Kings of Old to Ride Again

Aushiker

Kings of Old to Ride Again

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Local forum member made today's West Australian in a nice positive story on old bikes ....

Andrew

find_bruce

Re: Kings of Old to Ride Again

Postby find_bruce » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Nice, but why isn't Rob also doing a track stand :wink: :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks Andrew :-) Dennis is also active on BNA fwiw. Bruce I have no excuse beyond just doing what the photog asked :-)

We only have a couple of months to get this show together so our work is well and truly cut out for us. We have plenty of significant bikes scattered through the collections of WAHCC members. One thing I know we'd like to access more of is historical cycling ephemera relating to Perth and WA. If anyone has old race programmes, shop catalogues, photographs or whatever please let me know by PM. We'd either show some objects in display cases or scan/photograph them for inclusion in the interprative panels. The grant criteria include "normalising cycling" so we're particularly keen to show bikes in use in WA in non racing contexts. Having said that sport's important here and cycle sport was massive in the first half of last century.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Can you do a track stand Rob ?

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:01 am

jonhanson wrote:Can you do a track stand Rob ?
Looking at the picture you could be forgiven for thinking I have trouble walking unsupported let alone doing track stands! Having never tried I can't reply definitively. In a curious aside, the bloke who took the photo is Steve Ferrier who I went to school with. To my knowledge there are at least four guys from my year (including me) who earn a crust in photography. I think Steve did a great job given the talent and tough lighting conditions.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Something specific we're trying to track down is a newspaper article about Ken Bugden. Ken was a mid 20th century dealer in secondhand bikes and motorbikes in Perth. One of our members has a penny farthing that was owned and ridden by Ken. The bike will be in the exhibition, partly because it is so pretty (Ken had his name painted on it), and partly because it has a transport story that is relevant.

The current owner bought the bike at auction following Ken's death. He remembers the Bugden family talking about there being a newspaper write up about Ken riding to work on it. Trove has turned up an interesting article and innumerable ads he placed, but not the article we're looking for. Perhaps it was after Trove's 1954 copyright cutoff date?

If anyone has a connection to the Bugden family that could be helpful.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 am

There have been moments in the past few weeks when my heart has sunk and I've thought that we're well and truly munted. Amazing things have happened though and I think we're ready to knock some sox off.
We've secured the services of a brilliant graphic designer who is working on everything from our interpretive panels to our opening night invites. Our printing is sorted and the display plinths are being made by a Men's Shed frequented by a WAHCC member.
The WA Museum is lending us Steele Bishop's 1983 World Championship bike. Steele and his bike were reunited today at the WA Museum's Welshpool store for a photo op (me and Matt from The Examiner). What can I say? .. he's great; a very youthful chatty 63 year old with an incredible memory for detail. Like the price of his tyres from '83!
The Musueum has the Malvern Star that Oppy rode across the Nullabor. I have a couple of pics of an interesting detail that I'll post in the retro forum, not tonight though..

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:27 am