Clipped by a Transperth bus this afternoon

sorted

Clipped by a Transperth bus this afternoon

Postby sorted » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:32 am

I got clipped by a bus on my evening commute today. I was heading North on Beaufort Street, approaching the traffic lights at the junction with Aberdeen Street (at the end of the bus/cycle lane) and a bus overtook me as we approached the red light. There wasn't enough space for it to overtake before stopping at the lights, but the bus pulled across into my lane, forcing me to take evasive action and clipping my elbow with the protruding sidelight at the back.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt (mainly due to it being at fairly low speed and my brakes being in good shape!), just a bit shaken. I was claiming the lane, doing around 25 km/h and had been aware of the bus behind me pulling out to overtake but was a bit surprised when it started to pull back over into my lane! Unfortunately I don't use a video camera (may be doing some on-line shopping later). Reflecting over a cold beer, I'm also aware that next time I or someone else might not be so lucky.

I came to rest about 20cm from the back of the bus as it stopped at the lights and got a photo of the licence plate as I regained my composure, but resisted the temptation to have a gentle word with the driver as I'm not sure that would have been the most productive way to resolve the situation.

From reading up on the forum, Transperth get a few mentions in the 'Moron Motorists' thread. I'm fully intending to report the matter to them as others have done but wondered if anyone has any hints or tips on the most effective way of doing so? (contacts, specific details to mention or terminology to use in relation to OS&H, ways to get them to review the video from the bus or any other general wisdom would be gratefully received).

Also, as there was physical contact, is it a matter that should also be reported to the Police? I appreciate that without a witness or video, it's unlikely that they will be able to pursue the matter.

Cycleops70

Re: Clipped by a Transperth bus this afternoon

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:56 am

I would contact Transperth. Their busses have cameras on them, so may have caught it.
From my experiences with Transperth, they have been pretty good with their responses.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am

Many of their drivers also hold irresponsible attitudes towards cyclists - I've been on a bus where a cyclist pulled out in front of the bus and then claimed the lane, instead of moving all the way to the left, where the space was limited by roadworks. Something they were entitled to.

The bus simply kept it's speed up instead of slowing, and then added the horn when it got close, until it forced it's way past the cyclist. Then the driver went on to point out how stupid the cyclist was for challenging a bus.

Don't take the above out of context. The situation was close enough to the cyclist misjudging the distance to the bus that I won't go blaming the bus driver entirely, though in the scheme of things, both her attitude and adherence to the road rules were lacking.

So yes, if the bus has actually hit you, and driven off, I'd report the driver... Actually, I'd include details of the bruising, the fact that they knew the distance was unsafe ( Government departments are forced to acknowledge the 1m safe distance as government policy as per the ORS recommendations, even if it's not law ) and consider reporting the matter to the police as a hit and run. At the very least, report it to Transperth as dangerous driving nearly resulting in a death. Bus drivers are some of the people who really need their driving attitudes towards cyclists curbed.

Not all bus drivers are like that, but given their requirement to maintain a schedule, they represent more danger to us than other motorists.

Regards
David

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am

Since the services are provided under contract to Transperth, they are always interested in ensuring that their contractors abide by the road rules and the drivers behave. Hence worthwhile reporting, preferably quoting bus number, time of day etc so that Transperth can identify the service provider.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:51 am

Yes, report it asap. Transperth has contact page specifically to report such things.

Not long ago i also got shaved pretty darn close, submitted my video and an email.

Buses indeed also have cameras so they will be able to asses just how close your bus driver got.

Although i wouldnt expect too much, all i got was a 'yes you are correct, bus driver shouldve given more room, he will have a refresher course'

Then a follow up phone call a few weeks later.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm

+1 for reporting it.

if you don't report it, how will they ever know that at least one of their drivers could do with some more training?
inflammatory statement or idea

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:06 pm

I have had a close shave with a bus overtaking me and then pulling into a stop right in front of me. This was at 6 in the morning with no other traffic on the road! I am sure this is not unusual. Frankly I don't trust any other road user at all when I am on the bike. I use back streets, footpaths and cycle paths but not main roads. Certainly not Beaufort Street. I agree you should be able to use those roads but I am not willing to put my life on the line to prove the point. Too many careless drivers not to mention outright nutters.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Beaufort street is a shocker!

A lady was hit a couple of years ago around Mt lawley where they park on the side of the road.

I prefer to use william street or the Midland PSP except when going to the LBS, as it is on beaufort street.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:34 pm

softy wrote:Beaufort street is a shocker!

A lady was hit a couple of years ago around Mt lawley where they park on the side of the road.

I prefer to use william street or the Midland PSP except when going to the LBS, as it is on beaufort street.

A bit emotive. She rode off the footpath into the side of the bus. It could have been any other vehicle.

sorted

Postby sorted » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions above. I reported the incident using the Transperth web site as suggested and got a follow-up call this afternoon.

They have reviewed the video footage from the bus in question and are taking disciplinary action against the driver. I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised with that as a response - hopefully it will lessen the chances of something similar happening next time.

As for Beaufort street, completely agree that it is not ideal cycling territory even with the bus/cycle lane, but unfortunately it was the only access to the customer I had been working for. Finished up there on Friday and am not missing the end of the commute!

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:07 am

Great to hear you got a positive response. I always report close shaves where the vehicle in question is corporate or govt., as others have pointed out it does at least give the fleet managers the opportunity to act. Not reporting is a guarantee that nothing will happen!
Most of my reports have been followed up positively as well. They have included Coles, BHP, Transperth. The one I was particularly disappointed with was St John Ambulance. Driver left hooked me at the Douro Rd lights in S Freo. St John's were pretty disinterested when I reported it and they don't have a policy to follow up with the complainant.

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 am

sorted wrote:Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions above. I reported the incident using the Transperth web site as suggested and got a follow-up call this afternoon.

They have reviewed the video footage from the bus in question and are taking disciplinary action against the driver. I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised with that as a response - hopefully it will lessen the chances of something similar happening next time.

As for Beaufort street, completely agree that it is not ideal cycling territory even with the bus/cycle lane, but unfortunately it was the only access to the customer I had been working for. Finished up there on Friday and am not missing the end of the commute!
Good outcome.

FWIW in my experience I have generally had good experiences with Transperth bus drivers (waiting behind or give plenty of room when passing) so I think most of them are pretty good.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm

email them in a week and find out what the disciplinary action/penalty was... I'd be interested to know.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm

cp123 wrote:email them in a week and find out what the disciplinary action/penalty was... I'd be interested to know.
me too, the bus driver that close shaved me just got sent to a 'refresher course' :roll:

billy70

Postby billy70 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Good to see this being taken seriously.

I'm sure it's not easy being a bus driver and they are highly visible, even more so when they transgress. However, my observation is that they can often lack the required patience and the ocasional selfish manoeuvre can greatly impact others. Negligent or deliberate actions need to be addressed for everyone's interests.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:43 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
cp123 wrote:email them in a week and find out what the disciplinary action/penalty was... I'd be interested to know.
me too, the bus driver that close shaved me just got sent to a 'refresher course' :roll:
Which, without anything further to go on, seems about appropriate.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle