PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Tornado

PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby Tornado » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi

At the moment there is a fresh new section of PSP on Chisolm Cres in Kewdale that ends suddenly. Has only been there for a month or two and I'm wondering if anyone knows if and when it may hook up to more PSP. Chisolm Cres access from Roe Highway is due to be stopped from the end of December. Currently the Roe Hwy PSP stops at Orrong Road and then there is no more path until you reach this point. Pic below from the Googles.

The green lines as usual are existing PSP or bike lane. At the top of the pic is the Chisolm Cres bit already on Google. The red line is where it has been extended recently and the light blue line is a rough way I would hope the Orrong Road termination and the Chisolm Cres termination could join. There is a rail line half way between that would need to be negotiated somehow. The access to Chisolm from Roe highway and where the Chislom Path finishes is roughly at the blue circle. There is work in the area underway currently but it is a bit hard to tell what they are up to

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

wellington_street

Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby wellington_street » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Tornado

The widening of Roe Highway from Orrong Road to Tonkin Highway is included as part of Freight Link and it seems Main Roads have already called tenders for this package of works:
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Buildin ... -Link.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was going to write "hopefully it includes that missing link in the PSP" but it seems it certainly does :)
The works will also include the construction of a new bridge over the freight railway near Sheffield Road and an off-road shared path for cyclists and pedestrians between Tonkin Highway and Orrong Road.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks. I went through their website this morning and didn't stumble on that bit. I've been sooking about that section of missing path for years in pretty much any survey or questionnaire that asked for input.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

softy

Postby softy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:13 pm

From tonkin hwy, you can see the cycle bridge over abernethy road, so it is going to follow tonkin hwy south. I am pretty sure there is a tunnel under the new interchange with a cycle path. The question is, will the cycle path go on the north or south of roe hwy from orrong road onwards.

can't wait to ride from karel ave to Gt Eastern hwy without riding on a road single road!

whoa!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:15 am

Pretty sure the Roe PSP will be on the north side from Orrong to Tonkin. Not sure if we will get a bridge over Orrong Road or be stuck with the lights.

The Tonkin path towards the south crosses to the east side of Tonkin after going under Roe.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:02 pm

Work is progressing nicely at the Roe Hwy end of gateway WA

The bridge across abernethy road is taking shape and is nearing ready for tarmac.
Is there any signs of how this will connect up with the Roe hwy PSP heading east, the one that terminates at Orrong road?
The railway then runs under the the Roe Hwy, how will they negotiate this? I can see some sort of PSP running near Chilsohm road. Is this part of the upgrade?

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Once the Roe why PSP reaches the Tonkin Hwy it will be a fantastic way to get to the hills.
Does anyone know how far south the Tonkin PSP goes currently beyond the Great Eastern?
I see it being built in sections but not sure how continuous it is.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:20 am

The map suggests that when Gateway WA is complete the Tonkin Hwy PSP will go about 1km past the Roe Highway intersection and then stop.

The map also suggests that the PSP won't actually join up to Great Eastern Highway and there will be a couple of hundred metre gap that pushes you onto sub-standard shared paths (the type where Local Government paint shared path symbols on a footpath through a dog exercise area and 3m from an unfenced kids playground).

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:49 am

Scott_C wrote:The map suggests that when Gateway WA is complete the Tonkin Hwy PSP will go about 1km past the Roe Highway intersection and then stop.

The map also suggests that the PSP won't actually join up to Great Eastern Highway and there will be a couple of hundred metre gap that pushes you onto sub-standard shared paths (the type where Local Government paint shared path symbols on a footpath through a dog exercise area and 3m from an unfenced kids playground).
Maybe, but the map at least shows they have recognized that there is no cycling infrastructure in some of those places - Still, they could put that much missing pathway down in a single year if they were really serious about it.

I'll still concede it's an improvement on 2015 plans.

David

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 am

Hugor wrote:Once the Roe why PSP reaches the Tonkin Hwy it will be a fantastic way to get to the hills.
Does anyone know how far south the Tonkin PSP goes currently beyond the Great Eastern?
I was out there last week - the new bit starts at the Victoria St bridge just south of Great Eastern Hwy and it's open to Leach Hwy (and then continues west along Leach Hwy until Jeffrey St) and out to the airport (T1). Great bit of path to ride on. There's a fence stopping you from going any further south towards Kewdale Rd and Roe Hwy but the path beyond the fence seems to be ready to go (I guess they're still working on it further south).

Note there's a detour in place in early February:
http://gatewaywa.com.au/assets/Uploads/ ... losure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 am

Hugor wrote:Once the Roe why PSP reaches the Tonkin Hwy it will be a fantastic way to get to the hills.
There's a whole other plan for Tonkin north of GEH with the current lights at Collier, Morley and Benara Rds being replaced by graded intersections and flyovers, and there's plans for a PSP all the way up. That's the one I'm looking forward to coz I live in Ellenbrook and work in Redcliffe. Details here.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:12 pm

See they have laid the tarmac on the bridge over Abernethy road.

