bicycle messenger

giantdefy

bicycle messenger

Postby giantdefy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:22 am

hi i was wondering how it might be possible to become a bicycle messenger in perth? I can't seem to find any names of firms that might be looking for people.

Mububban

Re: bicycle messenger

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am

giantdefy wrote:hi i was wondering how it might be possible to become a bicycle messenger in perth? I can't seem to find any names of firms that might be looking for people.
Visit the CBD and ask them as you see them working?

I think my mate used to work for Fasta Couriers years ago.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 am

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Which company are the food delivery riders with these backpacks that have popped up everywhere lately ? (CBD, Northbridge, Mt Lawley etc)

I have seen Deliveroo with their different branded backpack. But between the lot of them they seem to be the latest scourge on our inner city roads. Riding at night without lights, riding without helmets, running red lights and stop signs, barreling down busy footpaths with no regard for pedestrians, using their mobile phone apps while riding.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:23 pm

nachoman wrote:Which company are the food delivery riders with these backpacks that have popped up everywhere lately ? (CBD, Northbridge, Mt Lawley etc)

I have seen Deliveroo with their different branded backpack. But between the lot of them they seem to be the latest scourge on our inner city roads. Riding at night without lights, riding without helmets, running red lights and stop signs, barreling down busy footpaths with no regard for pedestrians, using their mobile phone apps while riding.
Might be UBEReats

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:24 pm

nachoman wrote: I have seen Deliveroo with their different branded backpack. But between the lot of them they seem to be the latest scourge on our inner city roads. Riding at night without lights, riding without helmets, running red lights and stop signs, barreling down busy footpaths with no regard for pedestrians, using their mobile phone apps while riding.
I've noticed that too.

Bit like what UberX has become. Was a quality service when it started (and still is at times), but it seems any average person with limited social skills and the most basic povo-pack car can be an Uber driver now.

Same goes for the Uber bicycle couriers/ Traditionally bike couriers pretty experienced cyclists who ride decent bikes (even if they look rough, they were well maintained and had good parts). Now you see some guys where their cycling background is commuting to tafe/uni/shops rolling around on rusted out department shop bikes.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:03 pm

dmwill wrote:
nachoman wrote: I have seen Deliveroo with their different branded backpack. But between the lot of them they seem to be the latest scourge on our inner city roads. Riding at night without lights, riding without helmets, running red lights and stop signs, barreling down busy footpaths with no regard for pedestrians, using their mobile phone apps while riding.
I've noticed that too.

Bit like what UberX has become. Was a quality service when it started (and still is at times), but it seems any average person with limited social skills and the most basic povo-pack car can be an Uber driver now.

Same goes for the Uber bicycle couriers/ Traditionally bike couriers pretty experienced cyclists who ride decent bikes (even if they look rough, they were well maintained and had good parts). Now you see some guys where their cycling background is commuting to tafe/uni/shops rolling around on rusted out department shop bikes.
Whether your food gets delivered on a department shop bike or a rough looking well maintained bike with good parts, you get your food. Or perhaps we should be concerned for the delivery person choosing to risk their lives by not wearing helmets while running red lights at night without bike lights to bring us our food.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm

The onboarding process of Deliveroo and UberEATS are very different.
Deliveroo conducts an initial phone interview, then gives an intake presentation, answers questions, checks bikes, and even conducts a short on-road riding test. The kit is very impressive with plenty of reflective elements on clothes and box.
Compare that with Uber, they just run through the delivery guide, answer any questions, the delivery box is average, that's it.
Deliveroo has a reasonable level of selection criteria, while Uber's level is practically zero.
I assume they will subsequently vet their riders through customer feedback, but that does nothing to address behavior on the road.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 pm

The net positive of these bicycle delivery peoples is a lot more cyclists on the road around the inner city which can only be a good thing. However, the lack of lights at night is a concern - I have noticed this specifically with the dominos delivery riders as they wear black and ride black bikes

Thoglette

Bike Ninja

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:50 pm

wellington_street wrote: However, the lack of lights at night is a concern - I have noticed this specifically with the dominos delivery riders as they wear black and ride black bikes
In breach of the law
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Re: Bike Ninja

Postby wellington_street » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Thoglette wrote:
wellington_street wrote: However, the lack of lights at night is a concern - I have noticed this specifically with the dominos delivery riders as they wear black and ride black bikes
In breach of the law
Given they are riding company-branded bicycles (and I imagined company-owned too) it could be a pretty big Health & Safety breach if a rider was to be involved in an incident at night.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi,

Which companies do parcel / letter couriering rather than food? Is it just Fast as mentioned at the top or are there others?

trailgumby

Re: Bike Ninja

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
In breach of the law
Given they are riding company-branded bicycles (and I imagined company-owned too) it could be a pretty big Health & Safety breach if a rider was to be involved in an incident at night.
They no doubt use a sham independent contractor structure set p by an "ethically flexible" lawyer.

It will take legal action by the Fair Work Ombudsman or similar to unwind it.

jlh

Postby jlh » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:23 am

Wixxy wrote:Hi,

Which companies do parcel / letter couriering rather than food? Is it just Fast as mentioned at the top or are there others?
I have seen Toll bike couriers around west perth and the rest of the city

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for that.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Re Dominos guys.
Saw my first a day or two ago here in Albany.
Black bike, dressed in black and no lights.
It was near dark and he was riding on the footpath/bikepath
but he would have had to be on the road for some of it including the highway.

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Interesting coverage on ABC Radio National.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... my/8062344

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 pm

John Lewis wrote:Re Dominos guys.
Did he ride from Perth??

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:31 pm

방구 똥 wrote:
John Lewis wrote:Re Dominos guys.
Did he ride from Perth??
No I don't think so.
Came from local Dominos I'd say unless he was well and truly lost. :D

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

My brother sighted one of these bicycle food delivery guys riding through the Northbridge Tunnel saturday evening approx 18:45. Apparently he got half way through before deciding it wasn't a good idea and then caused a bit of chaos trying to get out.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Grev wrote:Interesting coverage on ABC Radio National.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... my/8062344
A sample
Keelia Fitzpatrick wrote:So, like Uber, the riders are required to get an ABN in order to work for the company, and they are essentially running their own business. So they are not employees, they are not covered by the Fair Work Act.
... I haven't met a single rider who describes their initial engagement as a rider with a company as a negotiation. They get handed a contract...they need to let the company know weeks in advance what their availability is, and the shifts are then allocated to riders and the company is responsible for building that roster...
Anyone surprised?
There's also plenty in there describing on-going misbehaviour by Uber (to put it politely)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