Mitchell freeway PSP diversion at Cedric Street.

citywomble

Mitchell freeway PSP diversion at Cedric Street.

Postby citywomble » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:56 am

Hi all,

Please be advised that the PTA has commenced works to construct a bus priority lane along Cedric Street, Stirling, which involves a minor diversion for cyclists where the route of the PSP crosses Cedric Street.
Details of the project can be found here: http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Portals/15/AA_ ... 0FINAL.pdf

During the first stage of work the existing road crossing will be closed which, City bound, will involve a diversion along the northern shared path to the signalised crossing at station car park intersection. A signed diversion through the park will then lead to Telford Crescent. The importance of maintaining the best and safest alternative route, for the shortest possible time has been recognised and it is anticipated that the first stage will be completed in 3-4 weeks when the original route will reopen.

The new reopened crossing will feature a signalised Toucan crossing to ensure the future safety of cyclists when crossing Cedric Street while also resolving the current problems when queuing vehicles obstruct passage.

wellington_street

Re: Mitchell freeway PSP diversion at Cedric Street.

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Hopefully this lane will be signed to permit cyclists to use it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Given the amount of earth works required to install this additional Lane, why isn't an underpass being installed. The Southern side is already significantly low.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 am

wellington_street wrote:Hopefully this lane will be signed to permit cyclists to use it.
From the PDF:
Cyclists will be allowed to travel in the bus priority lanes, but are encouraged to use the existing shared path and new signalised crossing.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 am

Hi all,

The factsheet (follow link in OP) has now been updated to show the cyclist detour (blue line).

In answer to Roland's query, why there isn't an underpass? - apart from the cost of several $ million, the answer is that the existing crossing is a medium term solution that will be superseded once the freeway PSP is completed following the new Stephenson Boulevard intersection to Cedric Street. This will also then enable Hertha Road to extend across the freeway to join Cedric Street and a new intersection located at the current PSP crossing (where the new Toucan crossing will be installed in the next few weeks).

Details of the 'bigger picture' and where the proposed new road links will be, in the station and northern precincts, is available on the City of Stirling website here:
https://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/developm ... 202014.pdf

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 pm

citywomble wrote:Hi all,
............... The importance of maintaining the best and safest alternative route, for the shortest possible time has been recognised and it is anticipated that the first stage will be completed in 3-4 weeks when the original route will reopen.
Given that it has been now around 3 months that we have been riding on the 'pedesdrian' marked diversion, anyone know when this will be completed?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:51 pm

rolandp wrote:
............... The importance of maintaining the best and safest alternative route, for the shortest possible time has been recognised and it is anticipated that the first stage will be completed in 3-4 weeks when the original route will reopen.
Given that it has been now around 3 months that we have been riding on the 'pedesdrian' marked diversion, anyone know when this will be completed?
As NASHIE noted in an other thread where these works came up, the works were delayed due to approval issues around relocating a Western Power point of attachment (a.k.a. powerdome or mushroom). From what I have heard it was still an ongoing issue last week and it is not known when it will be resolved.

These are PTA managed works so you can contact them for an update if you want something official.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Scott_C wrote:
rolandp wrote:
As NASHIE noted in an other thread where these works came up, the works were delayed due to approval issues around relocating a Western Power point of attachment (a.k.a. powerdome or mushroom). From what I have heard it was still an ongoing issue last week and it is not known when it will be resolved.

These are PTA managed works so you can contact them for an update if you want something official.
Western power start moving light poles and said power dome Wed/Thur so works will be completed quickly from there. FWIW WP had all the paper work for the works but the start of the project was delayed and the permit run out. So PTA had to resubmit all the paper again (same works) and wait for WP to issue permit/ schedule the works :roll: Contractor had to de-mob while all this was going on.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 pm

citywomble wrote: once the freeway PSP is completed following the new Stephenson Boulevard intersection to Cedric Street.
Who's responsible for that? CoS or MRD. If the latter, I'm presuming that's scheduled for shortly after hell freezes over :-(
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Thoglette wrote:
citywomble wrote: once the freeway PSP is completed following the new Stephenson Boulevard intersection to Cedric Street.
Who's responsible for that? CoS or MRD. If the latter, I'm presuming that's scheduled for shortly after hell freezes over :-(
The PSP would be Main Roads. If we are lucky it might be built as part of the upcoming widening of the freeway between Reid Hwy and Vincent St. If not, at least we might get a Glendalough-Hutton link along the east side of the freeway.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:39 pm

The green mushrooms have gone. I want my crossing back, sick of riding down to the lights and trying to get through the barrier as someone though it was a good idea to block off half of the path.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:13 am

Cedric St crossing is back again. It does take two light changes for us to cross, but when I used it around 5:30 last night, it was only a 6sec delay from pressing the button to when we had the green light. Will this continue, I will be surprised as with the number of cyclists that use the crossing, motorist traffic will be getting lots of red lights.

The layout of the crossing is poor with traffic lights in the path both sides, and turning is very tight, in particular if you have oncoming path users.

It looks nothing like the diagram here.

But it is open.

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 pm

I like the layout - it allows more people to fit in the island at the middle during peak periods. I suspect that the majority of commuters in the morning (citybound) will cross the road without pushing the button for the first section and wait for the light at the 2nd section (as traffic is particularly backed up then)
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:I like the layout - it allows more people to fit in the island at the middle during peak periods. I suspect that the majority of commuters in the morning (citybound) will cross the road without pushing the button for the first section and wait for the light at the 2nd section (as traffic is particularly backed up then)
But, if it had been installed like the original diagram, where we press one button, which then turns both sets of lights green for us and allows us to ride straight over without stopping in the middle, we would have been able to queue up to around 1km on the south side,and 100m on the north side.

During non-winter days, there will still be more people waiting than can fit in the crossing, which means that we will be pushing the button again as soon as it turns red. I used the crossing again today, and max time from pressing the button to getting a green lantern, 8sec. Motorists will start to complain with this delay - not our problem until the delay in our green light is increased between pressing the button and getting the green.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 am

I agree - a straight through run would have been much preferred. Perhaps it was done this way to minimize the time the lights need to be red?

Went through there this morning (heading south). Didn't bother with the first lights as no traffic. Waited ~20 sec at the second sent - much less that I would have had to wait pre-lights (and safer crossing). There were 6 of us at ~7.45am.

All up, I am ok with it.

worzel

Postby worzel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Is this diversion still in place?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 am

worzel wrote:Is this diversion still in place?
Nope, all finished and again available.

Except, NBN, were rolling out cables late last week, so it may look like it is closed. Reported to City of Stirling, no response. Spoke to traffic management on Friday, who indicated the share path and cycle Lane would remain open, as they had workers on the shared path on Thursday. Haven't ridden in this week yet.