Main Roads Cycling Guidelines for Local Area Traffic Management Open for Comment

Scott_C

Main Roads Cycling Guidelines for Local Area Traffic Management Open for Comment

Postby Scott_C » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Browsing through the MRWA website and I came across the following:
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... dards.aspx
Cycling Guidelines for Western Australia - Local Area Traffic Management
Comments are sought on the Draft Cycling Guidelines for Western Australia - Local Area Traffic Management. Please forward all comments and feedback to edward.rose@mainroads.wa.gov.au by 12 May 2017.
The Guidelines are a year old and were produced by external consultants. They deal with provision for cyclists at traffic calming devices. The document indicates that-
These guidelines are the first in a series of documents which are being produced for Main Roads WA with the purpose of providing guidance for practising engineers and designers on how to best cater for cyclists.
-so we can hopefully expect to see further areas addressed in the future (seeing that Main Roads have sat on this one for a year doesn't give me much hope it will be the near future).

Having browsed through the document it largely seems to be common sense sort of recommendations like provide a bicycle bypass if a squeeze point is too narrow for a vehicle and bicycle to fit side-by-side but I am sure there is some valuable feedback that could be provided from my fellow forum-goers.

rolandp

Re: Main Roads Cycling Guidelines for Local Area Traffic Management Open for Comment

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks for the links. The documents are dated 17/03/2016. Things can take awhile at MainRoads.

The document has a photo ( page 17 )of Duffy TCE, Woodvale, which won a Local Government Award back in 2012. The document specifies this road is "red" indicating:
Although painted medians allow motorists to safety overtake slow moving cyclists their effectiveness is diminished when they are frequently truncated by raised medians.
→ In this example, the wide area assigned to the central median could easily have been used to provide exclusive cycle lanes (refer to Section 14 on “Road Diet”)

At either end of Duffy TCE is a high school - one public and one private, which hopefully lots of kids ride to school, to add to the importance of this road and its use.

It may be 'commin sense' but it still requires individuals to apply these 'guidelines'.

Scott_C

Re: Main Roads Cycling Guidelines for Local Area Traffic Management Open for Comment

Postby Scott_C » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

rolandp wrote:The documents are dated 17/03/2016. Things can take awhile at MainRoads.
Notably, the document pre-dates the change in the Road Traffic Act that legalised footpath riding, which is apparent in some of the commentary regarding provision of off-road facilities.