Bike down - Ashfield

matthecat

Bike down - Ashfield

Postby matthecat » Fri May 06, 2016 2:42 pm

On train this morning about 10.00am and saw ambulance attending to a cyclist on Railway Pde in Ashfield.
Just Midland side of railway museum site where the spur line crosses the road.
Was raining and line crosses road at about a 45 degree angle so assume front wheel slid out.
Take care in the damp conditions especially at places like this and road markings (turn arrors etc).
Regards

mikedufty

Re: Bike down - Ashfield

Postby mikedufty » Fri May 06, 2016 3:50 pm

there was a thread here a few years ago with all the riders who have broken bones there discussing it. Seems not much has changed.

foz

Postby foz » Fri May 06, 2016 6:22 pm

One of the local Doctors, came off on the same spot,complained to council, numerous times, as did myself, its been fixed up quite a few times.

Last time, they had some cyclists ride across (on big fat tyre mountain bike ) was passed as fixed.
The rail line in question is still used, by rail museum and Railways yard at back.
Many an Ambulance has stopped there, to transport injured cyclists to hospital.

I, now do a bigger loop and never cross it.

Hope cyclist is not to badly injured, wish you a speedy recovery..

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri May 06, 2016 6:30 pm

mikedufty wrote:there was a thread here a few years ago with all the riders who have broken bones there discussing it. Seems not much has changed.
I didn't know about that and given the likelihood I may encounter it some day, much appreciated for pointing it out -

David

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri May 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Claims a few riders. Helped out a downed rider mid last year who was taken away in ambulance with suspected broken bits and bobs. I use it regularly without incident, although i do try to hit it little more square on by riding out then in towards kerb. Im sure they could treat a 1m wide section with the infill material they use at some controlled rail crossings.

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Fri May 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Very sorry to hear about rider getting injured, but why no ride on the other side of the midland to Perth railway line on the excellent cycle path.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat May 07, 2016 1:16 am

Jerryjan wrote:Very sorry to hear about rider getting injured, but why no ride on the other side of the midland to Perth railway line on the excellent cycle path.
Probably heading to work somewhere nearby, or perhaps heading towards the northwestern side of the tracks.

David

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat May 07, 2016 10:11 am

It's a handy route if you're on the north side already and can link up with the PSP on the north side near Bassendean Stn without having to cross over the train line back near Tonkin.

The tracks at that point are at a very shallow angle to the road, probably 25°. I'm wary of tracks even when they're at right angles to the road and dry, so this crossing is extremely sketchy, your wheels would be on the track for a long time, and the gap either side of each track would push your wheel out.

The crossing at the corner of East St & Great Eastern Hwy in Guildford is another to watch out for. Heading west/south you need to complete the turn earlier than you usually would to be able to straighten up and wipe off any lateral forces before hitting the tracks.

roller

Postby roller » Sat May 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Turns out this was a friend of mine, nothing broken thank goodness.
inflammatory statement or idea

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 pm

roller wrote:Turns out this was a friend of mine, nothing broken thank goodness.
Good to hear -

I saw someone riding up that way instead of the PSP - but they turned at one of the streets, so I guess there's probably fairly regular local traffic across those lines.

Regards
David

foz

Postby foz » Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi ..I ride up that part of the road, past Ashfield Station, now to the Plaster works, cut in the backstreets, to Bayswater, bypassing that part of the Cycle way.
I feel safer, in doing this, because every time I seem to ride on cycle way to Bayswater, 2 or 3 abreast groups coming along at high speed..
Have mentioned to them ride single file, get told where to go and where to put my head.

In my opinion, we have some good cycle ways.
The choices are ours to make, these choices are being taken away by selfish people.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon May 09, 2016 5:22 pm

foz wrote:Hi ..I ride up that part of the road, past Ashfield Station, now to the Plaster works, cut in the backstreets, to Bayswater, bypassing that part of the Cycle way.
I feel safer, in doing this, because every time I seem to ride on cycle way to Bayswater, 2 or 3 abreast groups coming along at high speed..
Have mentioned to them ride single file, get told where to go and where to put my head.

