PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Dale S

Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby Dale S » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Just an update on progress of the new bridge over Welshpool Rd as rode through there today.
The western approach side has lights up, wire fencing posts in but no wire on them, path shoulders have compacted limestone and looks close to completion, but the eastern side I noticed today they have put base down for a path down from eastern ramp to Welshpool rd, which yet to be sealed. Looks to be little fencing up yet and appears to be a fair way behind western side in progress.
Late July opening an optimistic possibility, but more than likely August.

splitz

Postby splitz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Dale S wrote:Just an update on progress of the new bridge over Welshpool Rd as rode through there today..........<snip>..........but the eastern side I noticed today they have put base down for a path down from eastern ramp to Welshpool rd, which yet to be sealed. Looks to be little fencing up yet and appears to be a fair way behind western side in progress.
Late July opening an optimistic possibility, but more than likely August.
That's weird, I drove past 10 days ago and the road base on the Eastern (Midland) side had been sealed? Well I assumed so...it was very BLACK! :wink:
"....just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me...."

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 pm

[/quote]
That's weird, I drove past 10 days ago and the road base on the Eastern (Midland) side had been sealed? Well I assumed so...it was very BLACK! :wink:[/quote]

This isn't up the top part path from bridge, this was an exit path down to eastern side of welshpool rd, that looks to have just been added.

splitz

Postby splitz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 am

Dale S wrote:
That's weird, I drove past 10 days ago and the road base on the Eastern (Midland) side had been sealed? Well I assumed so...it was very BLACK! :wink:[/quote]

This isn't up the top part path from bridge, this was an exit path down to eastern side of welshpool rd, that looks to have just been added.[/quote]

OK that makes sense now. I was talking about where the path comes down from the bridge heading towards Midland to the existing traffic/train bridge!

Cheers

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:14 am

I go back to work in August. Hope it is done by then.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 pm

The new path on the north-western side of Roe Highway, from Chisholm Cres, over the railway line, then over the new Orrong Rd bridge to the existing path at Elkhorn St, is sealed all the way now.
There are a couple of missing drain covers (so take care if you ride it) and not all the lines are marked yet, but lights are up and even the blue and white bike path signs are up. There are multiple construction gates which are still closed.
I reckon they could have it open in a week if they chose to.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Perfect. I take Chisolm to get to work.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 am

Open today, Hopefully ????
Will drive past tonight on the way home and let you know
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Ride through yesterday and was still closed sadly.
The fence posts are in on eastern side but no wire on them and on western side they still haven't done all the lane markings.
Bit depressing every time I go past and they just appear to be fluffing around with landscaping.
Surely they could of concentrated on getting it open and then finish landscaping, has to be one of the slowest projects I have seen happen, they started building this overpass last November, had bridge sections in place in March, thought it would of taken at worst two months later once the bridge was in place.
Still think we won't see it open till late July or August sadly.

splitz

Postby splitz » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 am

Dale S wrote:Ride through yesterday and was still closed sadly.
The fence posts are in on eastern side but no wire on them and on western side they still haven't done all the lane markings.
Bit depressing every time I go past and they just appear to be fluffing around with landscaping.
Surely they could of concentrated on getting it open and then finish landscaping, has to be one of the slowest projects I have seen happen, they started building this overpass last November, had bridge sections in place in March, thought it would of taken at worst two months later once the bridge was in place.
Still think we won't see it open till late July or August sadly.
Mebbe it's a safety issue, ie if they have workers still doing landscaping, crossing and parking service vehicle on/near the PSP with us cyclists zooming past, a mishap is likely.

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Well blow me down, one of my Strava friends posted this today, looks like it is finally OPEN!
May have to eat my words about not being open till August, will give it a try on Monday.
https://goo.gl/photos/RMDA8agdNJ53r52r9

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Quick.. everyone get across it at least once before any dignatories get to pose with some scissors and a ribbon!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:33 pm

It's been rideable for two or three weeks as has been posted in this thread, as long as you can open construction gates.
But it still isn't technically open. The construction gates are still closed. And it's a bit dangerous - there is a 50mm gap between the end of the new overbridge and the path that needs a mesh grating over it. There is no way it will open until they get that sorted.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Looks like more lines have been painted today on the ramp on Western side of Orrong Rd. Plenty of activity there when I went through at lunchtime.

