Caltrop (double G, Bindii, goat head) on shared paths

chuckchunder

Caltrop (double G, Bindii, goat head) on shared paths

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Caltrop is a nasty weed with spiky seeds that look like this

The seeds will puncture your tyre, but worse, numerous spines may break off in your tyre and then work their way through, providing you with multiple punctures over months of riding. I have had these little buggers find their way past all the available anti puncture systems out there. I have experienced 14 punctures in one tyre from one roll through a patch of these plants. To my mind they represent a serious discouragement to cycling if uncontrolled around cycling infrastructure.

The fruit are segmented with up to five parts and are spread along the stem at short intervals, so even a small plant may produce hundreds of seeds.

Along the Roe Hwy I have seen plants as small as my thumb with several seeds set on them, and germination in compacted limestone roadbase. These babies are tough.

Spraying them with glyphosate (Round-up) kills the plant but not the seeds, which remain viable for up to seven years. The best means of removal is physically removing the plant and most of the seed with it, but this is time consuming and labour intensive. Unattractive to councils and Main Roads. I have pretty much given up trying to get councils or Main Roads to deal with infestations, they are either unable to deal with them or just don't care. The most difficult part is that because the seed remain viable for so long, it requires vigilance to remove new plants regularly to stop the weeds from spreading. If anyone feels like having a crack I'd be happy to have you along one Saturday morning to show you how its done!

Some of you may have noticed there is a growing infestation of Caltrop along the Kwinana Fwy in South Perth with stems encroaching into the PSP. I have contacted Main Roads and hope to have the plants removed or treated, but am not holding my breath. I am prepared to have a crack the little buggers, but the problem is the plants are on the Fwy side of the fence, which means entering the Fwy proper and working in the shoulder to remove the plants. I figure early (like oh my god you mean that early?) on a weekend morning might be the go. Anyone prepared to join me and incur the wrath of Main Roads and possible prosecution to get rid of this scourge? Many hands make light work.

Meanwhile if you live in the Canning Vale area and use the path along the Gosnells golf course I'd advise you to take the extra time to cross the road and use the other side. I removed about a hundred plants there today and there is probably a significant remaining seed bank in the verge which will drift onto the path with the wind. There is a large infestation on the corner of Campbell and Randford Rds and I have advised the City of Gosnells of its presence and asked if they could deal with it. If they don't I'll have a crack at removing the plants in a couple of weeks.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

BandedRail

Re: Caltrop (double G, Bindii, goat head) on shared paths

Postby BandedRail » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Ok, a quick botany lesson.

The annoying weed Chuckchunder is referring to is Tribulus terrestris (common names include "Caltrop" and "Puncture Vine") and is in the family Zygophyllaceae. Note the pinnate leaves: Image

Another common weed with similar spikey fruits is Doublegee (aka Double G) and is Emex australis and is the family Polygonaceae. Note the entire leaves:Image

And finally, a lawn weed that hurts to step on but is unlikely to cause punctures is bindii (bucket loads of common names for this one) and this is Soliva sessilis (it was referred to as Soliva pterosperma) and is the daisy family Asteraceae. Note the numerous differences to the above two species:Image Image

I could write pages on the problems of common names (actually, I HAVE) but that's not important.

To repeat a few things Chuckchunder has already said: Caltrop is a nasty weed and is spreading fast in Perth. One of the problems is that councils try to control it by spraying but studies have shown that the spray does not affect the mature fruits (and councils seem to always spray AFTER the plants have set fruit - well, I know they do in Bayswater). If you hand-pull the plants (gloves, remember gloves) then try to gather up all the fruits. Place the plants and fruits in a plastic bag and take them away but DON'T just chuck them in the rubbish - this will just spread the weed. I wet everything in the bag, close it up and leave the bags in the sun for a few weeks and everything rots down (including the fruits). I think a mix of weedkiller and diesel works too but then you have the problem of what to do with the residue. You should check every few months for seedlings and any plants you may have missed. I think the requirement for constant checking is one of the reasons why this weed is getting out of control (you only have to overlook a 1 fruit and next year there will be a plant setting 50 fruits and the year after that... you get the picture).

