RIDE: to Deliver MPD Petition 0745 Thu 23-Mar-17 Elizabeth Quay

eldavo

RIDE: to Deliver MPD Petition 0745 Thu 23-Mar-17 Elizabeth Quay

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm

If anyone can show their support for this petition, please share to potential supporters.
Currently 1,163 of the target 2000 signatures.
https://www.communityrun.org/petitions/ ... nvironment

A short ride from Elizabeth Quay to Parliament House is organised by Cycle Alliance.
Riding our bicycles from Elizabeth Quay to Parliament House (2km). Meet 7:45 for 8:00 departure
Event by Cycle Alliance on facebook, ride lead by Sara Stace their WA/Perth Director.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1659617764343426/

Article with the new Premier's pledge:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-1 ... le/8260870

eldavo

Re: RIDE: to Deliver MPD Petition 0745 Thu 23-Mar-17 Elizabeth Quay

Postby eldavo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

When I messaged West Cycle to share the community petition, they replied:

Just to jog your memory, WestCycle is a government funded not-for-profit proclaimed as the peak cycling body in WA ($850k of $1.2m revenue from grants FY2016)

WestCycle Vision and Values...although like much on the website, these may be outdated and not accurate:
http://www.westcycle.org.au/about-us-westcycle
WestCycle wrote: Our Vision
For Western Australia to have a thriving cycling community that is inclusive and cohesive.
Our Mission
To work with our members, government agencies, corporate partners and the general public to promote and develop cycling in Western Australia as a form of transport, recreation and sport.
Our Values
The Cycling Community
- We value the work performed by all groups and organisations actively promoting commuting, recreation and competitive cycling in WA.
Collaboration
- We are committed to working in partnership with the WA cycling community to create benefits for cycling in WA.
Integrity and Ethical Practice
- We will operate with trust, integrity and transparency in all of our dealings with our member organisations, government and the broader WA cycling community.
Leadership
- We will provide strategic direction to the activity of cycling in WA and we will nurture the commitment of our stakeholders to this direction.
Communication
- We will listen to our stakeholders and communicate in an effective, transparent and respectful manner.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 pm

The petition makes little sense in the context of the change in government.

It is specifically addressed to the labour leader (who has already acknowledged the need for MPDL) and the McGowan Government, and then insists that the now deposed Liberal Government introduce the MPDL:
We insist that the Barnett Government respect the memories of the victims and the families left behind after every cycling fatality by ensuring that their loved ones did not die in vain by introducing the MPDL forthwith.
This renders the petition invalid as it appears to be drafted prior to the change of government and only partly revised. The outcome is that it is petitioning the party that is no longer in a position to deliver.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks citywomble, I've forwarded your comment to the petitioner.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

eldavo wrote:Thanks citywomble, I've forwarded your comment to the petitioner.
Certainly makes no sense as is: it'd be a shame if "not even cyclists are interested in MPD". BWA has been silent: I presume the petitioner has not had any luck with them
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am

Not only am I suffering petition fatigue, I'm suffering advocacy group fatigue.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:11 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Not only am I suffering petition fatigue, I'm suffering advocacy group fatigue.
You mean you have a life outside cycling? As there's no cycling advocacy group in WA
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Maybe it's just acronym fatigue, they're all becoming a blur.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Not only am I suffering petition fatigue, I'm suffering advocacy group fatigue.
I had to look some of the name and website up to explain it, the descriptive stuff is my impression.
Australian Cycle Alliance:
- aka Cycle on FB
- aka Cycle Alliance http://cycle.org.au/
is a volunteer run social media platform meta-advocacy that I've gleaned was born out of the numerous cycling advocate organisations inconsistencies i.e. actively against other advocates e.g. BTA WA shutdown by funding parent WestCycle, under-representing bicycle transport e.g. BTA WA gone, West Cycle has ceased Bike Ed training capacity, West Cycle AGM is dominated by pages of sporting achievements results.
The key word for Cycle is "Alliance" that has directors in each capital, who all met physically together for the first AGM late last year.
Fighting against bicycle member organisations that are actively against cycling, is mind bending, but seems part of daily business. e.g. BWA have "recently reviewed its position" on MPD law, although they stipulate requiring a 3 year trial with 2 years elsewhere where trial approach was taken.

I've messaged many LBS and bicycle professionals I've personally dealt with (not that they'd personally know me) asking if they'd like to share, no responses.
I'm not affiliated with any advocacy group, I'm as active on Cycle Members Forum FB page as I am on BNA, because it's a closed group a bit more like this forum.

I just noticed when the ride to deliver petition event was referred to by Cycle, I signed but had already signed before, then I noticed that the numbers on the petition had stalled 2 months ago.
A lot has happened since then with the WA election.
The she!zer "Might be Sally in her Torago" type ads running on air right now reminded me every time I see trash TV of what a joke the situation was.
So I decided I'd like to see what I can do in the final days to share it around to see if people care, try to get the number from 1162 to hopefully 1500 of the target 2000 before the petition (aka "Publicity Stunt" - WestCycle) is submitted tomorrow.

PS: Thanks @citywomble the "Why It's Important" description has been updated by the petitioner to make it current reflecting the change of government.

I messaged AGF asking them if they'd like to share it to help us show the Premier that people care, since they're actively campaigning #ametremattersNOW for Victoria.
No response, doesn't appear they read their page messages. So I commented on their page, asking to share the love for WA.

No, no love to spare for WA. (Seinfeld, not a square to spare)

RAC WA responded with a polite PR "no" with them noting it was "interesting" that two thirds of their polled members were against MPD law.