Red Hill

Wixxy

Red Hill

Postby Wixxy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Am looking to do some camping overnighters locally or via train / bus (Bunbury).

So I've been getting some distance and heat practice in. Today I did Henley Brook to Red Hill and combined it with a visit to the tip to drop some waste chemicals and batteries stored in my pannier.

They didn't let me in :D past the gatehouse but took the stuff off me and offered to fill my water bottles up! Just in case your as silly as me, now you know........

On a serious note, I can't see why not - at least to the recyclables area to drop off small quantities.

cj7hawk

Re: Red Hill

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:42 am

Wixxy wrote:Am looking to do some camping overnighters locally or via train / bus (Bunbury).

So I've been getting some distance and heat practice in. Today I did Henley Brook to Red Hill and combined it with a visit to the tip to drop some waste chemicals and batteries stored in my pannier.

They didn't let me in :D past the gatehouse but took the stuff off me and offered to fill my water bottles up! Just in case your as silly as me, now you know........

On a serious note, I can't see why not - at least to the recyclables area to drop off small quantities.
They have a lot of large vehicles operating there - might be a little nervous about something as small as a bicycle.

But I am disappointed they didn't let you all the way in

David

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Can't see why you would want to ride down what are essentially haul roads past the gate, if they are happy to take the your items at the gate ?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:48 pm

NASHIE wrote:Can't see why you would want to ride down what are essentially haul roads past the gate, if they are happy to take the your items at the gate ?
Adventure... :)

After all, he had ridden all the way up there. That's one heck of a hill.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
NASHIE wrote:Can't see why you would want to ride down what are essentially haul roads past the gate, if they are happy to take the your items at the gate ?
Adventure... :)

After all, he had ridden all the way up there. That's one heck of a hill.
Fair call. Although can understand that having a bike on the roads probably doesnt meet their OHS.

If your chasing a bit of rubbish to look at, take a ride up to Brakovich salvage. Probably 10-15ks north of Midland on Great Northern Hwy. Not much OHS so im sure you can ride around. Even if your not chasing any salvage its worth a look, even the kids would enjoy it as there are plenty of ducks, peacocks, camals etc roaming around :wink:

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:59 am

Haha, I've never been in before so don't know what's past the gatehouse. So if it's too dangerous fairplay.
But if like me you use a bike for everything when you can't get there on public transport and the only place to take chemical waste is Red Hill. They do talk about getting more of us to do more than just recreational biking.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Wixxy wrote:Haha, I've never been in before so don't know what's past the gatehouse. So if it's too dangerous fairplay.
But if like me you use a bike for everything when you can't get there on public transport and the only place to take chemical waste is Red Hill. They do talk about getting more of us to do more than just recreational biking.
Most people just dump the chemical waste on the side of Toodyay Road after they realize Red Hill charge a dollar or two extra to process it. I'd hate to think what leaches into those roadside ditches and drains all the way back down into the wineries and orchards at the bottom of the hill.

It's just normal roads inside Red Hill too - even street signs, but they have a few big trucks and front end loaders and the like which they use to move rubbish around, and the roads are pretty narrow. The drivers probably wouldn't have any issues dodging a cyclist, but I guess it's just a precaution.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:07 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
Wixxy wrote:Haha, I've never been in before so don't know what's past the gatehouse. So if it's too dangerous fairplay.
Most people just dump the chemical waste on the side of Toodyay Road after they realize Red Hill charge a dollar or two extra to process it. I'd hate to think what leaches into those roadside ditches and drains all the way back down into the wineries and orchards at the bottom of the hill.

It's just normal roads inside Red Hill too - even street signs, but they have a few big trucks and front end loaders and the like which they use to move rubbish around, and the roads are pretty narrow. The drivers probably wouldn't have any issues dodging a cyclist, but I guess it's just a precaution.

Just to clarify, it's free for chemical waste up to the limit per trip of 20 kg or 20 litres. I agree with you it's a shame people are so lazy - most would only need one trip per year.

I got an email back from the site manager Tanya this week, you can access the site by bicycle (and moped which I asked as am due to take my test soon). Just a shame it's so far out - though there's talk of a transfer station being opened in Bullbrook which I think is closer.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 am

I rode through there by accident once when I got lost mountain biking in John Forrest NP. There's large fluorescent green lakes in there and it looks like a post holocaust scene. I even created a strava segment in there called Area 51 cause thats what it looked like. :)

https://www.strava.com/segments/8192216