Getting excited!

tomness

Postby tomness » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:There's a whole other plan for Tonkin north of GEH
So will they link the Gateway PSP to the Northlink PSP (ie the section of Tonkin that goes over the Swan River)? I had a quick look at your link and it wasn't obvious about how they will do this.

It would also be great if they continued the Gateway PSP beyond it's proposed southern termination at Hale Road. Taking it through to Welshpool Road East should really be the initial termination point, based on how many people ride up Welshpool Road East, especially on weekends. Then linking it to the PSP that already exists on Tonkin after Mills Road would complete the job. I know that this is all part of their master plan but it would be nice if we didn't have to wait 10 years for it.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't think the Northlink project will touch the PSP south of Collier Rd to the northern end of Gateway. Which is a shame as we will be stuck with River Road, and crossing Guildford Road and the railway at-grade for a while yet.

softy

Postby softy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Looks like the interchange of Roe and tonkin area PSP is nearing completion.

I have also seen that they are building a new path west on Roe highway from Chisholm drive (which closes on the fifth). I imagine some how it will go up over the bridge, not sure how that will work??

Anyone have any more updates?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:33 am

softy wrote:Looks like the interchange of Roe and tonkin area PSP is nearing completion.

I have also seen that they are building a new path west on Roe highway from Chisholm drive (which closes on the fifth). I imagine some how it will go up over the bridge, not sure how that will work??

Anyone have any more updates?
Chisholm drive is now closed. I think this is what is happening.
Roe HWY PSP to orrong rd. Cross orrong rd, ride in the shoulder over the bridge as per norm then a path kicks in and then links up to the what would be tonkin hwy psp. I would be ecstatic tho if they put a bridge over Orrong rd for cyclists however!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

softy

Postby softy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:20 am

Don't know how that will work, you have a two lane path going into a one lane path on the edge of Roe hwy over the railway bridge. Maybe they are going to pinch a bit of the road and put a barrier up to make it a protected two way path.

We will see.

theenglishguy

Postby theenglishguy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:46 pm

There is a page up on the Main Roads website for the Roe Hwy widening between Tonkin and Orrong now:

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Buildin ... grade.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bridge over the freight rail line will be duplicated and the current one will be modified to include a PSP. Will join up the Gateway PSP with the Roe Hwy PSP and should hopefully be complete by the end of the year. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there'll be a bridge over Orrong Road which is going to be a real pain.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:53 pm

oh man, I've been riding over that bridge since before it opened. Riding in the shoulder with all the crap that ended up there, and speeding heavy vehicles and other traffic in the adjacent lane, has always been entertaining. It was even more fun in the dark back when bike lights were double D cells with incandescent 3W lamps. Will be so glad to see this finally happen.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Not long now. I watch it grow day to day now. Looking forward to fearing for my life that little bit less.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Yep, I was too one to brave the bridge of Death.
Terrible in Winter
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:41 am

Troy C wrote:Yep, I was too one to brave the bridge of Death.
Terrible in Winter
I've been skipping it and heading through Kewdale lately. Cutting through the rail terminal access road to get to my part of Abernethy road.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:54 pm

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it looks like the Gateway PSP is all open now (but the separate project along Roe Hwy will be finished later in the year as in theenglishguy's link). From http://gatewaywa.com.au/news/latest-new ... -finished/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Over the weekend, the remaining part of the project’s shared path network was opened for use by cyclists and pedestrians.

As part of the Gateway WA project, approximately 21 kilometres of shared path and local connections have been installed adjacent to the new road alignment along Tonkin and Leach Highways, the extension of Leach Highway into Perth Airport (Airport Drive) and Roe Highway.

The first portion of the Gateway WA shared path network was opened last September in the vicinity of the airport along Tonkin Highway and Leach Highway.

The entire network includes seven cyclist/pedestrian underpasses and one bridge that provide connectivity for the network, with lighting installed along the way to increase visibility for users.

For more information on Gateway WA’s shared path network please see our facilities page.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:02 am

That network is just great fun to ride around, I love that the path to the International Terminal crosses under the approach lights. On the right day you can almost touch the aircraft as they pass over you. I'll admit to having wasted some time just waiting for the next 'plane.......

Be careful if you're heading in or out from Hale Rd. I've had two close calls with vehicles on Hardey E Rd. I'm guessing at least a couple of the locals aren't enamoured with their street being used as an access to the paths, as both vehicles left or entered houses on that road. One occasion a Landruiser driver waited for me to be just metres away before reversing out in front of me, requiring hard braking on my part. How do I know he waited? The two clues were the laughing and the middle finger waving at me. On a different occasion another large 4WD driver passed very close with hand on horn. Both times I was travelling along the kerb just trundling along.

Anyway, I really like the new paths, can't wait for the "bridge of death" to be a memory like riding along the Tonkin shoulder to get to the airport.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

softy

Postby softy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:12 am

Good news,

BUT! How do you get from Orrong road to the start of the Gateway PSP?
They have closed the death bridge with concrete barriers, blocked of Chilsohlm street and the railway divides the two areas. Has anyone worked out a good route to get from the roe hwy PSP to the gateway PSP?

Cheers