The Best Way from X to Y Thread

roller

The Best Way from X to Y Thread

Postby roller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:23 pm

hey team. .

I'm looking to extend my morning commute. . . so I was hoping those familiar with the area could share with me what they feel the best way from the Shelley Bridge to the Roe PSP is.
inflammatory statement or idea

HappyHumber

Re: The Best Way from X to Y Thread

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Once you hit Roe - is your bearing then NE or SW? Just in terms of optimal point to pick it up on

Otherwise, most direct is Riverton Drv East --> Riley Rd --> Willeri Drv --> Jump on PSP just at the Collins Rd roundabout ~50 metres from Roe. Willeri is OK, being double lane - but Riley Rd has some painful little roundabouts for a rat run at peak times being on a pushie

I'm pretty au-fait with a lot of the backstreets and the various PSP entry points betwwen South St. & Brixton St along the Roe PSP, if you tell me me where you're headed (leaving the PSP again) I can perhaps make some better suggestions.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:24 pm

roller wrote:I'm looking to extend my morning commute. . . so I was hoping those familiar with the area could share with me what they feel the best way from the Shelley Bridge to the Roe PSP is.
If you are looking for quiet roads/off road then Fern Rd through to the Canning River Regional park is another option, particularly if you want to head NE on Roe Hwy. Willeri is definitely the straightest route through to the Hwy but it is a false flat with a kicker at the end that I have seen some less experienced cyclists have issues with, slowing below a speed I would be comfortable riding on a 60kph road at.

roller

Postby roller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Once you hit Roe - is your bearing then NE or SW? .
Aiming to head SW back to the freeway on the Roe PSP.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 pm

roller wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:Once you hit Roe - is your bearing then NE or SW? .
Aiming to head SW back to the freeway on the Roe PSP.
I actually did this approach for about 6 months, but coming from the Parkwood direction rather than Shelley, commuting to South Lake. Forgive my indulgence here; I've been fiddling with GPX files lately. Hopefully you're able to view OK, whatever your poison device.

This approach while necessitating a right hand turn off of Willeri avoids the hill that Scott_C alludes to, and the cluster-fluff the couple of intersections/roundabout just before the Roe onramp can present with car traffic. Still a slight climb along Porticullis, a little sharper but not as protracted as the Willeri climb, and def. not as bad as that near the Leeming Golf driving range on the PSP though

It's all personal preference really, with some bearing on the time of day too, I guess. I was doing it at shortly after 5am in the morning, so cars weren't really a problem either way. I'd be lucky if I passed one other cyclist between Willeri and the Freeway.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am

The other interesting place to look for route ideas is on Strava (if you use it). If you go into create a route then in the map options on the side you can enable "Global Heat Map" which brings up the places where people who use strava ride and a rough indication (thickness of the line) of how often. Obviously it probably relates more to recreational riding than commuting during higher traffic periods but it could be of assistance.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 pm

cheers for the input everyone. .

I had a look at Willeri on google maps yesterday, looks like a beautiful road and would be a great way to put in a big effort each morning, but it also looks like it could be a bit of a pre-freeway/highway dragstrip for cars too. .

might give it a go one morning and see how I feel about doing it regularly.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:51 pm

I head south on Willeri most weekday mornings between 7 and 8 am - not that it takes me an hour to complete. Fairly light traffic and in over 2 years going that way have yet to encounter issues with any motorist. Plenty of room for them to overtake with two lanes all the way and good sight lines. The traffic is usually pretty light also until you get to the Collins Road roundabout. The kicker at the south end is there but nothing too onerous and drivers can easily see you from well back. I normally try to slip onto the bike path at the Vellgrove Ave junction but if cars are coming from the left I cut in just before the Collins Road roundabout (about 20m before roundabout).