PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

IncognitoMosquito

Re: PSP Roe Highway Tonkin Interchange

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:48 am

softy wrote:Good news,

BUT! How do you get from Orrong road to the start of the Gateway PSP?
They have closed the death bridge with concrete barriers, blocked of Chilsohlm street and the railway divides the two areas. Has anyone worked out a good route to get from the roe hwy PSP to the gateway PSP?

Cheers
Over the rail bridge on Welshpool Road and down Hale Road. Do it every day in peak hour and no big problem. If you don't like the road there is a bike path over the bridge but it is a bit agricultural.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 am

IncognitoMosquito wrote:
softy wrote:Good news,

BUT! How do you get from Orrong road to the start of the Gateway PSP?
They have closed the death bridge with concrete barriers, blocked of Chilsohlm street and the railway divides the two areas. Has anyone worked out a good route to get from the roe hwy PSP to the gateway PSP?

Cheers
Over the rail bridge on Welshpool Road and down Hale Road. Do it every day in peak hour and no big problem. If you don't like the road there is a bike path over the bridge but it is a bit agricultural.
If by, "a bit agricultural", you mean completely missing for 10m. On the other hand if anyone is looking for a bit of mountain bike single track you know where to send them.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Scott_C wrote:If by, "a bit agricultural", you mean completely missing for 10m. On the other hand if anyone is looking for a bit of mountain bike single track you know where to send them.
Haha - That is exactly what I mean. It is gravel/limestone or similar on the other side of the bridge too but a little more prepared - but only a little. (perhaps "horticultural" rather than "agricultural"?) I see guys ride it on road bikes most mornings and evenings, but I wouldn't myself. My wife rides it in preference to the road but I ride on the road in both directions with no issues.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm

If you go on the light change, you can usually ride on the road to hale without a car coming behind you, left into hale, left at the 1st roundabout in Shefield and then Right into St John all the way to the end then left into the gateway
I have even made a starva segment for it
https://www.strava.com/segments/11630563?filter=overall
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

softy

Postby softy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Cool guys....
cheers got it! 8) 8) 8)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Okay there's also the new path heading north from the Tonkin/Roe meeting, signposted as heading to Midland and for 12km. I heard from someone who explored this some time ago that it only went as far as Berkshire Rd. Has this been extended?

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm

Can vouch for Troy's over the hill to Hale Rd. I do that aswell

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:Okay there's also the new path heading north from the Tonkin/Roe meeting, signposted as heading to Midland and for 12km. I heard from someone who explored this some time ago that it only went as far as Berkshire Rd. Has this been extended?
Rode this last night (after dark) and it only goes to Berkshire Rd.

For others unfamiliar with the area - at Berkshire Rd there is signage directing you north alongside the Roe Hwy. This seduces you with a nice smooth wide 3m shoulder (similar to Gt Northern Hwy out of Midland), after about a kilometre though reduces to a 1.2m shoulder with a good three inches of drop off on the edge and B doubles rolling past at 100kmh. Of course by then you can't turn back.

cheers
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

softy

Postby softy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:57 pm

just a word of warning, with the rainy season coming it has started to wash a lot of sand onto the path at the roe hwy end.

some places you can see erosion starting on the path. amazing how drainage is not considered for paths but does as much damage as it does to a road.

Just be aware out there, I almost came off when I hit a deep section of sand, washed onto the path at speed

Tazz

Postby Tazz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:22 am

Is the Roe Hwy northbound (between Kwinana Fwy & Great Eastern Hwy) open to cyclists? Is there a decent verge? Are all works now complete? I am not talking about cycle paths but the actual Highway, I am trying to avoid many unfamiliar turns at 5am in the morning.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:13 pm

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-32.068 ... 312!8i6656

Cyclists are prohibited on Roe Highway near the Freeway. I don't think cyclists are allowed on the road until after Kalamunda Rd.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Short answer is bicycles are not allowed on the Roe Hwy between the Kwinana Fwy and Berkshire Rd, Forrestfield, and between Bushmead Rd and Morrision Rd in Midland. The shoulders are generally narrow (1.2m or less) and in poor condition including debris and potholes.

