3 Dams - possible without training ?

XIX

3 Dams - possible without training ?

Postby XIX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Guys

Bit of a newbie question.

I have got an entry for the 3 Dams ride, but I haven't had a chance to get up onto the hills for any training. I am a semi regular rider and I am up to scratch fitness wise, just happened to have run out of time to do anything through the hills.

Just wondering what the thoughts are, is it likely that someone with a resonable amount of fitness but not the specific hills conditioning would be able to complete the ride ? Or am I dreaming ?

I am a 90kg + rider as well, and more of a power athlete rather than an endurance one.

Thanks for your advice!

Scott_C

Re: 3 Dams - possible without training ?

Postby Scott_C » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 pm

What is the worst hill that you currently climb on a regular basis and what distance do you typically ride?

If you already do repeats of Stock Rd, Johnson Parade or Mount St then I think you will be able to make it if you also regularly do 100km rides. If you can't make it up those hills or don't regularly go more than 50km then I think you will be in for a tough time of it.

XIX

Postby XIX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Scott_C wrote:What is the worst hill that you currently climb on a regular basis and what distance do you typically ride?

If you already do repeats of Stock Rd, Johnson Parade or Mount St then I think you will be able to make it if you also regularly do 100km rides. If you can't make it up those hills or don't regularly go more than 50km then I think you will be in for a tough time of it.
Thanks for the reply Scott_C ,

I have only recently started riding up Mount st. only got half way up the first couple of times, but since then I am able to get up to the top (though certainly feeling it), this is at the end of longer rides (60km - 90km )

my midweek riding is usually about 25km rides , but thats because of time and also usually into a decent headwind (I live on river in East Perth). On weekends between 70km - 100km rides with a few longer ones. Time is ussually why I stop, not fatigue.

I just dont really know what the hills are like in length and slope, in comparison to other hills I have ridden

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

XIX wrote:I just dont really know what the hills are like in length and slope, in comparison to other hills I have ridden
3 Dams Course Profile:
http://www.mapmyride.com/au/belmont-wes ... e-13779482

Mount St Profile:
http://www.mapmyride.com/au/west-perth- ... te-3772646

Mount St is steeper (10-12% compared to ~6%) but much, much shorter (40m elevation gain compared to 240m elevation gain) than the major hills you will face on 3 dams.

You are probably in the right ballpark to do 3 Dams but I'd want to get up to the level where you could do a couple of repeats of Mounts St (or an equivalent number of repeats of a less steep hill like Summers St from the River to Joel Terrace or Claisebrook Rd from the GFF to Summers St which are both in the 4 to 5% range and in East Perth, just watch out for cement trucks on Claisebrook Rd).

billy70

Postby billy70 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am

With that base level of fitness, I think you'll be ok. Hills fitness really is different, but if you take it easy and pace yourself I would expect it to be achievable. It is a supported event with a really broad range of fitness levels, so good luck!

roller

Postby roller » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 pm

XIX wrote:I have only recently started riding up Mount st. only got half way up the first couple of times, but since then I am able to get up to the top (though certainly feeling it), this is at the end of longer rides (60km - 90km )

my midweek riding is usually about 25km rides , but thats because of time and also usually into a decent headwind (I live on river in East Perth). On weekends between 70km - 100km rides with a few longer ones. Time is ussually why I stop, not fatigue.

I just dont really know what the hills are like in length and slope, in comparison to other hills I have ridden
you'll never not feel mount street in my experience, even when you're up to doing 20+ reps of it 1 still troubles.

from my memory of the 3 dams route there are 3 or 4 mount street type stretches on the 3 dams route,

-coming out of Mundaring weir (tip - do not stop at that dam, you'll lose a lot of momentum which could help you through that)
-going up past carmel college (only time I've seen people walking on the 3 dams)
-coming out of canning dam
-coming out of Wungong

none of these are as vicious as mount street but are a touch longer, these are the bits which I think put people into trouble.

the other hills are manageable as long as you keep your ambitions in check and sit in a nice easy gear, even if you're feeling good don't try and keep up with someone who is going faster, save that for when you're coming home up the freeway.

as others have said I think you'll be fine, so why not give it a go since you have the entry? what's the worst that can happen?
inflammatory statement or idea

roller

Postby roller » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Oh and you've still got 2 weeks - I'd suggest hitting king's park in the mornings

a couple of mount streets (in a row, no stopping now) (go around the round-a-bout too or it's cheating), a couple forrest drives, a couple of May..

sessions like this will help a lot, only need to do it a couple of times and you'll get a bit of a benefit and kings park is just beautiful in the mornings right now.