I have spent many days trying to clean up an outbreak of caltrop at the Garratt Rd bridge but the sod of a thing has beaten me (yes, I reported it to the council and no, they didn't help).

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:57 pm

I forgot to mention - there are a lot of native Tribulus species but they don't occur around Perth. So if you're out and about in the Goldfields, Pilbara, Kimberley etc then don't go pulling up everything that looks a bit like the weed in Perth (lest an angry botanist suddenly descends upon you :wink: ).

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:06 pm

I don't live in Perth but I salute both of you for doing something about it yourselves!
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:25 am

I can attest to the seeds being a problem for years after the plant is removed; there is a path in the Swan Valley that had caltrop issues prior to last year when the plants were removed. Months later when the heavy rains came the old seeds floated onto the path and began another (off) season of punctures. So if you see a plant act on it quickly, kill it before it grows.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:27 am

That's all way out of my area, but I think you're onto something. Whether we like it or not, councils and Main Roads have limited resources and controlling this stuff seems like a big job. I think a bit of community activism is exactly what's needed. Probably numerous issues could be dealt with this way. Well done.

One suggestion - can you contact Main Roads to see if they'll give permission to go onto the freeway verge?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:59 am

AlexHuggs wrote:That's all way out of my area, but I think you're onto something. Whether we like it or not, councils and Main Roads have limited resources and controlling this stuff seems like a big job. I think a bit of community activism is exactly what's needed. Probably numerous issues could be dealt with this way. Well done.

One suggestion - can you contact Main Roads to see if they'll give permission to go onto the freeway verge?
Best not to do that, you'll enter a whole world of "Traffic Management" pain...
It might also be worth investigating some of the pre-emergent herbicides that kill seeds, if you can find one that doesn't require you to dress up like a chemical warfare warrior. The only problem is they may nuke the soil, leaving it vulnerable to other weed infestations.
Also, food colouring is useful, so you can see where you've sprayed.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 am

Nice work with the classifications BandedRail - spot on! Yes, common names create all sorts of confusion.

The only real answer is to get them prior to the first setting of seed, with a herbicide like Roundup usually being the most suitable for urban environments (pre-emergent herbicides are definitely not suitable for caltrop or doublegee). This is not something that individuals can do. Councils and/or main roads are the responsible parties and hold the requisite approvals.

I guess the real question has to be around getting action from the councils and main roads.

One particular angle could be around the invasiveness of the species displacing local flora and also creating issues for local fauna (both directly though injury and indirectly through displaced local flora food sources). Maybe the environmental pitch would get more traction than cycling???

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:55 pm

If this is a declared weed then perhaps the Ag Department (if we still have one) might help. Failing that the environmental protection authorities ought to act. I don't really expect anyone at any level of government will actually do anything so you guys who are pulling them out are definitely on the right track. Not only do they puncture tyres but they also stick into dogs paws and right through sandals. After you have been pulling them out check the soles of your shoes to make sure that you are not bring them home with you.

They are a total pain and something that has been common in the Wheatbelt for many years. Last weekends rain is just what will bring a big crop of them out.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Mediocratus wrote:If this is a declared weed then perhaps the Ag Department (if we still have one) might help.
Double Gees are a "declared pest" which should be reported (by you) and managed by local govt.

I had thought Caltrop was too (perhaps it was just in Stirling*) but it's listed as permitted. Ah, yes, it's "noxious" in Stirling - see http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/Council/E ... asion.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/declared-pl ... lared-pest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/organisms/1 ... der-by=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

zues

Postby zues » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 am

Caltrop isn't a declared weed because its summer growing so it doesn't compete with winter crops. Sheep and goats eat it. Its only a problem for Pushies and Townies.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 pm

I saw quite a few plants on the median strip in front of the East Perth train station as I drove towards the freeway/tunnel. I never knew or paid attention to what the leaves looked like before - Thanks for posting this thread -

David

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Caltrop was declared aa noxious weed back in the late 50's and 60's

My father was on "Weeds and Seeds" in the Ag Dept. He and a bunch of others spent years trying to eradicate it in the Merredin area. They used 24D as I recall.
It was a losing battle.
It was supposedly introduced to the area by the SEC. Who knows.

