PSP - East Perth

matthecat

PSP - East Perth

Postby matthecat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:17 am

Hi all,
Just a heads up to those who might occasionally use the PSP between East Perth & Midland.
Over the weekend a new entry/exit was created just North of where the overpass bridge meets the path at East Perth station.
It hasn't been well constructed with quite a dip from path to road to path if you're not expecting it.
To their credit they have put up signs warning of it but in the dark you could come unstuck.
Not sure if it's permanent or a temporary entry/exit.
Regards

Scott_C

Re: PSP - East Perth

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:46 pm

According to the PTA it is a temporary entry for construction vehicles to work on the East Perth Station upgrade. The upgrade works also include the demolition of the existing ramp in exchange for steps and lifts.

More info can be found here.

Ironically, one of the main reasons for the station upgrade is to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act and, if your description of the temporary entrance is correct, they just wrecked a DDA compliant facility to facilitate the construction.

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Steps & lifts.
They did the same when they renovated the Bassendean station.
Lifts regularly broken meaning no easy access to anyone in a wheelchair, with a pram or walking frame etc.
My kids regularly ride to school and have to drag their bikes up the stairs.

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 pm

+1 for the crossing being a hazard
Especially for those with the benefit of the morning easterly or afternoon seabreeze
You will need to slow down to avoid taking off on the ramps back up to the path level
For me going the opposite way, not such a problem

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 pm

FYI for the next week they are fitting out a concourse module in the West Parade carpark at East Perth station so there will be a number of material deliveries through the temporary carpark access that will briefly block the path.

There should be traffic management in place but if you encounter any problems make a complaint and it should be dealt with for future deliveries.

The contact number/email can be found here: http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/projects/curre ... on-upgrade

The ramp/footbridge at the station will be closed from 8:30am Friday 30th June to 6am Sunday 2nd July so anyone who usually crosses the railway there will need to detour via the underpass alongside the GFF.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm

In preparation for the Midland Line Shutdown from the 21st to 25th of September (which includes the entire business day on Friday the 22nd of September) there will be additional parking bay closures and a number of significant material deliveries across the PSP and into the East Parade carpark starting next week.

Traffic Management should be in place for any deliveries but be aware of construction and delivery vehicles moving across the PSP and be prepared to stop. Materials being delivered include limestone and gravel (track ballast) so watch out for any spillage that might affect the path.

The additional closed bays may also result in the carpark being overfull in the morning and might result in annoyed drivers leaving the carpark during morning peak without finding a carpark so keep a watch out for passenger vehicles too. The entrance/exit from the East Parade carpark is already the most accident prone point on the Perth PSP's and these additional complications don't help things.

Scott_C

East Perth Station Ramp Permanent Closure, no temporary replacement

Postby Scott_C » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:25 pm

The ramp at East Perth Station will be permanently closed from the evening of the 21st of September with all future access to be via the currently incomplete new concourse with currently non-operational lifts. Temporary ramps will be provided on the Western side of the concourse and to the station platform but there will be no ramp on the PSP side (Eastern side) of the station, only stairs, until the lifts are commissioned some time in late-2017 (i.e. no ramp for crossing the railway line).

The new concourse will not open until the 26th of September with no pedestrian or cyclist access over the railway at East Perth during the shutdown between the 21st and 25th of September (including on the business day, Friday the 22nd) if you want to get to the western side of the railway from the rail replacement busses you need to walk from Claisebrook Stn (up Claisebrook Rd) or Mt Lawley Stn (cross at the Mt Lawley Footbridge and walk down Railway Parade/West Parade, good luck crossing Lord St).

Once the new concourse opens, if you cross the railway here you will either need to manage your bike up the stairs from the PSP and then take a ramp down or cross the line elsewhere (PSP alongside the Graham Farmer Freeway, Lord St underpass or Mt Lawley Station footbridge, none of which are particularly good options for getting into the area to the west of East Perth station).

Blade Runner

Postby Blade Runner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:04 pm

hello team, just a word of caution while there are construction type activities going on in that area...

Last Monday week, I entered the tunnel under east parade with the intension of turning right onto the path that passes the East Perth station and onto Whatley.

Given that at times there are cyclists entering the tunnel from the city side I slowed and after seeing the path was clear turned right. Being mindful that its a partially blind corner I deliberately went wide and to my surprise found a main roads utility headed straight for me in the left lane!

The driver swung to his left but my shoulder was hit by the tail gate latch sending me barrel rolling ending up on my back holding the bike above me by the bars and one shoe still clipped in.

Driver helped me up and after checking myself over turned to the bike which thankfully apart from throwing the chain didn't have a mark on it.

so apart from being a bit bruised and shaken I was extremely lucky, it could have been a whole lot worse....

and yes I took a heap of photo's, yes I got his name and details and finally yes I did report it with a detailed email and photo's to the above link.

the thing that concerned me most was no traffic management what so ever.... will keep you guys updated with the response when I receive one.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Blade Runner wrote:hello team, just a word of caution while there are construction type activities going on in that area...
Yeah, the Perth Stadium transport plan estimates that 8,600 people will walk from the new stadium to East Perth Station in order to get home on the Midland line via East Perth station or get to their car parked in East Perth.

Because stadium pedestrians are much more important than everyday cyclists the PSP between the Stadium and East Perth Station, including the paths under the Windan and Goongoonup Bridges, is finally getting upgraded by MRWA to current PSP standards so the stadium pedestrians can feel safe (mainly providing adequate lighting and raising and strengthening the handrails on the bridges).

Whilst any upgrade is good to have it is unfortunate that the worst section of the GFF PSP for lighting (at the bottom of the hill at Balbuk Way boat-ramp) is on the wrong side of the Stadium so it won't be getting the lighting upgrade it needs (it is the only part of my commute that needs lights to adequately see my path, the rest of my commute has adequate street lighting so I only need flashers so others can see me).

Regardless, be prepared for a bunch of poorly planned closures and detours over the next few months as they rush to get the PSP upgrade done before the first stadium events starts and without the new stadium pedestrian bridge being available to detour on to (as originally planned the stadium bridge should have been finished first so that they could close the paths on both existing bridges for upgrade works and give cyclists a reasonable detour via the new bridge).

We also might get lighting on the Burswood RSP and the RSP behind Trinity College out of the Stadium project but these aren't clear yet.