XIX

Postby XIX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

Ok, so if I can get a few more hills in I might just get the conditioning close so I don't die in the legs out there.

Can I ask whats a good loop of Kings Park to do ? I can do that easily in the mornings so if that can help then awesome.

Some of the hills I regularly do are the Avenue in dalkeith, the Meads hill in Mosman Park and start of Preston point from Canning hwy. Are these comparable to most of the ride ?

clint66

Postby clint66 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

also what gearing are you running? an extra couple of teeth on the back may make those steeper gradients a lot more bearable.

XIX

Postby XIX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 pm

I think I have an 11-28 (cant go any higher because I have the short derailleur) , but I did change to full compact at the front for that exact reason (and it has made hills much easier)

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Have known at least half a dozen people with minimal cycling experience complete 3 dams.

IMO, as long as you're reasonably active and don't have any health issues, you should be fine. Just take it easy up the hills.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 am

^ Agreed.

I wouldn't overthink it, none of those mounds you've cited are comparable in length. Greenmount will give you a nice little test to start the day, especially if it's an Easterly wind, but it's doable by taking it easy. Coming out of Mundaring Weir and Wungong are the real pinch points.

I would stop at every rest point and ensure you keep up the nutrition and hydration. I think the loss of momentum by stopping at Mundaring Weir can be easily offset by the value of that first stop and taking a break (wouldn't be needed if you were Hills fit).

Riding repeats of any hills in Perth over the next couple of weeks can definitely help, even if it's only so you learn more about how your body and mind react.

At the end of the day, it's Perth so the climbs are rather small and short. The ride is well supported with multiple rest points, so pace yourself and enjoy!

XIX

Postby XIX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks guys!

Looks like I will do my best to get some repeats in on the lead up and hope for the best :)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Ewen St in Double view is also a fun climb: a bit longer than mount street, average 8% max 13%.

While you're there pop over to Sackville Terrace for the climb up to Nautilous terrace. A short climb (26m) but averaging 13%. Go round and down Pearl parade to do the longer if less steep eastern climb up Sackvile

See also the Short but steep thread on Cycling forums.

There's lots of stiff little climbs in the coastal dunes
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm

XIX wrote:Can I ask whats a good loop of Kings Park to do ? I can do that easily in the mornings so if that can help then awesome.
i'd suggest a pretzel- so head up mount street and then into the park via fraser ave and at the first roundabout you come to take a left.

Then go down the middle of the park via Lovekin Drive and take the first left and go up Forrest Drive, that will take you back to Lovekin Drive, so go down Lovekin Drive again and follow it all the way as it loops around to the right on to May Drive.

Repeat til it's time to go home.

Drive, Drive, Drive, they should really rename those Cycle, cycle, cycle.

clint66

Postby clint66 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I'd say managing your nutrition and electrolytes and other say taking it easy will get you through. Ride with others and share the work will help too. I'm not sure if the info nights have been already, but there is some info there that might help you out.

As the day progresses, you should catchup to or have people pass you that are riding around your pace, so even if its a stranger, pull up next to them say hello and ask if you can sit on their wheel for a while, then offer to take some turns on the front. Ride your own pace on the longer climbs but sitting in with some others makes the kms tick off quicker and reduce some of your efforts.

It really is one of the more enjoyable events I think. I always saw it as a nice fun hills ride. Everyone is working, but generally as they aren't racing its a different vibe. Plus there are just bikes everywhere for the most part. That and it is well supported by BWA.

XIX

Postby XIX » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for this ! I did a few more hills including a few repeats around kingspark and a Malcolm st followed by Mount st to finish up and am feeling a bit more confident.

Fingers crossed !

owly

Postby owly » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am

Good luck!

Just to let you know, being located in East Perth, there's a few sharp hills around the back end of Bayswater.

If you're ever out Swan Valley way, head up Weir Road in Baskerville/Brigadoon. :shock:
MUFC :twisted:

roller

Postby roller » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:03 am

Good luck! Keep your fluids up, it could get warm out there today.

XIX

Postby XIX » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks Guys

All your great tips made all the difference today.

Got through with a touch under 26k average, which I thought was not bad given the massive quad cramp i was getting :lol:

Wow those downhills are fun! Almost makes up for the uphills :shock: