Reid Highway PSP? Beechboro to Freeway

Killswitch

Reid Highway PSP? Beechboro to Freeway

Postby Killswitch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

With all the roadworks on Reid HWY and parts of the new PSP going in, how does it flow now? I asked the same question about 2 years ago now, but I think it may have improved a fair bit.

Not sure how up to date the Transport Maps are:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... g_Swan.pdf

I am starting a new Job in Ozzy Park, so thought this would be the best Route. Reid Hwy to Freeway, head down freeway towards CBD and pull off at Powis towards Herdsman.

Does anyone cycle this route? Is it PSP the entire length now, and if not, how clean is the shoulder of Reid Highway kept?

Cheers,

KS

jaseyjase

Re: Reid Highway PSP? Beechboro to Freeway

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Quick look at google maps shows

Path from Mitchell FWY to Waneroo Rd
Wanneroo Rd to Mirrabooka Ave its shoulder (or a backstreet that runs parallel)
Mirrabooka Ave to Camboon Rd theres a pat, but seems to end abruptly at Camboon
from Camboon you can take Benara.

Havnt ridden it, was just having a quick glance at google earth!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Beechboro to Malaga Dr: Use the shoulder, or go via Blackboy Way/Sewell Court/Matthews Close/Malaga Dr

Malaga Drive to Camboon Rd: Brand new PSP on southern side of highway
Camboon Rd to Mirrabooka Ave: Older PSP on southern side, crossing to north side via Northwood Drive. Traffic light crossings at Alexander and Mirrabooka (Main Roads cheaped out on the PSP quality here!)

Mirrabooka to Wanneroo: Either use the shoulder, or use the parallel back street on the northern side
Wanneroo to Mitchell Fwy: PSP on northern side with traffic light crossings

if you find you are comfortable riding on the shoulder, it may not be worth diverting to the path until you get to Erindale Road or Balcatta Road as the shoulder quality is actually pretty good on the new bits around Malaga-Alexander-Mirrabooka interchanges.

Google Maps isn't much use for directions as the new bits of PSP east of Mirrabooka Ave don't seem to be on there yet.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Killswitch wrote: how clean is the shoulder of Reid Highway kept?
Highly variable: I've ridden it a few times from the freeway to the river (on a Sunday morning) and the main problem is lost loads - 99% of the route is fine but occasionally you find you're riding through bits of broken pallet (or other crap) for fifty meters or so. The "bogan glitter" factor is no worse there than anywhere else.

The cleanliness suggests a fair bit of use of the shoulder by motor vehicles. I've not used the road in peak hour so can't comment further.
Last edited by Thoglette on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:58 pm

When you get to Osborne Park, using King Edward Road to get to Jon Sanders Drive might be a better option than following the PSP all the way to Powis Street - the section from Hutton Street to Glendalough Station is pretty awful.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks guys. I just had a play in Google Maps. It might actually be easier to ride Midland PSP, via Perth then up the Freeway North PSP. Its similar km.

https://goo.gl/maps/XxUCUhRDbr72

Whats your thoughts on that?

dampier

Postby dampier » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:37 pm

yes take the midland route, better surfaces and less stoppages.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Killswitch wrote:Thanks guys. I just had a play in Google Maps. It might actually be easier to ride Midland PSP, via Perth then up the Freeway North PSP. Its similar km.

Seems reasonable. At least now you have options - variety is the spice of life after all :)

here's my attempt to get Gmaps to show the Reid route:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Danu ... 119603!3e1
Unfortunately there are a few bits of PSP missing on Gmaps, hence the diversion at Gwelup

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:38 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Thanks guys. I just had a play in Google Maps. It might actually be easier to ride Midland PSP, via Perth then up the Freeway North PSP. Its similar km.

Seems reasonable. At least now you have options - variety is the spice of life after all :)

here's my attempt to get Gmaps to show the Reid route:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Danu ... 119603!3e1
Unfortunately there are a few bits of PSP missing on Gmaps, hence the diversion at Gwelup
Thanks for mapping it. I might give it a crack.

Yes I think the way through town is the way to go then. The Midland PSP has been my commute for years to the CBD. Looks like I will just continue with that and extend it to Ozzy Park.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Killswitch wrote:Yes I think the way through town is the way to go then. The Midland PSP has been my commute for years to the CBD. Looks like I will just continue with that and extend it to Ozzy Park.
Consider using Raglan Rd and (via Leake and View) Bourke St as short cuts to avoid the CBD. Don't know the best path from the Midland PSP to Raglan (or similar) but you might need to cross the railway between 2nd and 3rd
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Yes I think the way through town is the way to go then. The Midland PSP has been my commute for years to the CBD. Looks like I will just continue with that and extend it to Ozzy Park.
Consider using Raglan Rd and (via Leake and View) Bourke St as short cuts to avoid the CBD. Don't know the best path from the Midland PSP to Raglan (or similar) but you might need to cross the railway between 2nd and 3rd
Cheers for the tip, I try the stay off the roads as much as possible during commuting these days. Was cut off in a back street and went down pretty hard last winter. Not that the PSP is much safer with joggers wearing headphones etc. Will leave it there before it becomes a rant. :P