Is it compulsory to use bike lanes

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 am

Acording to the WA Government Road Safety Commission...
Cyclists:
must ride in a bicycle lane if one is provided and in a reasonable condition for use

http://rsc.wa.gov.au/Topics/Cycling
I was not aware of a compulsion. Is it so in WA? (Strict letter of the law, not opinions or "beliefs".)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

warthog1

Re: Is it compulsory to use bike lanes

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:31 am

In Vic the wording is "practicable".
Sounds like your get out clause is "reasonable".
As they are often littered with puncture causing debris, populated with pedestrians, or placed in a door zone, it could be argued they are often unreasonable for safe use.
That's if they are similar to ours.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:33 am

Yes, that's the law. However to be a "cycle lane" it must be marked by a posted sign.
Painted bike symbols on the road don't count.
And it must be re-posted after a junction. It does not automatically continue through.

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 213

213 . Riding in bicycle lane

Wherever a bicycle lane is provided as part of a carriageway, and is in a reasonable condition for use, a rider of a bicycle shall use that portion of a carriageway and no other.

Regulation 3 defines what a cycle lane is;

bicycle lane means a marked lane, or the part of a marked lane —

(a) beginning at a “bicycle lane” sign applying to the lane; and

(b) ending at the nearest of the following:

(i) an “end bicycle lane” sign applying to the lane;

(ii) an intersection (unless the lane is at the unbroken side of the continuing road at a T‑intersection or continued across the intersection by broken lines);

(iii) if the carriageway ends at a dead end — the end of the carriageway;
Last edited by Cycleops70 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 am

I'd prefer "practicable" clause, rather than "good condition", as the bike lane may be in excellent condition (smooth, clear of debris) but unsafe to use.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:38 am

Cycleops70 wrote:I'd prefer "practicable" clause, rather than "good condition", as the bike lane may be in excellent condition (smooth, clear of debris) but unsafe to use.
I've sent an email off to the road safety commission asking if cars parked next to the cycle lane would render it not to be in a reasonable condition for use -

I'll post back here what I receive -

Thanks
David

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:30 am

The wording of the WA law is stupid as it doesn't allow you not to use the bike lane in situations where it is impractical. e.g. if you are turning right you cannot legally exit the bike lane to ride on the road to make a right turn.

It isn't the worst of the wording changes from the national standard though as WA cyclists are not allowed to overtake on the left of vehicles that are about to turn left even if they aren't indicating the turn. i.e. we are legally required to be psychic to determine a vehicle is about to turn left.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 am

.."provided as part of a carraigeway.." I would interpret that as being roadway rather than a PSP. Am I right?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm

I assume this refers to dedicated cycle lanes on roads and does not mean you have to use a PSP rather than the road. (As I understand it, the shoulder is not really a cycle lane, though most treat it as one). That being the case, I cannot think of a single dedicated cycle lane on a road in any of the routes I take (north) other than Marmion northbound from Warwick Road. Where are they?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:42 pm

worzel wrote:I assume this refers to dedicated cycle lanes on roads and does not mean you have to use a PSP rather than the road. (As I understand it, the shoulder is not really a cycle lane, though most treat it as one). That being the case, I cannot think of a single dedicated cycle lane on a road in any of the routes I take (north) other than Marmion northbound from Warwick Road. Where are they?
A few off the top of my head:
- Murray Street (1 block - Elder to Milligan)
- Hepburn Avenue east of Wanneroo Road
- Curtin Avenue south of Marine Parade
- Parry Street, Fremantle
- South Terrace past the hospital etc.

I'm sure there must be others??

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:58 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:I'd prefer "practicable" clause, rather than "good condition", as the bike lane may be in excellent condition (smooth, clear of debris) but unsafe to use.
I've sent an email off to the road safety commission asking if cars parked next to the cycle lane would render it not to be in a reasonable condition for use -

I'll post back here what I receive -

Thanks
David
you could also inquire if the council feels fit to plant pear trees in the said lane if this is a reasonable condition.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... e7a5c35ea6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 pm

I felt so naughty this morning riding on Canning Beach Road and Burke Drive when there was a path next to the road.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:23 pm

As has been said;

Those "things" on the edge of the road with a white line and bicycle symbol are nothing but a shoulder of the road.

