Kalamunda 100

chuckchunder

Kalamunda 100

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:28 pm

So a couple of months ago I was looking for new challenges and thought, ooer, that looks lumpy. I had a look at the BWA website and the maps for the ride either weren't up or wouldn't load, so I went hunting and found a couple of examples of the 2015 route on RidewithGPS. I went riding and looked at the roads. Then discovered that the ride is on the day we are celebrating my mum's 20th birthday.

Today I rode out to the start and then around the course. It was lumpy. The last hour or so was a little hot. It took me five and a half hours including stops to get around, which would have made me the slowest rider last year by about five minutes. I'm not unhappy with that, I was unsupported, had to detour a couple of km at Mundaring Weir for water and was riding a 16kg tricycle.

They've changed the course for this year slightly, which eliminates the part of last years course that includes the fools on Canning Rd. I reckon its not a bad ride if you like letting gravity pull you down hills.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

RonK

Re: Kalamunda 100

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:42 pm

chuckchunder wrote:Then discovered that the ride is on the day we are celebrating my mum's 20th birthday.
Your mum is only 20? :shock:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Yep. We're celebrating on Sundaythe 28th, but her birthday is the Monday.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:31 pm

chuckchunder wrote:... that includes the fools on Canning Rd....
?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:52 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
chuckchunder wrote:... that includes the fools on Canning Rd....
?
yeah the route I followed included two laps out to Karragullen and back to Pickering Brook along Canning Rd. I've been riding that road for twenty years and for some reason I experience more foolish behaviour by road users on that stretch than anywhere else. A good example on Sunday was the learner driver who followed two other cars in overtaking me as a truck was coming the other way. The trainer must have been honing the L platers ninja senses as they missed my front wheel by millimetres.