Overshoes for Perth Conditions

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Cant decide whether to get toe covers or full booties. Will be riding at 5am in winter, not heavy rain tho, but light showers yes.

Until now have not used anything, only issue has been cold toes and the odd wet feet riding through puddles.

These: http://www.this link is broken.au/castelli-diluvio-shoecover-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and/or these: http://www.this link is broken.au/castelli-toe-thingy-toe-cover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't mind getting both but want to sure I will use the full shoecovers

Thoughts??
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

toofat

Re: Overshoes for Perth Conditions

Postby toofat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

I have tried both
the shoe covers( not that brand) were a pain to put on and remove and water still got in them
used the castelli toe covers and they really help keep the toes warm but are not super durable, got two winters out of mine before the mesh on the sole part gave way
now use shimano waterproof mountain bike shoes, about $75 ,feet warm and dry, not as light as race shoes but at 5am you wont be racing anyway

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:40 pm

I really love my toe covers. Definitely not durable but they're great at keeping the cold off one's tootsies! This is all I need on most days during the depths of our brutally cold, miserable and unending winter - well, all 8 weeks of it anyway.

I find overshoes a pain and not water proof, but still use them on really wet days ... Although I'm not completely sure why ...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:48 pm

As RonK points out, it;s mostly about keeping the wind off your feet. Frankly, shopping bags over your shoes would work as well.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:14 pm

Thoglette wrote:
As RonK points out, it;s mostly about keeping the wind off your feet. Frankly, shopping bags over your shoes would work as well.
Subway bags over the socks - that's what the offroad endurance riders are using.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:19 am

Get some Merino socks for a start. My toes really feel the cold, merino socks take care of this. They also dry pretty quickly.

I have both the full covers and the toe covers as per first post. Toe covers are good enough to shield the wind/chill. The full covers are pretty toasty, you don't notice until you pull them off that your feet are in a sauna and dropping in sweat (and that's with normal socks). Can't comment on water resistance though, I avoid the rain.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:49 am

If it's cold, it is pretty dry, so get something with some insulation. I use BBB Waterflex overshoes, which are good for light rain and road splash. They keep feet warm down to ~1°C. There are thicker BBB available, but probably not needed for Perth conditions.

When it is wet it isn't too cold, so get something with no insulation, and just vary sock thickness as required. The only overshoe that works in medium or heavy rain is Velotoze, which is essentially a condom for your feet.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks everyone, great info.

Velotoze - condoms for your feet haha (dickfoot?... I've been called !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! before!)

I'll try merino sox and toe covers. The mob I train/ride with avoid really wet conditions for safety (read their liability insurance).
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 am

Bumping this as my shoes were squishy with water by the time i got in, any recommedations for overshoes but for MTB shoes?

i commute in GIRO privateers, cheers!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

Overshoes will protect you from rain, but will not protect you from the trickles of water that run down your legs.
I'm another BBB waterflex user
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri May 27, 2016 3:42 pm

I use sealskinz water proof socks, very effective at keeping feet warm on a cold perth morning, and quite good for keeping dry from road spray too.

The weak point used to be water running down your legs into the top of the sock in heavy rain. The latest versions have added a silicone seal around the top of the sock to reduce this but I haven't tried them in heavy rain yet.

SenatorDC

Postby SenatorDC » Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 pm

go with the overshoes. they keep your feet warm and they can be left on the boot. and yes buy the merino wool socks as suggested above