Perth walker 'not alert' after colliding with cyclist

exadios

Perth walker 'not alert' after colliding with cyclist

Postby exadios » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:45 am

cj7hawk

Re: Perth walker 'not alert' after colliding with cyclist

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:26 am

I find most of them are not alert before any potential collision either. The vast majority of walkers have earphones in their ears ( or full headphones, which is probably the same ) - Though in this case, it sounds like the cyclist has indicated that he had problems - and I wonder whether speed was an issue.

Two things to keep in mind - Pedestrians do generally react well to the bell if it's set off early enough and they're not wearing ear-phones, especially elderly pedestrians, and it's important to slow when passing them, to a speed safe for the conditions. There's no suggestion here that this wasn't the case, though, since there's very little information from the story.

Let's hope both of them are OK.

David

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:12 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
I find most of them are not alert before any potential collision either. The vast majority of walkers have earphones in their ears ( or full headphones, which is probably the same ) - Though in this case, it sounds like the cyclist has indicated that he had problems - and I wonder whether speed was an issue.

Two things to keep in mind - Pedestrians do generally react well to the bell if it's set off early enough and they're not wearing ear-phones, especially elderly pedestrians, and it's important to slow when passing them, to a speed safe for the conditions. There's no suggestion here that this wasn't the case, though, since there's very little information from the story.

Let's hope both of them are OK.
The article says she was walking on a footpath ...
"She was walking along the footpath and she was struck by a cyclist, the cyclist lost control on a sandy edge," another St John Ambulance spokesperson said.

If this is indeed a footpath and not a shared path then the question of headphones or not is irrelevant. Also the reference to "not alert" refers to her condition after the collision.

Andrew

exadios

Postby exadios » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Aushiker wrote: The article says she was walking on a footpath ...
"She was walking along the footpath and she was struck by a cyclist, the cyclist lost control on a sandy edge," another St John Ambulance spokesperson said.

If this is indeed a footpath and not a shared path then the question of headphones or not is irrelevant. Also the reference to "not alert" refers to her condition after the collision.

Andrew
The rule on PSPs is that cyclist shall not run into a pedestrian irrespective of whether the walker is wearing headphones or not.

wexford

Postby wexford » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:30 pm

That's certainly not a section of shared path where you want to be riding fast. Dense scrub close to the path, narrow, lots of blind bends and poor quality surface. Regardless of the law, it's just dumb to get into a situation where you can hit someone there.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Pedestrian should walk on the edge of the path.
Bicycles shouldn't have to change lanes to pass them, pedestrians just hog the lane and travel to slow! They should be more considerate and walk in the gutter. And when they walk in groups..... say no more! They take up the whole lane!

Sound familar? This is the attitude motorist have towards cyclists. Sounds stupid when you apply the "same logic" to a different situation. :)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:59 pm

I came past that incident on the train, looked a pretty bad scene and I hope the lady will be OK.
wexford wrote:That's certainly not a section of shared path where you want to be riding fast.
Totally agree, unfortunate that so very many insist on doing so. Without reference to this particular scenario as I didn't see it happen, I'm amazed more people aren't hit around there. I ride that section a few times a week and it's rare for me not to either witness or experience an unsafe overtake. I really wish people would CTFD and give each other a bit of space. :|
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Sometimes i think riders are trying to smash strave segments and take risk, which are unsafe. Under canning bridge is a shocker, i always go slow here. I like to get good segments too. But safety first.

another spot i see risky behaviour is at Caledonian ave on the Midland PSP. The PSP crosses the road there with many cars coming from different directions on the level crossing. Unfortunately a number of segments are across this road.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm

softy wrote:Sometimes i think riders are trying to smash strave segments and take risk, which are unsafe. Under canning bridge is a shocker, i always go slow here. I like to get good segments too. But safety first.

another spot i see risky behaviour is at Caledonian ave on the Midland PSP. The PSP crosses the road there with many cars coming from different directions on the level crossing. Unfortunately a number of segments are across this road.
Yes, but the visibility across Caledonian Ave is excellent - I frequently get to cross it at full speed. Well, I guess 25kph isn't exactly fast is it?

Anyway, no one is picking on pedestrians - at least not in this thread. It's more that many are oblivious to the cycling traffic around them, and often wander into the middle of the lane, or move sideways unpredictably - so it's important to let them know you're coming and slow down to a safe speed to pass -

David

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:31 pm

Reporting of these things is not going to be precise on whether a path is shared use or pedestrian only.

That section has ALWAYS been a place where lines of sight are insufficient to travel at speed along most of the path until nearing Canning Bridge. However that has never stopped riders from coming off the bridge heading north around the bend without regard to the conditions.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle