Commute: Yokine to West Perth

Johnphillips

Commute: Yokine to West Perth

Postby Johnphillips » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi All,

I'm moving to Yokine from Wembley in the next couple of weeks and am trying to work out the best way to commute into West Perth by bike. I'll be located close to Yokine Reserve.

I'd prefer to avoid busy roads if at all possible, but have no issue with using quieter roads. Prefer to avoid footpaths, shared paths are fine.

Thanks,

John.

tallywhacker

Re: Commute: Yokine to West Perth

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:36 am

try this: homer st, right at walter road, left at central ave, right at railway parade, top of the hill up on the path over the new bridge and onto the psp. Will take you through the city to west perth.
Nearly no traffic at 6am.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Depending on whereabouts in Yokine you are, use Hector or McDonald Streets to cross Wanneroo Road, then use Osborne St, Shakespeare St, Bourke St (west), Mitchell Freeway PSP then Loftus St into West Perth.

Alternatively, you can use Bradford St to cross Alexander Drive, then Learoyd St/Norfolk St/Lake St (or Palmerston) into Northbridge, then across the railway to Perth Arena.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:40 pm

I live not too far away - just a little north-west of you.

I work my way down Yokine following local roads running parallel to Wanneroo Road, cross Wanneroo Rd over the pedestrian bridge at Lawley St into Tuart Hill.

I then take Banksia St through Joondanna, and Fairfield St through Mount Hawthorn. This gets you out onto Scarborough Beach Road near the Paddo. Get onto Oxford Street through Leederville from there. The rest should be easy.

Note that Banksia Street has a bit of a climb heading back home...the big speed bumps will twist the knife a little, looking back over the city in the evening is awesome though.

Takes me about 30 mins to get to the end of Oxford Street near the freeway from home, avg speed in the mid 20's.

This should give you an idea (let me know if it's private): https://www.strava.com/activities/627266164

Johnphillips

Postby Johnphillips » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm

That's excellent, thanks all.

I'll give the different routes a go and see which works out best. I'm liking Central ave onto Railway Pde as it seems strait forward.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:56 pm

try central ave, bike path at Inglewood Oval to Fourth Ave, straight to bike path.
Or Central ave then over the seventh ave bridge.