Grumpy Perth cyclists - Can we not be so poo to each other?

sarahactivated

Grumpy Perth cyclists - Can we not be so poo to each other?

Postby sarahactivated » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 pm

If you're one of the cyclists that likes to give 'drive-by' advice, let me tell you how it makes somebody feel.

It sucks. I feel like sh*t. I love cycling. But not on days like this.

We have to worry about cars and pedestrians. Why do I have to feel like I'm being bullied by you too.

Why have I been targeted twice in this one month already? I am careful. I am considerate. I might even say I'm dorky-as-sh*t with the etiquette, bell-ring, high-vis and clear hand indications.

Today I was yelled at for having a deflated back tire.

If you want to know what the man said...or yelled actually...it was "Why don't you have consideration for the rest of the public and keep your tires inflated? You're rear tire is flat." (Just imagine that in all caps).

Funny thing is, I saw a young man on the way to work with a pretty badly deflated tire. But I wasn't going to yell at him. Are you kidding me? How is that even the first thing you think of doing?

Seriously, next time you want to give somebody advice:
  • Pull up next to them WHEN IT'S SAFE
  • Talk to them NICELY if there's nobody behind you or infront of you, BUT if it's too busy:
  • Ask them to pull over so you can impart your wisdom on them
The other 'drive-by' advice I got was that I should "cycle straight". Seriously. I know how to cycle. It is infuriating to be told how to cycle straight like an effing idiot.

If you want to know why somebody thought they had to tell me that, it was because it was a Monday, the first Monday after the Xmas break. It was a beautiful day. Nobody was around so I was gently weaving like a hippy-idiot. I was gently-weaving in the lane with nobody in front of me and nobody behind me.

But no.

No, no. Don't you dare enjoy this beautiful day.

Cycle straight.
Sarah - Perth WA

softy

Re: Grumpy Perth cyclists - Can we not be so poo to each oth

Postby softy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Don't worry about the haters.

As long as you are obeying the law, it is only their narrow minded opinion. I do sometimes shout out, but only to tell someone their bike has something wrong, eg: like their saddle bag is loose and about to fall off.

There is alot of bike clicks, as far as i am concerned, if your pedalling then your a cyclist, not a sub group.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:13 pm

....consideration for the rest of the public and keep your tires inflated?
What.... Jeezus... I just can't....

That sort of comment screams of other personal issues being vented on unassuming innocents. To take the heat off 'cycling' per se; you get these malcontents spritzing their bile on everyone within involuntary earshot. Just be the better person, bite your lip and channel your own frustration/reactionary agro into riding a bit further or faster. Find out to vent things positively in any given situation - not on other people.

It's sods like this in the work place that make me pop blood vessels. My current work supervisor is a case in point.... I really enjoy the slog home on the bike to vent out my agro because of him.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

XIX

Postby XIX » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:56 am

The first comment is ridiculous. Riding with a flat tyre is not really anyone elses business.

However I have to disagree. It is very unsafe to be weaving on a path with a bike. It makes it very difficult for someone to overtake you safely. There was obviously someone around otherwise they wouldn't have been there to shout. Everyone has the right to enjoy the bike paths safely, and that requires respect for and from all users. I dont think weaving is showing respect to the others users you want respect from.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:14 am

XIX wrote:The first comment is ridiculous. Riding with a flat tyre is not really anyone elses business.

However I have to disagree. It is very unsafe to be weaving on a path with a bike. It makes it very difficult for someone to overtake you safely. There was obviously someone around otherwise they wouldn't have been there to shout. Everyone has the right to enjoy the bike paths safely, and that requires respect for and from all users. I dont think weaving is showing respect to the others users you want respect from.
I quite often weave in and out of the white lines on the bike path when no one is around. Makes it a bit interesting for a while, keeps my eye in for bike control and it's a little bit of fun. I've also been caught behind someone who was doing it, no biggie, just waited for a few seconds, lined it up and zipped through when there was a gap. I think he must have had headphones on as I don't seem to recall being able to warn him so he got a shock when I passed.

No reason to shout and rant. Just get on with it. I've done some stupid things that probably warranted a bit of a shout and will happily admit I was wrong and apologise. I've also witnessed plenty, but it is more effective to just shake my head with :roll: and get on with my life.

Enjoy your riding, ignore the shouty ones, they are no better than idiot motorists that punish pass.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 am

bychosis wrote:
XIX wrote: I quite often weave in and out of the white lines on the bike path when no one is around. Makes it a bit interesting for a while, keeps my eye in for bike control and it's a little bit of fun. I've also been caught behind someone who was doing it, no biggie, just waited for a few seconds, lined it up and zipped through when there was a gap. I think he must have had headphones on as I don't seem to recall being able to warn him so he got a shock when I passed.
I observed similar yesterday! There was a guy on the phone on the path going slowly (or trying to trackstand), weaving over the white line. I rang my bell on approach, and he rang his back (as acknowledgement I guess)

XIX

Postby XIX » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 am

I do agree no need to carry on. I will normally just shout "bike" if I think there is a risk. Makes it safer for everyone

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:04 am

Some people have had a carp day / month / life and like to take it out on others, regardless of their means of transport, try not to let their mental health issues affect your mood. Giving them a cheery thanks and a wave usually leaves me in a good mood & confuses the heck out of them.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:42 am

softy wrote:There is alot of bike clicks, as far as i am concerned,.
I can recommend a good mechanic.
inflammatory statement or idea

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Flattish tires are showing contempt for the general public? Now THAT is someone making a huge effort to think of something to complain about. What a tosser.