The choices are ours to make, these choices are being taken away by selfish people.
Agree 100% , and one of the few times i decide to use said PSP a few weeks ago i had to hit the dirt due to rider/riders on my side of the path (almost directly adjacent to the rail lines)
Much rather have the occasional close pass than have to put up with some of dicks on the PSPs

softy

Postby softy » Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 pm

the law says single file only on a PSP. So they are not just being selfish but doing the wrong thing :)

foz

Postby foz » Tue May 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Shared paths and
footpaths
There are some special rules for the use of
shared paths (formerly called dual-use paths) and
footpaths in WA. Shared paths are paths that
are designated for shared use by cyclists and
pedestrians.
• Children younger than 12 years of age may
ride on any footpath unless a ‘no bicycles
sign’ has been erected.
• Riders 12 years of age and over are not
permitted to ride on a footpath.
• Riders must keep left on shared paths and
footpaths unless overtaking.
• Riders must give way to pedestrians at all
times (pedestrians include people walking,
using motorised and non-motorised
wheelchairs, and people on rollerblades and
skates).
• At shared path intersections, you must signal
your intention to turn and give way to motor
vehicles entering or exiting an intersecting
road.
• Riders must travel in single file on all paths,
though they can travel two abreast on a road.
• Riders must not ride carelessly or recklessly.
Riding recklessly includes riding at a speed
that places other riders and pedestrians at
risk.

Just found this ..re Western Australia..did not want to start another thread.
Just following up on Laws on Cycleways..Are there any other links please.

https://www.bwa.org.au/file/Cycling%20R ... %20DoT.pdf

softy

Postby softy » Tue May 10, 2016 7:55 pm

foz wrote:Shared paths and
footpaths
There are some special rules for the use of
shared paths (formerly called dual-use paths) and
footpaths in WA. Shared paths are paths that
are designated for shared use by cyclists and
pedestrians.
• Children younger than 12 years of age may
ride on any footpath unless a ‘no bicycles
sign’ has been erected.
• Riders 12 years of age and over are not
permitted to ride on a footpath.
• Riders must keep left on shared paths and
footpaths unless overtaking.
• Riders must give way to pedestrians at all
times (pedestrians include people walking,
using motorised and non-motorised
wheelchairs, and people on rollerblades and
skates).
• At shared path intersections, you must signal
your intention to turn and give way to motor
vehicles entering or exiting an intersecting
road.
• Riders must travel in single file on all paths,
though they can travel two abreast on a road.
• Riders must not ride carelessly or recklessly.
Riding recklessly includes riding at a speed
that places other riders and pedestrians at
risk.

Just found this ..re Western Australia..did not want to start another thread.
Just following up on Laws on Cycleways..Are there any other links please.

https://www.bwa.org.au/file/Cycling%20R ... %20DoT.pdf
That sounds like something from the PTA pamphlet, sorry to inform, it is out of date. They have just changed the law to allow all ages to ride on footpaths accept where a sign specific states you can't. Referencing the Road Traffic Code 2000 would be a better source.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri May 13, 2016 3:18 pm

NASHIE wrote:
foz wrote:Hi ..I ride up that part of the road, past Ashfield Station, now to the Plaster works, cut in the backstreets, to Bayswater, bypassing that part of the Cycle way.

Agree 100% , and one of the few times i decide to use said PSP a few weeks ago i had to hit the dirt due to rider/riders on my side of the path (almost directly adjacent to the rail lines)
Much rather have the occasional close pass than have to put up with some of dicks on the PSPs
You must be unlucky then. I rode that stretch twice a day for 5 - 6 years and never once had problems like you describe. On a Sturday and Sunday you get groups but never had a problem.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri May 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Yes a little unlucky. The incident is in a thread down the page 'HTFU'. Close on 40yrs riding a bike on the road as a kid, training, racing etc and never been hit or run off the road.......yes plenty of close calls, but never run of the road or as close calls as i have experienced on Perth PSP's . And yes tend to be Sunday mornings which i now just give a big miss and stick to the roads.

foz

Postby foz » Fri May 13, 2016 5:54 pm

I did a loop around the river this morning, decided to give cycleway a go.( so I can listen to music, don't do it on road) not one problem.
I always say hello, about 75% said it back..still it was 8am...
You are right about cycleways on weekends Nashie, will give them a big miss..also.

Thanks for the replies