Runner hit by cyclist on bike path along Mounts Bay Road

Parker

Runner hit by cyclist on bike path along Mounts Bay Road

Postby Parker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi

I believe a runner was hit by a cyclists on the bike path along Mounts Bay Road between the brewery and the University (near one of the car parks) does anyone know anything?

Police were in attendance this morning.

Cheers
Rowena

Parker

Re: Runner hit by cyclist on bike path along Mounts Bay Road

Postby Parker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Oh and I must have been going past at about 7:10am.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Not a good situation for either party. I know one of the involved and won't comment on the incident. Was a reminder for me to renew my membership with BWA to get some third party insurance having dropped my other insurance when I figured it was costing more than the bike was worth.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Did the runner throw the bike into the river?

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:49 pm

방구 똥 wrote:Did the runner throw the bike into the river?
from what was relayed to me it is my understanding that the runner wasn't able to do anything after the collision except be put into an ambulance
inflammatory statement or idea

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm

roller wrote:
방구 똥 wrote:Did the runner throw the bike into the river?
from what was relayed to me it is my understanding that the runner wasn't able to do anything after the collision except be put into an ambulance
Ooooh that sounds serious!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 pm

It is terrible to hit some one no matter the circumstances. Hope any injured recover quickly.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:53 am

Hmm

Doesn't surprise me that this occured: As a runner I've almost been taken out along that section of path on multiple occasions by cyclists who aren't using their bells.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 am

It is a prime area for separated paths because with a thumping SW tailwind even inexperienced cyclists can maintain 35 to 40kph which is way too fast to be mixing it with pedestrians and the adjacent road environment is too hostile for individual cyclists to safely ride on the road.

Unfortunately, until we do get separated paths, some cyclists are going to have to show more self control when mixing up with pedestrians.

XIX

Postby XIX » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:53 am

I have to say that stretch is particularly bad, windy with people coming on and off the path, even had a moron cyclist pull out to overtake a group of about 6 slower cyclists and almost take me out coming the other way, had one lady who had her dog laid flat in the shade across the path, but because it was so sunny couldnt even see it until it was almost too late.

I am surprised there are not more accidents on this stretch

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:58 pm

argybargy wrote: As a runner I've almost been taken out along that section of path on multiple occasions by cyclists who aren't using their bells.
How so?

As a runner it's a rare day when bell use is relevant to me. But I tend to run in a straight line parallel to the path. When I don't (e.g. passing someone or exiting right) I give an indication of intent. Likewise I don't have a problem with runners when I'm riding - the brownian motion mostly comes from peds.

Yes there are clowns who pass too closely or riding too fast for the conditions (hello "sporting" riders at West Perth station) . And the path near The Brewery and near Hackett drive are examples of "designed to fail" infrastructure. :(
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Couple of comments here are puzzling because we don't know how the collision occurred.

"Unfortunately, until we do get separated paths, some cyclists are going to have to show more self control when mixing up with pedestrians."

A broad statement that can apply to all path users. I've witnessed bad behaviour from all path users over many years.

"As a runner I've almost been taken out along that section of path on multiple occasions by cyclists who aren't using their bells."

If you are a runner using a shared path keeping to the left and looking behind before deviating why should a bell be rung? If you do the right thing a bell is rarely needed. I never use one, either calling out, stopping, slowing down or leaving the path. I never trust joggers, particularly those with ear phones, small children, dogs not on leashes or mothers with prams.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Thoglette wrote: But I tend to run in a straight line parallel to the path.
exactly that, when I'm not travelling in a straight line.
I run on dual use pathways a lot, and with the mixed quality of these paths I often take the option to move myself sideways to avoid obstacles. I don't indicate that I'm going to because quite frankly I'm still on the path and should have to indicate that I'm moving to the side slightly. I do indicate when I am moving off the path, such as at an intersection, but thats the only time I feel that I should be.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Uncle Just wrote: If you are a runner using a shared path keeping to the left and looking behind before deviating why should a bell be rung? If you do the right thing a bell is rarely needed. I never use one, either calling out, stopping, slowing down or leaving the path. I never trust joggers, particularly those with ear phones, small children, dogs not on leashes or mothers with prams.
deviating from what?
a straight line,

how often do you indicate when on a bike and you're deviating from a straight line? Yes I understand hand signals... but do you only use them when you know someone is behind you?
Last edited by argybargy on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Hopefully all parties involved are doing ok.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Scott_C wrote:It is a prime area for separated paths because with a thumping SW tailwind even inexperienced cyclists can maintain 35 to 40kph which is way too fast to be mixing it with pedestrians and the adjacent road environment is too hostile for individual cyclists to safely ride on the road.