As long as the rider in front doesn't cross the lanes, weaving inside the lane isn't a problem either as I just ding my bell and overtake on the other side of the path.

Ignore the idiots Sarah.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Mububban wrote:Flattish tires are showing contempt for the general public? Now THAT is someone making a huge effort to think of something to complain about. What a tosser.

As long as the rider in front doesn't cross the lanes, weaving inside the lane isn't a problem either as I just ding my bell and overtake on the other side of the path.

Ignore the idiots Sarah.
+1....and theres nothing wrong with being a 'hippy-idiot' from time to time :wink:

BB creek

Postby BB creek » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Old man Fred's correct statement should have been "what tire pressure are you running?"

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Sarah, he sounds like someone who us trying to compensate for his own diminutive issues.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 pm

OldBloke wrote:Sarah, he sounds like someone who us trying to compensate for his own diminutive issues.
Yep.
AYHSMB
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:50 am

I wear high vis, make hand signals, wobble all over the path, have a bell and all kinds of other safety stuff fitted, and I have a petrol generator on it running which many cyclists have an issue with.

The worst that ever happened to me was someone rode up and told me they were illegal.. I was ready to start an argument in the two seconds before I realized he was misinformed but otherwise trying to be genuinely helpful... Shame on me.

Most perth cyclists are actually pretty nice... Stop by the path side one day, and make it look like you're fixing something, and count the number of people who stop and help :)

Sorry to hear you ran into someone who was not that nice though - :( It's not your fault.

Though that big high-vis? Isn't it a bit hot in summer? I just wear a vest.

David

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:44 am

There's f******ts in every crowd. Just ignore them and enjoy the ride.

(trust me, I had reason to spend several hours on the freeway today. Oh my sweet Lord :shock: :shock: :shock: )
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

sarahactivated

Postby sarahactivated » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 pm

I have to admit that I've been having a sh*t time riding since the post. I have an irrational fear that I'm going to be yelled at. You know the thing you do - when you're thinking about what you should have said to someone during an argument - and you can't help but get riled up again? Well I'm still doing that...like a month after that guy yelled at me.

I have more important things in my life to worry about.

Maybe I should have read the replies to my post earlier. Maybe I would have felt better. But I was not in the mood to read negative comments. There weren't any though :) thankfully. But you know how it gets in the forum sometimes...

Thanks guys to everyone who replied. I actually had a really good experience on my way home from work that day. A guy..I forget his name..Dan maybe? but he offered to pump my tire with his hand pump. He was so nice. I think he didn't realize that I actually live here from my American accent, but he kept telling me that I'll come across rude cyclists like that in Perth sometimes and told me not to worry about them.

But anyway. Night guys. I'm messaging everyone who replied since y'all made my day.
Sarah - Perth WA

eldavo

Re: Grumpy Perth cyclists - Can we not be so poo to each other?

Postby eldavo » Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 pm

When I commuted, a fit 40-something female colleague reported the random morons shouting condescending snipes at her. It seemed much more common than I'd encountered as a 30-something male. Kind of like wolf whistling has been suppressed and replaced with more miserable misogyny.

I used to cycle with an improvised MP3 ghetto blaster and accessible water bottle so that was the beginning of making my commute into my own world. You can't shoot all the miserable morons (not for long term success at least), but you can silence and ignore them.

First incarnation:

Much cooler 2nd incarnation:

They see me rollin' hey be hatin'

Riding all weather every day no car/bus/train etc. the gutsy lithium powered USB charging speaker eventually succumbed. I had 2 of them I think one survived, but I'll look for a weather proof new replacement now that I've mentioned it for nostalgia.

I haven't been prompted to move from my current mp3 headphone setup, that's been useful in all of life's activities using power tools or hammers or showering, these waterproof MP3 player headphones are the shizzle. I had the NWZ-273 4GB version in black, and added the NWZ-274 8GB international sourced version in white. It's a nice bright "F-OFF" to any attempts for unsolicited communication.
http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nwz-w273-nwz-w274s

I let my white ones get into the hands of a 3yo boy who re-engineered certain qualities, which I made worse trying to reverse engineer resulting in many more smaller pieces. At the time the Smart B-Trainer was just out in Japan, so I upgraded to the 16GB capacity, and the extra features to play with.
http://smartsports.sony.net/b-trainer/p ... index.html

The Sony Smart B-Trainer is intended as a running music player with GPS tracking and training aids, but you can switch some or all of the extras off to just have a great capacity waterproof MP3 player with my estimated 12hr run time just playing music (max I've got to is 10hrs still going).
It only plays shuffle mode, and I want a cheaper non-cycling use unit to burn at home, so I'm still in the market for the cheaper simpler predecessor 4GB or 8GB version to be able to play albums straight through and skip tracks chronologically, and a quarter of the cost.

For ambient noise, you can run a smaller bud or break the seal of proper size. e.g. riding on the beach I keep the sea side sealed to cut the strong sea breeze, but loosen the inland side to still hear the ambient sound of the waves.
I like the sealed in-ear buds in various sizes to get a good seal, reduces excessive wind noise, reduces headphone volume required, music sounds better etc. I ride paths not roads 95% of the time whatever's more safety in my control. I've come from motorcycle riding with an interest in advanced roadcraft for survival before substituting it all with cycling, so I head check every move like an owl and don't rely on the negligible sound from rear approaching people/vehicles.