Freeway Bike Hike

Noodles12

Freeway Bike Hike

Postby Noodles12 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 am

Anyone know if you get a jersery in the registration pack this year? It used to be $90 for the 100km and you got a jersey, now it's $90 for the 60km and no mention of a jersey.
Imageurl]
Trek Domane 4.7 Giant XTC2

dmwill

Re: Freeway Bike Hike

Postby dmwill » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm guessing event organisers and all companies assisting with the event (traffic management, etc) missed the memo that the boom is over.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:40 pm

You didn't get a jersey as part of entry last year, but you could buy one when you picked up your pack - however they didn't really let you know u less you asked, so they hardly sold any. I did the longer ride (80 I think last year) and note the longest is shorter again this year. As fun as it is whizzing up the freeway at 40kmh in a big group, the shorter route really doesn't justify the entry fee

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I think its a case of car drivers complaining about the freeway being closed for a few hours.

Personally I have done this hike in the past a couple times, but it isnt the safest event with a lot of newbies starting in fast groups and then beign hazardous. I must admit though it is fun whizzing along on slick freeway bitumen with no real hills. However I would rather sign up for another event or just ride solo and donate the money to charity (if that's your main motivation).

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:59 pm

jlh wrote:I think its a case of car drivers complaining about the freeway being closed for a few hours.
You mean Karalee Katsambanis? (http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/karal ... ko6ov.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

jlh wrote:Personally I have done this hike in the past a couple times, but it isnt the safest event with a lot of newbies starting in fast groups and then beign hazardous. I must admit though it is fun whizzing along on slick freeway bitumen with no real hills. However I would rather sign up for another event or just ride solo and donate the money to charity (if that's your main motivation).
This. Last year we were the first few guys out. 6 mates who know how to ride in a bunch. We had about a dozen people latch onto us, overlapping wheels. A couple had tri/aero bar setups which is probably the most moronic thing you could ride with in a bunch. Certainly did not feel comfortable with those guys who had no easy reach to the brakes.

I know there is usually a mention about those bar setups being banned, but it's never enforced.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Dmwill- think I was part of that group, but I didn't have the tri bars.
One of our riding group has suggested it is a deliberate clash with the dams to make it less tempting for the "serious" cyclists and more of a family event. The shorter distance could be part of that push as well.
I was planning on taking my daughter on the 10k but the clash ruined that (and the bridges run and the roc race and just about every other autumn event)

jamesh

Postby jamesh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:46 pm

Those cobble stones at the start/end of the course were a bit of a pain. I wonder if they'll modify them as Elizabeth Quay continues to be developed? I saw one kid come off his bike as he rounded the last bend onto the stones.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:59 am

Anyone nail a traffic cone? Saw a few close calls.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Freeway Bike Hike set to raise $300,000
One cyclist was taken to hospital with a head injury after he fell from his bicycle near the Vincent Street off-ramp during the 60km event. He was in a serious but stable condition tonight.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:14 pm

nachoman wrote:
One cyclist was taken to hospital with a head injury after he fell from his bicycle near the Vincent Street off-ramp during the 60km event. He was in a serious but stable condition tonight.
That occurred right infront of us. Poor guy was out cold...pretty nasty. There was another fall a few km prior as well (I heard it behind me, but too dangerous to slow down/turn back).

A few nasty crashes were bound to happen. Once again, lack of experience and common sense played a role. The short family ones are probably ok, but the long distance ones are getting too dangerous IMO. I'd rather make a small donation and sleep in next time.