah I commute into and out of Fremantle every day. I don't notice any difference compared to the rest of the city, close shaves, horns, abuse, all the usual stuff.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate