bicycle shop price negotiation

SenatorDC

bicycle shop price negotiation

Postby SenatorDC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:42 pm

Do our local stores like tbe negotiate on price? I'd like to buy from my lbs, but more often than not the price difference between an online shop and local stores is huge... anyone care to share their experiences?

Sparx

Re: bicycle shop price negotiation

Postby Sparx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:09 am

I recently bought a bike and managed to get a better discount by mentioning better price than I had seen. You can always ask and see what their best is. Most LBS will not be able to match online bike shops though.

In my case even though the price was higher I went with the LBS because they gave me a bike fit (and actually I was heading towards buying the wrong size so it was worth it!)

Some brands seem to be more flexible too - e.g. Trek can be quite inflexible with discounting.

bane

Postby bane » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:41 am

I negotiated a $1490 bike down to $1370 in my LBS, and then got the guy to put on a bottle cage at no extra cost.

SenatorDC

Postby SenatorDC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 am

thanks for the info, what about accessories (eg: lights, components, even clothes)? I too brought my bike from my lbs as well as numerous tubes and tyres etc, however with other accessories the variety and price of online stores is just so much better. I am look at getting a Cateye Volt 800, tbe has them for $199, yet online retailers sell them for $128-160. I'll give tbe a call later today and see if they can better their price as I want to support local, but the tide seems to be against all these local players. Actually to start a small rant, I checked out about 20 Perth retailers last night that have websites and about 80% of them still don't sell goods online (fair enough though, but $#%(AT)#)

:-)

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:17 am

Fo accessories they were unable to price match on some Shimano XT pedals in my case

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 am

10%, give or take. But it depends on the service you're getting really.

I'd sooner a better over all service (fit, after sales service etc) than a cheaper price. I could have got a 20% discount online for my bike - but I would have had to build it myself, wouldn't have had the initial fit, wouldn't get the free tune up a month after buying it. Instead I only got a 10% discount and got all of the above.

Holesy

Postby Holesy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:46 pm

SenatorDC wrote:Actually to start a small rant, I checked out about 20 Perth retailers last night that have websites and about 80% of them still don't sell goods online (fair enough though, but $#%(AT)#)

Yeah I really wish a lot of the Perth bike shops would invest in a good website that at least gave some indication of what they have in stock/what they are carrying. Very frustrating.

It's one of the reasons I rate TBE

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:01 pm

You can always ask if the LBS can do any better - a sale is a sale to them, but the goodwill is more important - particularly if you're an established customer. In saying that, sometimes they simply do not have the margin to do much.

Good luck with it.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Noodles12

Postby Noodles12 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:30 pm

I'd sooner a better over all service (fit, after sales service etc) than a cheaper price. I could have got a 20% discount online for my bike - but I would have had to build it myself, wouldn't have had the initial fit, wouldn't get the free tune up a month after buying it. Instead I only got a 10% discount and got all of the above.
This is why I rate TBE, any store that has great customer service, with knowledgable, friendly staff deserves my business. I bought my last bike from them and so have a few of the people I ride with and we can't fault there service, we were all also able to negotiate a discount when purchasing the bike.
But if you want to buy accessories, I don't think you'll get a better price than online.
Imageurl]
Trek Domane 4.7 Giant XTC2

bane

Postby bane » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:36 am

Sometimes the LBS will do nice things without asking anyway. For example, they once replaced a gear cable at no cost, and when I said I needed some valve caps, they just gave me a handful.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but would always buy somethings from a store - a bike especially.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Some stores won't come down much on ticketed price but what you will find is that they are more willing to throw in a whole heap of goodies with the new bike so its best to make a list of your needs before heading in and get all the accessories thrown in for free e.g lights, pumps, tubes, cages, water bottles, lube, maybe some cheap tools (allen keys pedal wrench etc), all the little stuff you can think of. Can add up to about $100!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

softy

Postby softy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 pm

it depends on the bike as well,

I bought a cervelo S5 which retailed at 8200 and got it for 4900. this was because it was last years model, so old stock. if it was the latest model year I don't think so.....

so it is a bit like cars, floor stock that is old is up for the pickings, but the size needs to be right.

all I can say is if you don't ask and shop around you will not get the best price. some shops are more willing to move.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:37 am

softy wrote:it depends on the bike as well,

I bought a cervelo S5 which retailed at 8200 and got it for 4900. this was because it was last years model, so old stock. if it was the latest model year I don't think so.....

so it is a bit like cars, floor stock that is old is up for the pickings, but the size needs to be right.

all I can say is if you don't ask and shop around you will not get the best price. some shops are more willing to move.
Good deal!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 am

And I'm sure the shop was still making a profit at $4900.

jlh

Postby jlh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Don't really see the logic in screwing a lbs down $20 on a $200 light - yes they might have the margin to do it but its only $20, and lbs need some higher margin products to survive.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:01 pm

jlh wrote:Don't really see the logic in screwing a lbs down $20 on a $200 light - yes they might have the margin to do it but its only $20, and lbs need some higher margin products to survive.
If I could talk a lbs down from $200 to say $180, versus $150 online delivered, I'd be more likely to buy from the lbs. But once the price difference gets too big, unless you've got money to burn, everyone's going to go to the online seller.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Normally they cannot match the overseas online prices but can match local online prices (eg Bikebug) in most cases. I have nearly always managed some discount whenever I ask. My regular LBS just discounts automatically for me now and I don't have to ask, but I have bought three bikes there over the years and make sure I get all my incidental purchases from them and throw in the odd repair or service too even though I have all the tools and most of the knowledge not to stuff up too badly.

Had good discounts from TBE Belmont, Bikeforce Cannington, Avanti Cannington, Giant in Canning Vale to name a few, and only one of which is my go-to LBS.

SenatorDC

Postby SenatorDC » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Mububban wrote:
jlh wrote:Don't really see the logic in screwing a lbs down $20 on a $200 light - yes they might have the margin to do it but its only $20, and lbs need some higher margin products to survive.
If I could talk a lbs down from $200 to say $180, versus $150 online delivered, I'd be more likely to buy from the lbs. But once the price difference gets too big, unless you've got money to burn, everyone's going to go to the online seller.
I agree :-)

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 pm

It depends how handy you are with your bike. If you expect your Local Bike Shop to help you with repairs, you got to make sure that there is a LBS. It is like a local deli and a supermarket. If you can afford it, you should support them. If you cannot afford to support them, you better skill up ....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:24 pm

I just ask what they can do and they inevitably discount bikes and throw in a few bits. Like IM, I buy a lot of incidentals at my LBS - I want them there when I really need them.