Cyclist killed in car collision, Bennett Springs, 6/12/2015

R12RT

Re: Cyclist killed in car collision, Bennett Springs, 6/12/2015

Postby R12RT » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:38 am

Wixxy wrote:Is the memorial I've passed recently at the junction of Altone and Marshall with a white bicycle connected with this?

My brother passed a cycle collision on Beechboro just below Marshall a few weeks back.
Yes. The "Ghost Bike" you have seen there is a memorial to Tom.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Thanks Andrew, well pointed out. Many here need to take off their self-righteous tribal blinkers from time to time.

I have been looking for a while for a video clip I've seen of a cyclist riding highly dangerously (for peds) around a corner shop front door on a narrow footpath, dropped off the kerb without even looking and was crushed under a bus who happened to be going by and already occupied that space. A prime example of where a driver has NOT committed any offense or done anything even a smidgin wrong. Something for those that say that the simple fact of an accident MUST make any driver involved somewhat culpable.

This forum would have to be about the least tribal forum on the internet but we still are to some extent. The world needs less "tribal".
That's the one at Neutral Bay which Duncan Gay used as his jumping-off point for trying to impose licensing on cyclists in this state. I think his words were "I'm increasingly persuaded that we need to look at licenses for cyclists." The video was from the Retravision store on the corner. More info here (where else bu the Daily Telegraph :roll: )

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/nation ... 650e72926d

I agree the cyclist won the Darwin Award, and it was not the driver's fault.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Thanks Andrew, well pointed out. Many here need to take off their self-righteous tribal blinkers from time to time.

I have been looking for a while for a video clip I've seen of a cyclist riding highly dangerously (for peds) around a corner shop front door on a narrow footpath, dropped off the kerb without even looking and was crushed under a bus who happened to be going by and already occupied that space. A prime example of where a driver has NOT committed any offense or done anything even a smidgin wrong. Something for those that say that the simple fact of an accident MUST make any driver involved somewhat culpable.

This forum would have to be about the least tribal forum on the internet but we still are to some extent. The world needs less "tribal".
That's the one at Neutral Bay which Duncan Gay used as his jumping-off point for trying to impose licensing on cyclists in this state. I think his words were "I'm increasingly persuaded that we need to look at licenses for cyclists." The video was from the Retravision store on the corner. More info here (where else bu the Daily Telegraph :roll: )

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/nation ... 650e72926d

I agree the cyclist won the Darwin Award, and it was not the driver's fault.
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if this is the one I recall but very close.

The one I recall the bus was continuing along the one road at normal bus speed and the cyclist more or less didn't see the bus that was already occupying the space that the cyclist eventually dropped onto. Both remarkably similar and both demonstrate the same point in spades.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:50 pm

@ColinOldnCranky given how many of the other details line up with your recollection (corner store, video existing, rider dropping off path, riding dangerously among peds immediately prior, bus involved etc) I'm pretty confident this is it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:11 am

trailgumby wrote:@ColinOldnCranky given how many of the other details line up with your recollection (corner store, video existing, rider dropping off path, riding dangerously among peds immediately prior, bus involved etc) I'm pretty confident this is it.
You are likely right, just not quite the image in my mind. Anyway, it admirably demonstrates the point. It IS possible for a driver to kill someone without being culpable in the least. And worht remembering from time to time.

Notwithstanding that some here do state that an incident between a cyclist and a car absolutely has to be the fault of a driver who belongs in gaol with a daily flogging, I make the observation that BNA forum is generally very even-handed and an exception in the tribalism of the web.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle