Group Ride Etiquette

NASHIE

Re: Group Ride Etiquette

Postby NASHIE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:36 pm

방구 똥 wrote:On my way to work this morning, I ended up behind 2 riders for a little while. They were on the same route, but I tried to stay back so that they don't think I am joining their group.
Then I started thinking, what does it mean to join a group ride?
When are these uninvited riders considered "joining"?
If they are riding the same route, at the same speeds, is this joining already?
You can't help but be on the same patch of dirt at times, but joining in a group ride, which is really 5+ riders, is rolling through and taking turns on the front etc. If your just hanging of the back then there's really no issue. Once you start rolling through the pack , the others riders need confidence in your riding ability to not touch wheels etc and cause a crash, i.e. you are all effectively working as a team

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 pm

I predominately ride by myself, a function of my own poor organisation and the need to be a bit flexible in start times.

On more than one ocassion I have found myself in a group for no other reason that the group is unable to organise themselves to pass me in an orderly fashion.

Example: Victoria Ave heading back to Perth, a slight but testing incline when on the rivet. A group of about 20 riders start to roll past. I stick to the left, dodge the inevitable elbow and close pass. The group gets about haf way through. There I am mid pack, riders on my front wheel and my back wheel. What happened? The group lead sudenly decided that he/she couldn't maintain the pace, the group slowed, and I'm in the middle.

This was an organised group from a well known club.

What happened next was amazing. The group shattered, riders took off past the leader, a number of smaller groups formed. From what I could see there was no attempt to reform. The poor group lead was left languishing, no-one stayed with him/her. I passed him/her and that was the last I saw of them.

So... there are two sides to the story , yes there are the lazy so-and-so's who will intentionally wait and pick up on the tail of a group, possibly to up their average speed on Strava :?

There are also so riders who find themselves mid group for no other reason than thr group can't get past.

Should I slow to let them past? Possibly, but why, I'm not in the group, I would have though it was their responsibility to get past, not mine.

end rant/
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:27 pm

I hesitate when I see a group ahead and want to pass them.
I make sure I don't lift up both hands in the sky after passing.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:07 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Yeah im not suggesting you just suck it up and let him join, was moreso getting at your only real option is to slow/stop until he has had enough & buggers off.
Have a team greek food night the evening before. Lotsa garlic. Don't shower. Next morning let the guy hang at the back. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:36 pm

If this fella always tacks onto your same route, why not change route to miss him and deny him that chance to join.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Was this sorted out?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:23 pm

방구 똥 wrote:Was this sorted out?
+1. Interested to know, and what was done.

Seems to me if this guy has targeted you, isn't going to take advice and is intent on continuing to behave like a pest your only option is to get the rusted-on guys to agree to a route change for a month or so. It might be annoying, but is better than having this guy take someone out with his antics.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:31 pm

...or drop him when he tries to hop on :mrgreen:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 pm

m@ wrote:...or drop him when he tries to hop on :mrgreen:
I vote for this! Drop him and post a video!

MCHammer

Postby MCHammer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Him and his mate seem to have got the message, they weren't waiting at their usaal spot on Sat, will see what happens next Sat.