Long answer, the signs are not up yet at Welshpool Rd, so in my opinion in theory you could ride on the Hwy after that, but I would not recommend it at all, as with the road works happening between Welshpool and Tonkin Hwy you'd be sharing the lane as there is no shoulder. You'd get into bother at the Tonkin Hwy as the new configuration is open so you'd be using Fwy standard roads not designed to accommodate cyclists, and cyclists are prohibited from entering that section of the Tonkin Hwy and therefore the section of Roe Hwy north of that (not saying that Roe Hwy shoulder has ever been "designed" to accommodate cyclists). At Berkshire Rd cyclists are directed back onto the Roe Hwy shoulder, and then prohibited again between Bushmead Rd and through Gt Eastern Hwy to Morrison Rd in Midland.

Paths exist between the Kwinana Fwy and Welshpool Rd, Tonkin Hwy and Berkshire Rd, and Clayton St and (beyond Gt Eastern Hwy) Morrison Rd. The section between Welshpool Rd and the Tonkin Hwy is under construction.

Hope that helps?
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

foz

Postby foz » Mon May 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi..I wonder if anybody could tell me if the bikepath continues from Leach Hwy..beside Tonkin Hwy , to Roe Hwy..please.
Just started using Tonkin Hwy from Guildford road..cutting through to the new bike path.
Have found it safe and quiet...apart from scooter today.Everybody says hello when you do..
I am wanting to go to Roe Hwy bike path..turn right , continue to just before railway line near Kenwick, turn right.
Then proceed to East Perth, bike path to Bayswater.
Rode today along side Leach Hwy to path end..Had to cut through back streets to Orrong rd..busy.
Took ages to cross,then cut through to rail line..

Thanks in advance for any help..I have to monitor my Blood sugar level..so any extra kms have to be taken in account..
Cheers

softy

Postby softy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:39 pm

foz wrote:Hi..I wonder if anybody could tell me if the bikepath continues from Leach Hwy..beside Tonkin Hwy , to Roe Hwy..please.
Just started using Tonkin Hwy from Guildford road..cutting through to the new bike path.
Have found it safe and quiet...apart from scooter today.Everybody says hello when you do..
I am wanting to go to Roe Hwy bike path..turn right , continue to just before railway line near Kenwick, turn right.
Then proceed to East Perth, bike path to Bayswater.
Rode today along side Leach Hwy to path end..Had to cut through back streets to Orrong rd..busy.
Took ages to cross,then cut through to rail line..

Thanks in advance for any help..I have to monitor my Blood sugar level..so any extra kms have to be taken in account..
Cheers
not to sure what you mean but the cycle path goes from Gt Eastern along Tonkin to just the other side of Roe hwy. The problem is they haven't built the section from Tonkin to Orrong along Roe Hwy yet so you need to get off at hardey east rd (the end of the PSP) then down Hale turn right onto Welshpool road east, over the railway bridge, under the Roe hwy, then get onto the cycle path at Orrong/Roe intersection, going west. This will take you to the kenwick turn off which takes you north along the Armadale railway back towards the city. hope this helps. :)

foz

Postby foz » Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks Softy,
Just the information I needed, will venture out that way on Wednesday, weather permitting, have a look at a paper street map and plan accordingly.
Along the Armadale to City rail link , the section of cycleway built is quite good, only Welshpool road to cross, that’s busy, the other minor cross roads are ok..

Cheers and thanks again.

Tazz

Postby Tazz » Tue May 17, 2016 12:21 am

chuckchunder wrote:Short answer is bicycles are not allowed on the Roe Hwy between the Kwinana Fwy and Berkshire Rd, Forrestfield, and between Bushmead Rd and Morrision Rd in Midland. The shoulders are generally narrow (1.2m or less) and in poor condition including debris and potholes.