I'd say do what ever you can to clean it up. Once it gets beyond a certain stage it willbe almost impossible.

I recall that as kids we hated the stuff. When it wasn't puncturing your bike tyres it was busy puncturing you.

You could walk across a patch in thongs and literally grow taller.

John

yellagonga

Postby yellagonga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:04 am

Use tubeless sealant in your tunes, problem solved.

Grammar1

Postby Grammar1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:01 pm

It seems someone has been removing those plants that were rapidly encroaching the shared path alongside the Kwinana Fwy south of the narrows. I don't think they just died in the recent heat as they appear to be completely missing.

SimoneF

Postby SimoneF » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:47 am

I have never seen so much Caltrop popup around my suburb of Queens Park ever, verges on Hamilton Street are infested with it. Seems Council is not spraying routinely anymore like they used to? Like not at all..? I photograph and write, but Council does nothing. I remember they used to spray kerb line regularly in City of Canning to stop couch from growing over it. They also used to mow unkempt verges regularly.

I guess using less Pesticide is not a bad thing, but did they honestly think that renters and the like would start maintaining their verges, ppffh! You'd think that Council would be mowing more than ever before because of the increase in rentals properties who don't give a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, and the fact that the newly arrived residents don't have a culture of owning lawnmowers or garden tools. (I saw an Indian couple hacking a verge tree with a machete so they could park an extra car, so that's the thinking you are up against)

So I have been pulling it out by hand with gloves into a strong plastic bag, about 6 verges over a week, 1 hour each day after work.

That's what gets me, people walk past it everyday but don't contribute to its control, they peak at me through blinds or stare at me like I'm the weirdo!? Um get out of your house and help! And when I try to talk to the new migrant residents about it, they look at me like I have two heads. They are less house/verge proud than Aussies were 30 years ago.
If everyone could identify it and manually remove it, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm only one person, imagine if everyone looked after their property a bit, how much better suburban commuting would be for cyclists. Being on a bike really highlights urban decay, more than you will ever notice in a car. Which is why I think cyclists have more frustration and take it upon themselves, I know I do :(

When you have increasingly houses on your street being turned into rentals, you have all of a sudden 15 out of 20 verges that are unmowed & infested, as opposed to 5 out of 20 houses years ago, its a disturbing trend, where the equilibrium is swung so far to rentals than owner-occupiers, that its impossible for one person to get on top of.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:43 pm

SimoneF wrote: they peak at me through blinds or stare at me like I'm the weirdo!? Um get out of your house and help! And when I try to talk to the new migrant residents about it, they look at me like I have two heads.
Having some fact sheets handy, either straight from the Ag Dept or something you've made up, helps. Drop them in the letter boxes of houses as you do the verge.

I'm currently in a country I've never been to before and am struggling to get my head around what is (subconciously) considered "normal" and "proper". So I have a fair degree of sympathy for new arrivals - you really might look like you've two heads!

But most societies have concepts of voluntary civic service so following that line may help comprehension.

PS The other problem is that the verges actually belong to the councils and it is up to them to look after them - if they have (as is traditional) "outsourced" this to the property owner, then they need to follow up with the property owner (not the resident)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

zues

Postby zues » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:09 am

This is a bag of caltrop I harvested this week from Brentwood Road west of Tonkin Hwy near Lovegrove''s and from a ditch midway on Crystal Brook Road. 4 plants in all. I got these because its not far from home.
I ride Roe and Kwinana PSP's to South Perth. Noticed a few small plants on the side of the Roe PSP west of South Street(As mentioned by ChuckChunder) and there is also a few on the Corner of Farrington and Kwinana PSP heading to Perth.
If we all do a bit in our areas we could clear most of it up

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm

I went through some of this along the path next to Orrong Rd, heading toward Roe Hwy the other week. Been riding for around a year and never had any issues along there then suddenly I copped 3 of these in each tyre :(
I didn't spot the plants themselves but hopefully they were taking them out or something...