Driverless Bus Trial on South Perth Esplanade

Scott_C

Driverless Bus Trial on South Perth Esplanade

Postby Scott_C » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:47 pm

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/rac-d ... r5k9o.html
Australia's first fully driverless and electric shuttle bus has hit the streets of South Perth.

The RAC Intellibus will carry passengers and interact with traffic, parked cars, cyclists and pedestrians as it travels along South Perth Esplanade between the Old Mill near the Narrows Bridge and Sir James Mitchell Park.
Something to keep an eye out for if you ride that section on the road. I don't expect many problems from the bus itself but wouldn't be surprised to find vehicles overtaking the bus without giving way to on-coming cyclists riding the opposite way.

Cycleops70

Re: Driverless Bus Trial on South Perth Esplanade

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Thought I'd check it out to see if I could take my 4 year old on it. However under 7s aren't allowed as there "aren't suitable seat belts" Say What? It only does 40Kph & there are no seat belts on normal busses anyway.

Jeez, they'll want you to wear a helmet next!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:Thought I'd check it out to see if I could take my 4 year old on it. However under 7s aren't allowed as there "aren't suitable seat belts" Say What? It only does 40Kph & there are no seat belts on normal busses anyway.

Jeez, they'll want you to wear a helmet next!
Sounds like they are expecting plenty of panic stops from the bus. Adults can look after themselves as they hurtle towards the windscreen, but at least someone 'thought of all the kiddies'
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm

I wonder if pedestrians jumping in front of it to make it panic stop for a prank will become a thing.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:36 pm

mikedufty wrote:I wonder if pedestrians jumping in front of it to make it panic stop for a prank will become a thing.
hahahahah..... makes me want to try.... jumping infront of a bus