Steele Bishop OAM

hiflange

Steele Bishop OAM

Postby hiflange » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 pm

The WAHCC has had Steele Bishop's World Champioship Estermann bike on loan from the WA Museum as part of our exhibition at the Museum of Perth. It's the first time it's been seen in public for literally decades!

The exhibition winds up on April 9th and I'm excited to say that we're going out with a bang - Steele Bishop has agreed to come in to the venue on Thurs 7th at midday to do a short presentation about his career. RSVP essential - reece@museumofperth.com.au

HappyHumber

Re: Steele Bishop OAM

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Nice one!
This outer urban wage slave gives his apologies now for that time and date :\
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Sadly this inner urban one already has a booking that precludes attendance. I'm now hoping for a cancellation!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Video please, for those on the Best Coast, and for future generations, of course.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Video please, for those on the Best Coast, and for future generations, of course.
Unfortunately it looks as if I won't be there otherwise I'd shoot video of it.
I can make sure we have an audio record though. I'll speak to Reece at MoP to see if he has a friendly video person, otherwise any Perth peeps with skills are most welcome to contribute :-)

QuangVuong

Steele Bishop OAM

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 am

When I first saw this frame, it looked very familiar. Then I remembered seeing it here. The ST clamp design and HT gusset is very distinctive.

I do wonder why they chose to go with some tiny seatpost diameter over using the matching aero shaped seatpost. Surely back then the aero seat posts(either Shimano or Columbus Air) would have been readily available rather than turning down the Campag post.

This was where Bishop first saw the frame design and he then got his frame built.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

RobertFrith wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Video please, for those on the Best Coast, and for future generations, of course.
I can make sure we have an audio record though. I'll speak to Reece at MoP to see if he has a friendly video person, otherwise any Perth peeps with skills are most welcome to contribute :-)
We'd all be grateful for whatever you can do, audio will be fine. Thanks in advance.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 am

QuangVuong wrote:I do wonder why they chose to go with some tiny seatpost diameter over using the matching aero shaped seatpost. Surely back then the aero seat posts(either Shimano or Columbus Air) would have been readily available rather than turning down the Campag post.
Were they even making aero posts in 1981? This early aero Colnago made between 1981 and 1983 also sports a skinny (20mm!) round post.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:50 am

I believe Columbus AIR came out in 1980, and it came with the proprietary seatpost too. There were a few variations in the tubing shapes over the years. Tange Aero Dynamics tubing was released together with the Shimano Ax groupsets in Autumn 1980. Here's a catalogue from 1981. There were a few different ST shapes from Tange, and Shimano made the seatposts to suit too.

So, yes they definitely did make aero posts in 1981. The Oval CX came with a Colnago branded seatpost made at the 20mm size, whereas the Estermann bikes have seatposts which look to be turned down to the skinny size.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:22 pm

Close up FWIW. I'll get the question asked and have a closer look when we bump the show out in a week and a half.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
RobertFrith wrote:
We'd all be grateful for whatever you can do, audio will be fine. Thanks in advance.

@RobertFrith : in lieu of any of us being there to video or record the occasion; perhaps we can get one of our longer retired foundation WAHCC members to transcribe the talk in long hand? :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:11 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Close up FWIW. I'll get the question asked and have a closer look when we bump the show out in a week and a half.
RetroGrouch: Mr. Bishop, why did you choose to use the Campagnolo asymmetric phase coupler array over Shimano's nucleonic pulse harmoniser on the auxiliary tuberosity support beam?

Steele Bishop: Yeah, I rode the bike really fast but not as fast as some of the other guys on bikes who were going fast, but faster than the guys who weren't going as fast. Does that answer your question?

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 pm

RetroGrouch: Steele are you real?

Steele Bishop: Yes

RetroGrouch: So, I think we have our answer, steel is real

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:42 pm

piledhigher wrote:Steele is real
fixed! Great (inner) dialogue :-)

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:16 pm

Reminder, if you're in Perth (or close by) this is on tomorrow. Sadly I'll be occupied earning a crust a few hundred metres away. QuangVuong and JohnJ I have forwarded your questions/requests to the comrade Tim, who will be managing the gig. We'll have club members present wielding video and audio equipage, so all going well I'll be able to share the result soon.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm