Where to get fitted

XIX

Where to get fitted

Postby XIX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Guys

Great forum!

Just hoping to get some info on where to get my bike fitted/adjusted ?

I am in North Perth and recently purchased my second bike, a Propel Advanced Pro 0 (orange one) and thought it would be a good idea to get everything set up right as I didn't do that on my previous bike (though never had any issues).

Thanks for the help guys and all the best.

Hugor

Re: Where to get fitted

Postby Hugor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:30 am

TBE Belmont do a Retul bike fit. Takes a couple of hours and isn't cheap but well worth it in my opinion.

XIX

Postby XIX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks Hugor , does seem very comprehensive, but maybe more for new bike purchases ?

I remember previously there was someone in the East Perth area who was a home bike mechanic and very good at setting bikes up ?

Ill keep looking, might pop into TBE to have a chat if I get time.

Thanks

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:54 pm

XIX wrote:Thanks Hugor , does seem very comprehensive, but maybe more for new bike purchases ?
Nope. It's done by Chris Beek and its all about getting your fit on the bike correct. Not about new bike purchases.
If you have injury or other physical problems associated with your riding he can help you address that through his fits.

I had my last bike fit with him three years ago and we did set up on my existing bikes and confirmed what I should be looking at for my new bike.
Very helpful.

Went from riding a endurance geometry to a race geometry with complete comfort. That wasn't the goal, it just ended up being what suited me based on the fit.

XIX

Postby XIX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Ok, Looks like I need to head out to Belmont!

Thanks Guys !!

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm

For all the trivial crap I've spent lots of money on with no performance benefit, a bike fit is worth every cent in my opinion.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:14 pm

I did mine with a Sports physio under St. John of God in Subi. John Annear... went to him after a knee problem; which boiled back to cleat positioning. I figured I'd go the whole hog whilst there and get my fit done, and get something back for my Health Insurance. The kind of stupid thing was he measured me up, and ultimately just punched my numbers intoi the online fitting tool at competitivecyclist.com. This might've ticked some people off a little bit, but not having an SO or anyone I'm 'close' enough to; you really need a second person to help get your vital proportions measured right.

Having said that ... you can have someone measure you up for free and punch those numbers into Competitive Cyclist to give you some ball park notions before you head off to a shop for nix.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

XIX

Postby XIX » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Exactly the info I was looking for. Should have searched it!

Thanks Worzel!

billy70

Postby billy70 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:15 pm

What's your view now that you've had a couple of weeks of riding Worzel?

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:54 am

billy70 wrote:What's your view now that you've had a couple of weeks of riding Worzel?
It is a bit early to say, I have only done three 25km weekend rides. But the cleat position has noticeably removed the strain on my calves with more of the power through my thighs. On climbs in particular I don't tire as easily. My shoulders are also feeling less discomfort from having less weight on them due to seat angle. I am still suffering with my ITB near my hip (apparently it stretches over a bone spur there) but then I have done a lot of gardening / decorating etc too in the last 2 months.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Worzel - how's the fit now that it's settled in?

softy

Postby softy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 am

Been doing alot of research around bike fits, have been fiddling myself.

quite complex and info from the real gurus suggest the computer modeling is a fit you in a box.

The complexity; cleat position and packing, how flexible the rider is, reach for different people, hip stillness, pedalling under heavy exertion, dropping your heels..... all this needs to be considered.

If i was to pay, i would want to know this person is experienced and know what they are doing, not a data entry person.

just how i see it.

By the way, is there anyone who is a "real" expert in WA?

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:40 am

If you have private health physios are the way to go. Ask for the code and check with your health fund for rebates.
I went through Damien at Star physio in west Perth and my knee issues are significantly improved, and I'm also definitely faster with a swag of PBs and KOMs since.
I'm still adjusting and need to do more targeted exercises to strengthen some muscles that seemed unrelated (glutes) to Pepelu fix the knee

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Roobar wrote:If you have private health physios are the way to go. Ask for the code and check with your health fund for rebates.
I went through Damien at Star physio in west Perth and my knee issues are significantly improved, and I'm also definitely faster with a swag of PBs and KOMs since.
I'm still adjusting and need to do more targeted exercises to strengthen some muscles that seemed unrelated (glutes) to Pepelu fix the knee
Second Damien at star physio. You would not understand how wrong my bike shop fit was. Well worth the money.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm

softy wrote:

By the way, is there anyone who is a "real" expert in WA?
Can highly recommend Greg Kerr at Horizon Physio Scarborough http://www.horizonphysio.com.au/precision-bike-fit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

kb

Postby kb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 pm

rusty842 wrote:
Roobar wrote:If you have private health physios are the way to go. Ask for the code and check with your health fund for rebates.
Second Damien at star physio. You would not understand how wrong my bike shop fit was. Well worth the money.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Hey, a bit late to the thread but if you haven't yet had it I'd recommend Gary Suckling. Ex Riders Choice Leederville (amongst others) and now full-time with his new business.
Gary has over 30 years of practical experience and has done more than 500 assessments fitting riders to their bikes whether they are racing, riding for recreation, time trialling, doing triathlons or mountain biking
garysuckling@optusnet.com.au
0403 586 719
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

blue151

Postby blue151 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:54 pm

just wanted to share my experience....don't go into the fit expecting guaranteed positive changes... its not a mathematical equation, and I don't think everyone is suited to the same 'fit'.

I had a fit done with Damien in west perth, while initially things seemed ok, I developed pretty bad numbness/pain in my foot after a couple months after the fit. I tried changing different things different shoes, cleat positions etc as suggested by damien but the only thing that helped was reverting back to my old position.

just my 2c.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 am

I have done considerable research into bike fit, although not claiminng i am a expert at all.

But what i have found is the shops give a very basic fit. Their are reluctant to change components to really fit you, instead just adjusting the bike as best they can.

One thing i have found, foot postion is critical and i have packed one side of a cleat to reduce hip pain as my knee was drifting out on that side. The foot directs your knee and stroke.

The other important thing is the stem length, i have found a centimetre can make so much difference. I see so many riders reaching to far, this is a big problem as your centre of gravity is too far forward upseting your weight and balance on the bike, going from seating to standing should feel so natural, no pushing of the weight forward onto your hands, your hands should feel light on the bars allowing maximum weight to be on the pedals, even when standing.

Shops just don't play with this, and just use the real basic setups you can do at home.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Repeat: Gary has over 30 years of practical experience and has done more than 500 assessments fitting riders to their bikes whether they are racing, riding for recreation, time trialling, doing triathlons or mountain biking
garysuckling@optusnet.com.au
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

XIX

Postby XIX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 pm

I have done more research, and everything is pointing to getting a trained physio (trained in bike fitting, not just physio) to do it.

I have also heard many good reviews about Greg Kerr, including from a friend of mine who is a physio himself.

That's the path I will be taking. Although I appreciate someone may have experience fitting people to bikes, and may have had great success with it, I would think unless they have a deeper understanding of the body physiology they may be limited somewhat.

I already have issues with patella tracking and other issues with alignment so this may be a greater issue for me than most.