Where are the riders? Perth

ColinOldnCranky

Where are the riders? Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Normally I see lots of riders returning around November, albeit maybe losing a few of them just before Christmas.

And, being the anal compulsive that I often count the riders I see from home to Canning Bridge via Mt Pleasant. (It kills the boredom, you try riding for a couple of hours at 10kph!)

Certainly seem to be a lot less than in every other year in the area I count. Instead of 80-100 the most I have seen in the last few weeks in that stretch is mid thirties.

I did notice today however a never ending stream of team group rides along South Perth. For the record all groups riding fast but sensibly.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

방구 똥

Re: Where are the riders? Perth

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

I only counted one unicyclist this morning.
At first I thought "Where is his bicycle?"
Then realised that it was a unicycle next to him

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:49 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: I did notice today however a never ending stream of team group rides along South Perth. For the record all groups riding fast but sensibly.
I also saw some small group rides happening this morning, who does those on a weekday morning? They didn't look retirement age. Is it the weekend already?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Heaps along the coast from Trigg to Fremantle, especially around Grant St where the PSP to the city joins.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 pm

time of day/week says a lot.

Maybe those 'presently between jobs' are no longer commuting at their regular previous rat-race hours?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:21 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Maybe those 'presently between jobs' are no longer commuting at their regular previous rat-race hours?
There's certainly a lot of that going around.

Interestingly the people who are coming into my building are doing it later. Numbers are down, I presume due to leave/retrenchment.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 am

Bit warm lately - I haven't ridden the paths enough to notice any real difference, but I don't recall a drop off - mind you, it could halve and I wouldn't notice. Numbers in Perth seems about the same though.

I wonder if it is something like the economy - You'd think it might push a few more to cycle?

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am

HappyHumber wrote:time of day/week says a lot.

Maybe those 'presently between jobs' are no longer commuting at their regular previous rat-race hours?
+3. I also take the bus some days, and they are definitely quieter as well. Numbers in the CBD must be well down.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 am

Numbers back up again today to what I'd normally expect on a Tuesday. Can't think what is so special today compared to last Tuesday. Go figure.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:06 am

Good to see you out there yesterday Col.

I think you'd be well placed to judge numbers. I've not noticed any particular trends, other than numbers were generally down during spring. I put this down to the continued poor weather.

I did notice a massive spike on a fine Sunday a few weeks back. All of a sudden, everyone with a bike had dusted them off and headed out. It was an explosion of riders from social to super serious. Since then, it has settled back down.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 am

I haven't seen you since your heat attack Colin. Used to see you most days when you were working full time. there are plenty of riders out there as evidenced by the morning groups leaving the Narrows. These numbers have really spiked in the last few weeks. Up until this month it has possibly been too cold for some?

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:41 pm

I managed to ride from Canning Bridge at about five pm this evening along the Fwy to the Kenwick Link on the Roe Hwy and saw three on-coming riders and was passed by one. Deserted was the word that sprung to mind. But I suspect this week its holidays - teachers and many school support staff finished for the year last week. That's lots of people no longer commuting to work.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 am

chuckchunder wrote:I managed to ride from Canning Bridge at about five pm this evening along the Fwy to the Kenwick Link on the Roe Hwy and saw three on-coming riders and was passed by one. Deserted was the word that sprung to mind. But I suspect this week its holidays - teachers and many school support staff finished for the year last week. That's lots of people no longer commuting to work.
It was a tad warm at that time of day though (I rode home at that time too) - I'm certainly not an englishman and not a mad dog either (but a lot of local kids keep calling me that - not sure why). I instructed my colleagues that if I didn't roll up tomorrow to back-track my route and look for a techni-colour puddle with a beard :wink:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:42 pm

IncognitoMosquito wrote:I haven't seen you since your heat attack Colin. Used to see you most days when you were working full time. there are plenty of riders out there as evidenced by the morning groups leaving the Narrows. These numbers have really spiked in the last few weeks. Up until this month it has possibly been too cold for some?
I am still around but the hard and fast pattern of working has certainly dropped my riding a lot. Along with getting away a lot more these days (now a grey nomad, caravan, 4WD, the whole kit) my riding is about a third what it was and also in different locations. I'm trying to get back to some regularity but retirement is proving to be tougher than I thought. :mrgreen:

In the past years even in winter the numbers are still big along my route, and always pick up in November. I AM seeing a fair bit of group riding in the last week or two now.