Unfortunately, until we do get separated paths, some cyclists are going to have to show more self control when mixing up with pedestrians.
How do we get a separated path here? Reduce Mounts Bay Road to one lane? I'm sure Main Roads would be only too pleased to do that; with massive support from the western suburbs residents!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:09 pm

argybargy wrote:
Uncle Just wrote: If you are a runner using a shared path keeping to the left and looking behind before deviating why should a bell be rung? If you do the right thing a bell is rarely needed. I never use one, either calling out, stopping, slowing down or leaving the path. I never trust joggers, particularly those with ear phones, small children, dogs not on leashes or mothers with prams.
deviating from what?
a straight line,

how often do you indicate when on a bike and you're deviating from a straight line? Yes I understand hand signals... but do you only use them when you know someone is behind you?

When you drive a car, you look in your mirrors and indicate when changing lanes. IMO, similar logic should be applied on any kind of path. Does not matter if you are a runner, walker, cyclist or one of those fools pretending to ski. Look over your shoulder before you deviate from a straight line and if necessary make some kind of gesture to indicate you are turning.

Unfortunately given how many people fail the basics at driving, we have no hope on the paths.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Sinner wrote:
Scott_C wrote:It is a prime area for separated paths because with a thumping SW tailwind even inexperienced cyclists can maintain 35 to 40kph which is way too fast to be mixing it with pedestrians and the adjacent road environment is too hostile for individual cyclists to safely ride on the road.

How do we get a separated path here? Reduce Mounts Bay Road to one lane? I'm sure Main Roads would be only too pleased to do that; with massive support from the western suburbs residents!
The same way as it is built going past the back of the brewery with the pedestrian only path in grey parallel to the shared path (which should now become a bike path):
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.965 ... a=!3m1!1e3

You make the path 1.5m wider and allocate the northern most 1.5m to pedestrians. There are a couple of pinch points where you would need to build out the retaining wall on the riverside in order to make it happen but nothing that you couldn't engineer around if you had the motivation. The whole area is artificial riverbank/planted flora so there shouldn't be any concerns about the environmental value.

If you wanted to cheap out on it you could build the separated path for 80-90% of the distance where there aren't pinch points today and just leave the shared path in place where it would be 'hard' to build a separated path, it would still vastly reduce the conflict points between fast cyclists and pedestrians.

If you wanted to go the other way you could also build it as a boardwalk/bridge structure actually located in the river, it would be comparable in length to the proposed 3-points bridge in the Perth @3.5M Transport Plan but without the need for the additional height. Something like the Cykelslangen but with a Wagyl theme.

The reality is that if you want to continue to promote cycle commuting you are going to have to build the cycling equivalent of freeways and that means separated paths on the main entries to the CBD.

I mean, we spent $220M (capital) on a railway extension to Butler that is used by 2000 people/weekday but cycling infrastructure supporting 10k+ cyclists a day gets less than $20M/year. If cycling was funded proportionally to the rate that other transport infrastructure is we could have this sort of premium cycling infrastructure instead of narrow minded thinking that increasing space for cycling necessitates taking space away from other transport methods.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Scott_C wrote:I mean, we spent $220M (capital) on a railway extension to Butler that is used by 2000 people/weekday but cycling infrastructure supporting 10k+ cyclists a day gets less than $20M/year.
Main Roads has (at last estimate) about $1.6B of "maintenance" money which it spends on capital works each year (actual maintenance is around $250M which is why the roads are crap). That's before the "official" project money like Roe 8.

In all cases, build it and they will come. And we wonder why we have a car problem.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:25 am

IncognitoMosquito wrote:Not a good situation for either party. I know one of the involved and won't comment on the incident. Was a reminder for me to renew my membership with BWA to get some third party insurance having dropped my other insurance when I figured it was costing more than the bike was worth.
FYI Velosure 3rd Party is $65 and don't have to get the 2nd rate citizen policy from BWA compared to their eastern states members (not BWA but BV or BNSW etc. can't recall all their identities). Look up the PDS if you want to feel crap about being a WA cyclist as a member of a group based over East.

I did similar snap 3rd party join with Velosure, after a zombie pedestrian near miss on shared path mid last year. This after recreational riding mainly for 3yrs, after being a BWA member for a couple years prior when CBD commuting.

I'm now going to bump one of the insurance threads when I find the one that had the home and contents and good cycling policy in one. From memory there's a couple worth shortlisting.