riders choice bike service

SenatorDC

riders choice bike service

Postby SenatorDC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:39 pm

I've ridden about 6000-7000km on my bike and am wondering whether it's worth treating my bike to a $299 service

https://riderschoice.com.au/bicycle-service-centre/

line items copied below. Most of the items are pretty simple, however I like the idea the bike getting the strip, clean, lube and rebuild. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting a complete bike tear down and rebuild?

Adjust Brakes
Adjust Gears
Tighten All Parts and Accessories
Check Drive Train and Brakes for Wear
Check Wheels and Tyres for Wear
Inflate Tyres
Full Clean and Degrease of Frame / Components
Check / Adjust Bottom Bracket, Head Set and Wheel Hubs
Check / Align Hanger
Minor Wheel Tru
Lube Chain and Components
Complete Strip and Rebuild
Remove, Clean and Regrease Headset, Bottom Bracket, Wheel Bearings and Pulley Wheels
Remove, Clean and Lube cables
Full Frame Strip Down
Rebuild Brakes Calipers, Shifters, Derailleurs
Clean Inside of Frame
Facing of Head Set and Bottom Bracket

HappyHumber

Re: riders choice bike service

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 am

It all comes back to the individuals available time & inclination to learn and do it themselves.

but a lot of those points could honestly be avoided with small cursory checks & cleans yourself; even without specialty tools.

Sure it's a more holistic approach if things have been neglected for the Ks the bike has done; but if it puts your mind at rest. Go for it.

the list get increasingly daft towards the end, I think;
  • Rebuilding calipers & derailleurs & shifters - unless there's a problem WHY? I bet they merely clean & lube them unless they're fixing an explicit problem.
  • Clean inside of frame - WHY? Unless it's a brand new build they're doing for you with seperately sourced components on a frame. Also arguable depending on the frame material.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

captain peacock

Postby captain peacock » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 am

no, if your bike is running okay i can't see why you would bother.

really, after only 6-7000kms, i can't see too many issues (new chain maybe) your paying for them to clean your bike.

SenatorDC

Postby SenatorDC » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:42 pm

thanks for the points....i think i might apply some elbow grease and consider a new chain

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Agree with the others, although looking at their website the standard service and some of the individual services like the BB and headset etc are good valve if you don't have the proper tools or experience in rebuilding bikes. Anyone can strip and rebuild a bike but setting it up correctly does take a bit of experience. A lot of the small check and adjusts should be made daily/weekly