Hit and Run Tonight - Bayswater/Bassendean - Any witnesses?

Mooro

Hit and Run Tonight - Bayswater/Bassendean - Any witnesses?

Postby Mooro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Hey guys,

Was involved in a hit and run today. Coming along the Midland bike path at the Railway Parade/Guildford road railway crossing just past Tonkin highway.

Boom gates were down and flashing so I continued on my way without stopping. Guy in a white VS commodore ute with a big bullbar decides he is going to go on the wrong side of the road and cross the railway line by zigzagging around the boom gates. He pulled straight in front of me and I went straight into the side of him at about 35km/hr.

Anyway I was pretty dazed and in a fair bit of pain, guy says he will just pull off the road and then proceeds to drive off and not stop. In the heat of moment I stupidly didn't get his number plate.

End results is a fair bit of grazing and some bad bruising, my knee and shoulder are both starting to freeze up now. Carbon fibre bike frame is toast, snapped the downtube in half.

Anyway, a long shot but wondering if anyone happened to witness it and get the guys number plate?

Cycleops70

Re: Hit and Run Tonight - Bayswater/Bassendean - Any witnesses?

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:15 pm

There's often cctv at rail crossings.
Have you contacted police? PTA is unlikely to release image to public, & I guess police would need to be willing to make the effort.
Possibly a long shot.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 pm

Glad you're mostly OK - Could have been a lot worse. That idiot in the ute needs jail time.

Post as much as you can - A description of the driver, his face, hair color, voice, anything you remember. Details such as approximate time, etc. I came through that way in a car, but didn't see anything.

Include stuff like where you hit the car, was there panel damage etc? Post to a few local sites and neighborhood watch lists in the area.

Go to https://www.crashreport.com.au/ocrf/ and fill it in. Include details on your injuries. Go to hospital and get checked up too. In case you have something serious that manifests later, you'll be glad you did.

A lot of us ride through the area, and there's a chance he will go through there again. If we see something that correlates, at least we can go and take a picture of the driver's face if they are stopped, or if we see it again.

David.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:There's often cctv at rail crossings.
Have you contacted police? PTA is unlikely to release image to public, & I guess police would need to be willing to make the effort.
Possibly a long shot.
Check nearby businesses, etc asap. They might have something facing the road capturing the car either before or after the incident.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:05 am

cj7hawk wrote:Go to https://www.crashreport.com.au/ocrf/ and fill it in. Include details on your injuries. Go to hospital and get checked up too.
What he said. Now!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am

It is probably also worthwhile to contact PTA to report the 'Z move' through the active level crossing. If you can give them a time window they will check any footage they have for the offending vehicle.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like PTA have any CCTV at that crossing but it is possible that an on-board camera on a train caught the incident or potentially saw the offending vehicle waiting at the crossing before the incident.

From Google Streetview the business opposite looks like they might have an external CCTV camera that may have caught it:

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-31.918546 ... 312!8i6656

I'd suggest dropping by or giving them a call.

Mooro

Postby Mooro » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 pm

thanks for all the suggestions. Have made a police report although not holding my breath. Have also checked with all the shops in the area for cctv but none have anything capturing the road.

Looks like I will just have to try find a cheap frame to rebuild the bike and move on from this one.

Cheers

Kymcarr

Postby Kymcarr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 pm

I was also a victim of hit and run 3 x weeks ago I ended up in hospital for a week with terrible injuries, like you driver did not stop, I have no recollection till woke up in ambulance. There was a cctv camera which had footage from a neighboring house, only showed car no registration number, turns out to be 2010 white Getz, which are very common. If I was you I would seek medical treatment and go on crash report site, then fill out a ICWA registration form.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:04 am

Mooro wrote:thanks for all the suggestions. Have made a police report although not holding my breath. Have also checked with all the shops in the area for cctv but none have anything capturing the road.

Looks like I will just have to try find a cheap frame to rebuild the bike and move on from this one.

Cheers
Based on the police report I believe you might be able to apply for victim of crime compensation.

Perhaps worth looking into.