Freeway Bike Hike Cancelled

wicksey

Freeway Bike Hike Cancelled

Postby wicksey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Asthma Foundation WA is grateful to the public for its ongoing support of the Freeway Bike Hike for Asthma.The Bike Hike has been an important fundraiser for the Asthma Foundation WA’s free community services and research program for the past 13 years.

Unfortunately, due to declining rider numbers a significant loss was made from the event last year and a loss will happen again in 2017. For Asthma Foundation WA’s new leadership team, the only responsible thing to do is cancel the event. Event partner Main Roads supports this decision as current rider numbers do not warrant the public inconvenience of closing the freeway from Joondalup to Kwinana.

We will be in touch very soon to issue refunds to everyone who has signed up for the 2017 event. If you have any questions, please get in touch with us at enquiries@freewaybikehike.com.au.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for understanding and we look forward to bringing you a new fundraising event in the future.

cj7hawk

Re: Freeway Bike Hike Cancelled

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:59 pm

It does make me wonder of this is all the fault of Karalee Katsambanis.

Remember this? http://www.smh.com.au/comment/karalee-k ... ko6ov.html

Even if she hasn't taken any action since, her actions at the time would have done immeasurable damage to the Athsma fundraising event.

:(

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm

While I don't think Karalee Katsambanis helped I think the problem lies more in the mining slowdown.

At the height of the boom the miners and the big consulting companies were fully covering the costs of their employees (and in some cases their employee's families) participating in events like this. Free entry and a free jersey was a good incentive to join in, with the additional benefit that ~10% of those who signed up and had the entry fee paid by work wouldn't turn up on the day, resulting in free money to the organisers.

As the boom came off the boil these sort of employee incentives were among the first things to be cutback.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Scott_C wrote:While I don't think Karalee Katsambanis helped I think the problem lies more in the mining slowdown.
Pretty good point. Used to see heaps of people sporting Chevron shirts/jerseys in the past, but I don't recall seeing many last year.

I've been doing it every year since it started in 2005, but was going to give this year a miss due to the cost involved and last year felt a little too dangerous (the longer ride with the fast group, too many inexperienced riders causing issues). I think the novelty of riding on the freeway has worn off too.

The early starting times probably put a fair few off as well...particularly for the family groups (though I know this was necessary in order to reopen the freeway at a suitable time and stop holding Perth to ransom).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Conspiracies aside; combined with the slow economy I think the event has simply had its day.

I think there's only so many times people can get enthused about paying a such a considerable entrance fee just for go for a long, straight ride. I can usually come up with something a lot more interesting elsewhere with friends for a fraction of the cost.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 am

HappyHumber wrote:Conspiracies aside; combined with the slow economy I think the event has simply had its day.

I think there's only so many times people can get enthused about paying a such a considerable entrance fee just for go for a long, straight ride. I can usually come up with something a lot more interesting elsewhere with friends for a fraction of the cost.
I think the value was that it drew in people who wouldn't normally cycle, including those who hadn't ridden a bike for more than a decade.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am

cj7hawk wrote:I think the value was that it drew in people who wouldn't normally cycle, including those who hadn't ridden a bike for more than a decade.
So much for these so called advocacy groups promoting 'every day cycling'. It's unsustainable hype & bluster which doesn't KEEP bums on bike seats. You cough up money for the event.... you ride, you might have fun on the day. Where's the incentive to get back on your bike the next day week or month? if you're a once a year rider - you're going laugh & say you need a year to recover. If money's tight... of course you're not going to particpate. Beyond purchasing a bike, going for a simple ride shouldn't be about having to dish out cash.

I think the event had a shelf life pure & simple. I did it 7 or 8 years ago. Once was enough.
--

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:38 pm

HappyHumber wrote: I think the event had a shelf life pure & simple. I did it 7 or 8 years ago. Once was enough.
Well put. Ditto.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Surprised there is no talk of the Luminocity event on this board. I did it on Saturday night along with about 250 other riders and really enjoyed it. 65km ride around the city and inner suburbs from midnight to dawn. It was a bit pricey at $99 but I paid the promo rate then work subsidised it a bit.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm

nachoman wrote:Surprised there is no talk of the Luminocity event on this board.
I don't think the format of the BNA forum is really dynamic & vibrant enough to be attracting much new & sexy traffic these days. It requires a little effort and nuance to participate and understand.

Unlike on the 'Big Boys' of social media where the likes of Luminocity is promoted slavishly to the short attention spans.

That is what works, I'm afraid.
--

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:44 am

HappyHumber wrote:
I don't think the format of the BNA forum is really dynamic & vibrant enough to be attracting much new & sexy traffic these days. It requires a little effort and nuance to participate and understand. .
This.

Forums in general are dead. It's all social media these days (which sucks when you're trying to search for something specific).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 am

[redacted]
Last edited by HappyHumber on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
--

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:06 am

dmwill wrote: It's all social media these days (which sucks when you're trying to search for something specific).
Along with the new fashion in webpage design - lots of images that float around and make WIZZING noises.

Ok, so I'm joking about the noises.

In all seriousness, Luminicity appeals to a completely different demographic to the FBH (just consider the start/finish times!)

In both cases they're a whole bunch of $$ for 60km or 70km of riding: measured that way any Audax makes a pile more sense. Hell, there were a pair of drunk blokes riding with torches around my place at 2am this morning - who needs Luminocsitiitityy, maaate? :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:19 am

Thoglette wrote:
dmwill wrote: It's all social media these days (which sucks when you're trying to search for something specific).
In all seriousness, Luminicity appeals to a completely different demographic to the FBH (just consider the start/finish times!)
Events that can capture the broader hype get the funding. The clever promoters follow the trends, sniff them out and exploit them. As the excitement over a few seasons drop off they pursue it elsewhere. Event participation always rises and falls where there's an entrance fee.

As event numbers drop off, the same promoting people in these sort of quasi-government-corporate funded organisations chase the new trend in events. Just like governments; nothing's really ongoing and earnest in terms of proper, every day utilitarian cycling.
--

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:30 pm

That's a shame but not a surprise. I took part in the inaugural event on my trusty old mountain bike. That was a challenge! But the price has put me off doing it again. Guess I wasn't the only one.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Thoglette wrote:In both cases they're a whole bunch of $$ for 60km or 70km of riding:
it's true, and this is why people might do the event once or twice, but eventually they'll look to do more exotic events if they have to pay $$ (as opposed to the straight ride up the freeway) or cheaper events, eg

I rode 50kms this morning and didn't have to pay anyone anything, this is the type of event that appeals to me.
inflammatory statement or idea