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 pm

scirocco wrote:It's been rideable for two or three weeks as has been posted in this thread, as long as you can open construction gates.
But it still isn't technically open. The construction gates are still closed. And it's a bit dangerous - there is a 50mm gap between the end of the new overbridge and the path that needs a mesh grating over it. There is no way it will open until they get that sorted.
Sadly you are right, I rode through there early this morning and construction fences had been pushed to the side over the weekend and I went through, so not technically open, but from what I could see very little more to be done and hopefully open officially in next couple of weeks.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Only just discovered this thread.

I'm in the Jandakot area so the Tonkin Hwy path only goes as far as Canning Mills Rd E I believe. Is there any plan to continue this to Roe Hwy ?

Also, does the Roe Hwy path now continue north beyond Welshpool Rd ?

Thanks

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Rex, hopefully this map helps you:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... ramMap.pdf

They built out more of the Tonkin Hwy path as part of the Gateway project but there is still a gap between Canning Mills Rd E and Hale Rd. It is proposed to be completed sometime before 2031.

There is still a gap on Roe Hwy at Welshpool Rd but this is meant to be completed this year, making the Roe Hwy path continuous to Berkshire or Maida Vale Rd (past Tonkin at least). This is proposed to be extended all the way out to Reid Hwy by 2031.

gbeasley

Postby gbeasley » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 am

The bridge is finally open, all barriers removed as of this morning 18/7. Some plastic boards left covering the expansion joints, but nothing to worry about. Glad they've finally got it open, been ready and cycleable for the last 2 weeks at least.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

I sent another email requesting a completion date yesterday. Had a good chuckle on the way home when I discovered it was open!

There is still quite a lot of work going on; portable lighting plants being used at both ends of the bridge, temporary covers over the expansion joints, workers, vans and light trucks all over the place.

A note of caution also - there is a gate at Chisholm road that is badly damaged and sticks out into what could be your natural path when heading West-East. Not very visible in the dark.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:02 pm

I hopped on here with excitement to announce the opening, but was beaten to it :lol:

Gee that headwind while going north was awful. I copped it all the way from the start of Roe Highway until halfway along the Gateway section. The crosswind was nearly as bad!

splitz

Postby splitz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:06 pm

wexford wrote:I hopped on here with excitement to announce the opening, but was beaten to it :lol:

Gee that headwind while going north was awful. I copped it all the way from the start of Roe Highway until halfway along the Gateway section. The crosswind was nearly as bad!
WA = "Windy - Always"

Dale S

Postby Dale S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I went through Monday afternoon and was still closed, and expected another week or two of disappointment, but saw the lighting plants at either end which gave me some hope that they might open it instead of waiting for the lights to be connected.
Extremely glad it's open but boy have they dragged their feet doing this project, when you compare it to how long some road projects take.

splitz

Postby splitz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am

Dale S wrote:I went through Monday afternoon and was still closed, and expected another week or two of disappointment, but saw the lighting plants at either end which gave me some hope that they might open it instead of waiting for the lights to be connected.
Extremely glad it's open but boy have they dragged their feet doing this project, when you compare it to how long some road projects take.
MMMmmm I drove past yesterday arvo (20/7/17) at about 3.30pm and it appeared to be open. Some workers around, mebbe doing light fittings, but no barriers on either the Orrong Road overpass nor the bridge heading towards Midland.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Back to work in two weeks. Hopefully they will have it all done.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

splitz

Postby splitz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Tornado wrote:Back to work in two weeks. Hopefully they will have it all done.
Yeah I've been past a fw times since my last post and indeed seems open. cheers