Claise Brook Trafalgar Bridge

fixed

Claise Brook Trafalgar Bridge

Postby fixed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 pm

So people who ride bikes can now ride on footpaths, we can ride over Trafalgar Bridge with impunity, and those signs and the actions and chat from City of Perth staff are all bluff and bluster? (Citing changes to Road Traffic Code)
The Road Safety Commission website has this small caveat "https://rsc.wa.gov.au/Education-Progra ... /Cyclists"
"unless otherwise signed"
Because I have now started riding around the long way around near to the Chinese consulate and weaving through the random peds is clearly a more unsafe option.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

dmwill

Re: Claise Brook Trafalgar Bridge

Postby dmwill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

What exactly is the reason behind cyclists not being allowed to rider over the bridge?

Are they concerned a cyclist might knock a pedestrian over into the water? Don't see how it's any different to any other kind of overpass (only difference is the falling pedestrian would get flattened by a car in the case of a freeway overpass).

Rollo

Postby Rollo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Just checked the Road Traffic Code 2000 and, alas, it's fairly clear the signs on the bridge are still valid. https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/File ... penElement section 218, page 243 of the document, page 261 of the pdf.

However, Gary - a ranger from the City of Perth, who I had a delightful discussion with this morning, only seemed to be there to put people off rather than fine them. He said he was just writing down people's names although when I engaged him on the validity of stopping cyclists riding over the bridge, he lost interest in writing down mine. He also claimed they would be sending people fines by using face recognition technology. So he was probably just bluffing. I wonder whether rangers actually have the authority to issue fines here or whether his presence was just to put off the increased number of cyclists because of the work happening on the Causeway underpass.

Also, yes - I don't understand why it is so important for them to not have people cycling across this bridge. Before Claisebrook was redeveloped, there was an existing bridge over the trickle that used to be the brook and that cyclists were allowed to use. Gary couldn't explain to me why they would build infrastructure that requires people to not use their form of transport properly. He didn't really take to my suggestion that when cars enter mixed use areas such as car parks, the motorists be required to disembark and push - it has clear safety advantages.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm

dmwill wrote:What exactly is the reason behind cyclists not being allowed to rider over the bridge?
Excess noise, if you can believe it, apparently cyclists riding over the deck surface makes a loud enough noise to disturb the nearby residents. Quoting from CoP Works and Urban Development Committee Minutes:
However, there have been some historic reservations by local residents in the vicinity of the Trafalgar Bridge who have sighted noise levels as the main objection to permitting cyclists to travel over the bridge. Comments from local residents received in the past indicate that the noise of bicycle tyres travelling over the wooden boards that make up the surface of the bridge are disruptive.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm

The 'No Bicycles' signs at either end make it unlawful to ride your bike across.

That said, I do it anyway, as the alternative route is far more dangerous and as a small protest.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Have never walked over it, but always give pedestrians plenty of room and doesn't seem to cause issues.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

I roll at walking pace the few times i have crossed, which i think complies and doubt would get fined for. Reckon i would make more noise clip, clopping in the cleats.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:10 am

Scott_C wrote:
dmwill wrote:What exactly is the reason behind cyclists not being allowed to rider over the bridge?
Excess noise, if you can believe it, apparently cyclists riding over the deck surface makes a loud enough noise to disturb the nearby residents. Quoting from CoP Works and Urban Development Committee Minutes:
However, there have been some historic reservations by local residents in the vicinity of the Trafalgar Bridge who have sighted noise levels as the main objection to permitting cyclists to travel over the bridge. Comments from local residents received in the past indicate that the noise of bicycle tyres travelling over the wooden boards that make up the surface of the bridge are disruptive.
That committee meeting was in 2014 with resolution of:
That Works and Urban Development Committee notes the City’s intention to investigate suitable design solutions, including the status quo, that will facilitate the implementation of a Pedestrian Priority Zone at the Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth, within the current financial year to accommodate slow speed, controlled bicycle movements, in-line with the City of Perth Cycle Plan 2029.
Wheels turn very slow at the City of Perth given that we still can't ride over the bridge. Unless of course, the City decided on the Status Quo.

Given the shared path bridge at Elizabeth Quay has similar material, how long before we won't be able to ride on it for the same reason?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50 pm

rolandp wrote:That committee meeting was in 2014 with resolution of:
That Works and Urban Development Committee notes the City’s intention to investigate suitable design solutions, including the status quo, that will facilitate the implementation of a Pedestrian Priority Zone at the Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth, within the current financial year to accommodate slow speed, controlled bicycle movements, in-line with the City of Perth Cycle Plan 2029.
Wheels turn very slow at the City of Perth given that we still can't ride over the bridge. Unless of course, the City decided on the Status Quo.
I suspect it is political. A very vocal, wealthy group of residents at East Perth have the Mayor's ear. Remember the furore over building on a small car park in the same area?
I can't see anything happening until we have a more cycling-friendly mayor - e.g. Cr Reece Harley.
rolandp wrote:Given the shared path bridge at Elizabeth Quay has similar material, how long before we won't be able to ride on it for the same reason?
I believe DoT is well aware of the problems at Trafalgar Bridge (and have been pushing for the ban to be lifted) and are doing their best to avoid a similar situation occurring at EQ. Any blame has to be squarely at the feet of MRA as they had the power to make their own decisions on materials despite objections from more knowledgeable agencies - cf the Barrack Square cobble stones.

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:27 pm

I've been riding through this to avoid the painful Causeway detour on the other side of the river. No dramas so far, the closest being one bloke haughtily announcing to his wife (deliberately loudly enough for me to hear, after I'd passed them) that cyclists aren't allowed on the bridge!. My response was a set of bunny hops (I was on my MTB) and a nice loud skid at the bollards at the other end. Not a good promotion of cycling on my part, but it beat yelling an equally smarmy comment over my shoulder, I guess!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Finished a 90k ride, all on the road, no issues with motorist etc, and decided to finish with a lull home on the PSP. With the causeway out of action i roll up to claise brook bridge and some old bloke just walking onto the bridge starts having a 'hard' go at to young girls (about 20yrs old) for riding their bike on the bridge. He's going on thats he's a bike racer and they are giving all riders and bad name bla bla. I tell him to pull his head in as they were only sitting on the bike rolling kicking along with their feet. They could of been tourists for all he knew, but no he would not shut up, so decided to not escalate the scene and roll on by and continue over the bridge at walking pace and next he is running up after me :lol: bla bla can't you read signs ........... took the heat of the girls anyway :wink: