LBS to service a Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal Hub

Killswitch

LBS to service a Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal Hub

Postby Killswitch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi guys,

Can someone recommend a LBS who knows how to service a Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal Hub, the bike is a Charge Mixer 8. Willing to travel to find the right shop.

I have adjusted the cable correctly for alignment though 5 to 6 is jumping a little. Think it will need a pull down.

Cheers,

KS

fixed

Re: LBS to service a Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal Hub

Postby fixed » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Its my understanding Shimano hub gears are not serviceable. I have a Nexus 8 on my Giant City Pro, and all it has required is cable adjustment and spoke tightening. Good luck>
Edit: and from beyond the grave Sheldon Brown still delivers http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Seems possible, complex perhaps -
rebuild instructions
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8.shtml

Shimano Alfine 8-speed service
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGks14goow0

Quantum Bikes in North Perth might be able to help directly or refer elsewhere.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I know someone who can do it, buuut they are in Albany and yes they are on the forum. John Lewis
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Cheers guys. I will pass it onto a mate, the new owner of my Charge.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 am

Baalzamon wrote:I know someone who can do it, buuut they are in Albany and yes they are on the forum. John Lewis
Not me.
I am/was able to service SRAM Dual Drives.

I see that SRAM have ceased production so it's going to probably be not possible to get parts before long .

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 am

so this post is interesting as I'm looking to buy a commuter and one with an Alfine hub - is this thread telling me that I shouldn't be getting one from a serviceability perspective, and that I should stick with derailuer ?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 08, 2017 1:19 pm

swordfish wrote:so this post is interesting as I'm looking to buy a commuter and one with an Alfine hub - is this thread telling me that I shouldn't be getting one from a serviceability perspective, and that I should stick with derailuer ?

In all honesty, I think it's because the active readership of BNA these days certainly aint what used to be. Those few people that are still floating around possibly don't have the answers to the niche question. Whilst it's still not as shallow & vapid as Facebook; BNA aint the dynamic font of knowledge it used to be.

I wouldn't advise against purchasing such a hub, but rather search options further afield or maybe even DIY (not for everyone I know) I would also casually wander into the odd different LBS as you maybe passing and ask if they do or can service them; or phone around.
Even if you buy a bike with with an Alfine tomorrow; I don't think you'll likely need it services for a while yet - plenty of time to do the groundwork.

On a side note, whilst on Audax ride through Mandurah on Saturday I noticed parked outside the Dome cafe a shaft driven bike with what looked to be an Alfine 8 speed or similar hub in the rear wheel. It was a fairly non-descript ratty looking v-braked hybrid frame otherwise but what first caught my eye when I noticed it was missing a chainring. Quite the oddity.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply :)
so - is there a facebook page for Perth cycling (commuting based..not racing) that I should be looking at ?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed May 10, 2017 11:13 am

there may well be... but Facebook being what it is, there's probably already been several groups created, overlooked and now generally ignored by by most. I doubt any one single group is that comprehensive and actively monitored/contributed to by 'everyone'. Such is the fickle and ephemeral world of social media and our collective attention spans I guess.

If you have specific commuting questions related to metro Perth - still post it here under the WA subforum; there's still a few hard core contributing people coming and going. Just don't bet the farm on any responses

Context & timing of questions is everything. It's not really a reflection of your questions; more who's actually reading it.

Sorry if I seem a bit jaded. I've just seen a lot come and go on the internut.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Can't help with the "who" but i'd be shocked if none of the longer standing mechanics (e.g. Mercers) couldn't or wouldn't. A few special lubricants but no special tools needed for lubrication.

Sheldon Brown has all the info you need on Shimano Nexus/Alfine hubs
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