Are we our own worst enemies?

gazman

Are we our own worst enemies?

Postby gazman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:38 pm

This morning about 10am I was riding between the Narrows Bridge and the Brewery. Workmen were repairing the cracks in the path. There were two workers stationed on each side of the path repairs asking cyclists to dismount while passing the four guys on their hands and knees fixing the cracks.
Not one rider complied with the request. I wonder if paths will soon be closed completely to enable future work to be done.
I felt sorry for the workers one eye on the job and one eye trying to ensure they weren't clipped as the bikes went past....some at high speed.

NASHIE

Re: Are we our own worst enemies?

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm

gazman wrote:This morning about 10am I was riding between the Narrows Bridge and the Brewery. Workmen were repairing the cracks in the path. There were two workers stationed on each side of the path repairs asking cyclists to dismount while passing the four guys on their hands and knees fixing the cracks.
Not one rider complied with the request. I wonder if paths will soon be closed completely to enable future work to be done.
I felt sorry for the workers one eye on the job and one eye trying to ensure they weren't clipped as the bikes went past....some at high speed.
Unfortunately the same morons that speed in there cars, trucks, buses etc etc through 40k work zones...........ride bikes

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 am

In a car, I always follow the signs.

But I've been very naughty recently.
There's a "cyclists dismount" sign at the detour outside Burswood which I have always ignored! :)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 am

I reckon that if it is dangerous to workers I would dismount. The temptation to ride through I would say is in the cyclists mind,"I will go through slowly, plenty of room" For a 20 second delay. Most cyclist would be ok but what if you had a clip-stack right there and fell onto a worker?
Respect the sign and respect the worker. We may now have 4 workers that dislike cyclists. But I am betting with more of a dislike than hatred if they were not feeling threatened.

The beauty of a situation like this is if a cop saw you do it you would cop a fine doing 5 kph and ignoring a sign, Probably they would call it dangerous riding.

Having been through more than I can say in cycle incidents, I have to say that my worst enemies in cycling has to be the Victorian police force and the absolute zero of concern they give to cyclists. I know if i fell over in front of a cop car I would get charged with littering. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:54 am

Colleague showed me a post from a friend of his on Facebook. Council rangers were pinging people riding over the East Perth pedestrian bridge around 7am.

To be honest, I've never dismounted on that bridge, but it's always been when it's empty or maybe 1-2 walkers. If it's busy I'll go around the river inlet.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:34 am

dmwill wrote:Colleague showed me a post from a friend of his on Facebook. Council rangers were pinging people riding over the East Perth pedestrian bridge around 7am.

To be honest, I've never dismounted on that bridge, but it's always been when it's empty or maybe 1-2 walkers. If it's busy I'll go around the river inlet.
Lisa must have had a whinge.
I always ride over it when I go that way - a small protest against the stupidity of City of Perth banning cyclists on what was built as a shared path bridge.
When is CoP going to allow bicycles on it again? It has been repeatedly deferred and the latest plan says it will happen this financial year.

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:33 pm

방구 똥 wrote:In a car, I always follow the signs.

There's a "cyclists dismount" sign at the detour outside Burswood which I have always ignored! :)
:roll: me too... it is a yellow advisory sign and i choose not to take the advice... specially when it is wider than the psp :D
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:34 pm

방구 똥 wrote:In a car, I always follow the signs.

:roll: me too... it is a yellow advisory sign and i choose not to take the advice... specially when the path
is wider than the normal psp :D
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"