Yes i have seen a few labelled properly with;
Sign "bicycle lane"
Symbol with lane underneath

now most of them are not labelled properly as per the code, so mean nothing. The only one i have found in my travels is on the Reid hwy shoulder, installed by MRD.

so not really to much to worry about.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 pm

softy wrote:so not really to much to worry about.
Beg to differ.

Most motorists have no idea about the legal distinctions regarding <bike symbol> LANE signs. As far as they're concerned they're a bike lane and we MUST use them.

When the "bicycle shoulder lanes" (as the Council traffic engineer calls them) went in along the main drag through my suburb, I refused to use them due to dooring risk, preferring to stay out in the main thoroughfare between groups of parked cars rather than risk having to find non-existent space when a driver refused to yield me the buffer space I needed to get out of the door zone.

In the first few months punishment passes were a daily occurrence from drivers self-righteously taking it upon themselves to teach me a lesson for having the temerity to step out of my place.

Now that they are no longer new and have become a background feature, I am treated much better than when they were shiny and new.

Laughably, the lanes markings have pretty much worn off on left turning curves from being run over so much by passing drivers.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:50 pm

wellington_street wrote:
worzel wrote:I assume this refers to dedicated cycle lanes on roads and does not mean you have to use a PSP rather than the road. (As I understand it, the shoulder is not really a cycle lane, though most treat it as one). That being the case, I cannot think of a single dedicated cycle lane on a road in any of the routes I take (north) other than Marmion northbound from Warwick Road. Where are they?

We can now add Barack St Perth to the list.
There are a couple more in the Perth CBD, but when the risk of dooring can occur when you do use the cycle lane. The lane may be in 'reasonable condition', but the choice of being doored when riding in the cycle lane, or moving over to the road, I will take the road.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:20 am

I would argue that if the lane was unsafe to use, then it is in poor condition.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 am

Even if they were bike lane they are just a horror to ride on with cars and trucks doing 80kph.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 am

outnabike wrote:Even if they were bike lane they are just a horror to ride on with cars and trucks doing 80kph.

That's a killing zone. Whoever approved that needs to be in gaol.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am

Correct, shared paths are not compulsory.
Neither is anything on roads with or without a painted bike symbol.

It must have a posted sign to be mandatory.

However, it has quite rightly been pointed out that the vast majority of motorists do not have a clue of the road rules, and will happily teach you a lesson in their ignorance with their 1.5 tons of car.

There's a fine line between riding in a position to protect yourself & cutting your losses & removing yourself from the risk.

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am

Cycleops70 wrote:There's a fine line between riding in a position to protect yourself & cutting your losses & removing yourself from the risk.
Agreed, though I am not sure substantially removing the risk is an option. It is all about assessing the risk and choosing the lesser of two evils when riding a bike generally, not just in respect of bike lane vs regular lane. It is oft discussed on here, but going through a red light a few seconds before it goes green, turning left on red etc winds up motorists but I believe is usually done on the grounds of safety rather than impatience. But it staggers me the risks I see people taking on bikes though. It it a daily event to be overtaken on a blind corner / crest, that I see someone narrowly miss getting hit by a car (Hutton St usually), someone pulls out of a side path without looking etc. Does the inherent danger in riding make you more willing to accept risks or is it only daredevils that ride bikes?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:13 pm

wellington_street wrote:

Hampton Road, Fremantle
Port Beach Road, North Fremantle.

Ah a couple I can think off right off the top of my head.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:05 pm

wellington_street wrote: I'm sure there must be others??
Aberdeen St Northbridge -not sure if it's fully, correctly "signed"
Barrack St (now)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Wide buffered Bike Lanes have been installed in King Edward Road, Osborne Park/Innaloo.

These are fully compliant 1.5m wide bike lanes with an additional 0.5m painted buffer to increase separation by passing vehicles.

Worth looking at and, as they have been installed by Main Roads on a trial basis, if you approve of them let Main Roads know.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:14 am

^ citywomble, is there any physical protection near the lights to deter motorists from queuing in them?
Thoglette wrote:
wellington_street wrote: I'm sure there must be others??
Aberdeen St Northbridge -not sure if it's fully, correctly "signed"
Barrack St (now)
Nope Aberdeen is shoulder only. Nasty door zones too.