Long answer, the signs are not up yet at Welshpool Rd, so in my opinion in theory you could ride on the Hwy after that, but I would not recommend it at all, as with the road works happening between Welshpool and Tonkin Hwy you'd be sharing the lane as there is no shoulder. You'd get into bother at the Tonkin Hwy as the new configuration is open so you'd be using Fwy standard roads not designed to accommodate cyclists, and cyclists are prohibited from entering that section of the Tonkin Hwy and therefore the section of Roe Hwy north of that (not saying that Roe Hwy shoulder has ever been "designed" to accommodate cyclists). At Berkshire Rd cyclists are directed back onto the Roe Hwy shoulder, and then prohibited again between Bushmead Rd and through Gt Eastern Hwy to Morrison Rd in Midland.

Paths exist between the Kwinana Fwy and Welshpool Rd, Tonkin Hwy and Berkshire Rd, and Clayton St and (beyond Gt Eastern Hwy) Morrison Rd. The section between Welshpool Rd and the Tonkin Hwy is under construction.

Hope that helps?
Thank you for the extended answer. I've had a go at mapping a route from South Street to the Great Eastern Hwy. Are the sections of bike path correct?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13767657

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Tazz wrote:
chuckchunder wrote:Short answer is bicycles are not allowed on the Roe Hwy between the Kwinana Fwy and Berkshire Rd, Forrestfield, and between Bushmead Rd and Morrision Rd in Midland. The shoulders are generally narrow (1.2m or less) and in poor condition including debris and potholes.

Hope that helps?
Thank you for the extended answer. I've had a go at mapping a route from South Street to the Great Eastern Hwy. Are the sections of bike path correct?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13767657
There is now a PSP from the intersection of Hale/Tonkin along the north side of Tonkin and east side of Roe as far as Berkshire Rd. From here you can then go northbound on the shoulder (poor condition, narrow and missing through the Kalamunda Rd intersection) all the way to Bushmead Rd, where there is a path connection to Military Rd to avoid the Helena River section of Roe Hwy.

When the current works on Roe from Tonkin to Welshpool are finished, there will be a PSP along the western side of Roe Hwy from Orrong/Welshpool to connect to the Tonkin Hwy PSP.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I drive roe hwy to tonkin every day. From what I can see is that the bike path will go under the rail bridge and continue on the south side of roe hwy to orrong rd
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

foz

Postby foz » Wed May 18, 2016 8:44 am

Hi and thanks to all for the information on PSP Roe HWY /Tonkin HWY route..
If only it wasn't raining now..will wait..sunshine looming..Xmas in December(joke)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I drive roe hwy to tonkin every day. From what I can see is that the bike path will go under the rail bridge and continue on the south side of roe hwy to orrong rd
There is now a map on the Main Roads website (scroll down to 'Project Map')
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Buildin ... grade.aspx

It shows the PSP on the northern/western side of Roe Hwy and it looks like no bridge at Orrong Rd unfortunately.

Without any actual knowledge of the project, I suspect that the PSP will use part of the existing Roe Hwy bridge over the rail line, rather than a new bridge being built.

foz

Postby foz » Sun May 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi..rode through from Bayswater this morning early..lots of honky nuts on the ground , sand and greenery.
Take extra care as its slippery..

softy

Postby softy » Sun May 22, 2016 9:45 pm

well if it is the only road crossing at Orrong I suppose that is not to bad considering the unbroken rest of the PSP. at least it gives a safe route from swan river bayswater to Orrong/welshpool then on to the Kwinana freeway.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 pm

If I recall correctly Orrong has bicycle crossing lights so, whilst you do have to stop and wait for the lights, at least you can legally ride across instead of having to dismount to cross legally.

foz

Postby foz » Mon May 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for all the updates on Tonkin Hwy, it a good circuit for me to ride..

Cheers

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun May 29, 2016 8:33 pm

A friend of a guy who knows a bloke who has a girlfriend who is the sister of someone I know took a walk along the side of the Roe Hwy to have a look at the works today. He let me have some pics he took of the area ; )

So, standing with my...er I mean his... back to the railway bridge -

And then walking back towards Chisolm Cres -

And then from Chisolm Cres looking back towards the bridge -

The way the path goes up to the bridge indeed suggests that it will use part of the current road deck on the bridge for the path. Of course as they are duplicating the bridge there will be plenty of room for this, as there are four lanes plus the shoulders on the current bridge.

looking forward to its completion.