What would it take to get you to try racing (road/criterium or TT)?

RobertL

Re: What would it take to get you to try racing (road/criterium or TT)?

Postby RobertL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm in Brisbane, so I'll never take part in any of the events listed in Perth, but I am slowly edging towards thinking about maybe one day possibly having a go in a race. Perhaps : )

I've been doing shop rides for a while, and the shop has an "attached" club - Lifecycle Cycling Club. One of the guys that I ride with there has a lot to do with organising the club and its races. He keeps telling me when there is a race coming up, that I'd be fine in D grade, that I know some of the D grade riders and am as quick as them, how I can get a 3-race licence...and so on.

So, I will probably take him up on it one day and give it a go.

My biggest fear is that I will be too competitive and take it too seriously. I can get like that sometimes.

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Not knowing anyone in PDCC or anyone that races there has not helped me much. All the guys I ride with race at WCMCC but I am not 35 yo yet..

I want to give it a go but sometimes I think that I've only been riding for a couple of years so maybe it is better to get stronger and gain more skills first.

I will try it for 3 road races this year at PDCC so maybe I will contact you Nick.

Cheers

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 am

I'm not in your area so take this with a grain of salt.

However what would encourage me to go racing would be a safety culture. Up here, that means the coms saying "Your front wheel is your responsibility". Other than that - it's game on. If there is an accident they throw the bodies in the ambulance, sweep the bikes off and call next race. :shock:

That's not acceptable for me. I know accidents happen, but I'd like to think that if there was an incident then at least the group would learn from it. Hopefully that would stop it happening again. If trouble was following one rider, then they should be encouraged to try another sport. Maybe the aviation example is a bit too far, but I think we need to work towards it.

This example came from a thought bubble of mine a while back. I used to fly gliders, but stopped. It was at least in part because of safety concerns. However, I realised recently that in my circle of friends I've known many people who have been very badly injured (some with life altering injuries), and even a friend of friend who was killed in cycling. When I thought back.. No one I knew or even friend of friend was ever even hurt in gliding.

http://www.glidingaustralia.org/member- ... -incidents
To have an effective Safety Management System, we need to be able to learn from our mistakes. To do so we need to report our mistakes, determine the cause(s) and implement remedial actions.This requires an honest and open culture where admitting mistakes is not considered a weakness, punitive action being a thing of the past and misdemeanors being addressed in a just manner. If we achieve that we are well on the way to being an effective learning organisation with good prospects for a much improved accident record. - David Pietsch, Canberra Gliding Club

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 am

I'm not in WA but have friends telling me to try racing. But racing is an unknown to me. So....

It would take an open day to get me along.

I would want to watch a crit race with commentary, eg sit in the stand and watch what is happening with an official talking us through it - why they're riding as they are, points to note, safety issues, what they will do when cornering, etc. I'd also like to know average distances and speeds - "D Grade 10 laps +2 " means nothing to me. Finally, a training circuit, eg 5 laps with 10 noobs and a couple of officials to coach us through riding the circuit in a group, being marshalled and the like. People to encourage us, where to sit, how to move up, how to corner on a line, etc.

That way, I could understand what a race is like, get a mental model of it, and have been coached through the basics. Then I'd give D grade a go.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Derny Driver wrote:I remember one race where this bloke had so much power he just got on the front of the group and stomped on the pedals at almost 50kph for about 10km. I was hurting so bad just struggling to hold his wheel, I was at 110% effort even in his slipstream and I just wanted to sit up. All the guys behind did but I disliked this guy and didnt want to give him the pleasure. So I suffered like a dog. I was just about to throw in the towel when he eased off. So there was 2 of us at the finish and I took great pleasure in beating him by about 15 lengths. My ability to suffer and hold a wheel trumped his 30-40% power advantage over me.

But I digress as usual. On the topic at hand, well if you are a bloke with low testosterone, well racing may not be for you. Just a coffee shop cruise or a Gran Fondo will be enough to excite you. Or a walk in the park with your poodle. For myself, I loved the racing for the same reason that guys like to bash into each other on a footy field, or punch each other in the head in a boxing ring. Its an assertion of the ego (which is not a dirty word) and a proving of ones masculinity. If you think bashing other blokes up on Strava and bragging about it on facebook is awesome, you should try a proper race. You can stand on the top step of a podium and smirk at the others drowning their sorrows in a lukewarm International Roast.
Racing a bicycle is also a thinking mans sport and not suited to the neanderthal types. Smart people do well in bike races. If you like a bit of intellectual stimulation and on-the-run problem solving, then bike racing is perfect. Make a bad decision, race over for you. Make all the right ones, you are there at the finish. Dopey people usually quit the sport in frustration after a few attempts.
I love this DD :D. It describes me perfectly; under-powered but a superior ability to hate myself. And it describes the main reason I race a bike; very honest. The ancillaries of speed, freedom, excitement etc are there, but nothing compares to beating someone. I would say that I also love to respect someone who is better than me and that I can learn from, emulate. No better inspiration than being beaten straight out. And winning and losing is so real in cycling, so raw and personal, not like other sports somehow. No lanes I guess, very close. The other aspect of the intellectual side is the planning to race, designing a training plan, executing, modifying etc. That is a fabulous intellectual exercise.

Sorry I am saying why I race too, I know.

XIX

Postby XIX » Thu May 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I like the idea of an Open day, I would be interested in seeing what its all about and potentially taking part in a few events.

Like the above though, safety is the most important thing for me due to various responsibilities ...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Joel Bohorquez wrote:Not knowing anyone in PDCC or anyone that races there has not helped me much. All the guys I ride with race at WCMCC but I am not 35 yo yet..

I want to give it a go but sometimes I think that I've only been riding for a couple of years so maybe it is better to get stronger and gain more skills first.

I will try it for 3 road races this year at PDCC so maybe I will contact you Nick.
Joel, if you ride with guys who race at WCMCC there is no reason why you can not race yourself. There is not that much difference between the WCMCC and PDCC grades, if your friends ride B grade at WCMCC and you can hang in with them, no reason you can't ride B grade at PDCC, or have your first race or two C because the bunch is smaller.

You don't need to worry about how strong you are, there are four or five grades, so there will be a right grade for you and anybody else who wants to race.

As for skills, I start will almost no experience in bunch riding. I had been commuting for a few years, so I had a ok level of fitness, I could handle a bike, but never in a bunch. Once I started racing I started taking part in bunch rides to improve those skills. Lack of skills should never put you off, you will learn faster in racing situations, than non racing situations.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:45 am

My 2c:

- CA licensing is a mess and quite expensive. Add this to the club costs and racing fees etc, adds up.
- The period I did have CA was for track/ If I want to race I'd go for track each and every time over road race/crits
- I don't see the appeal in TT. Strava sort of killed that imo.
- Crits sound fun (never done one to be honest) but would like to.
- Seen too many youtube crash videos.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am

Calvin27 wrote:My 2c:

Geez don't let that stop you. If we all stopped doing what crashes, fails, breaks on youtube i think the world would stop :wink:

Love watching rally car crash vids.....dosent stop or slow me down when racing.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 am

NASHIE wrote:

Geez don't let that stop you. If we all stopped doing what crashes, fails, breaks on youtube i think the world would stop :wink:

Love watching rally car crash vids.....doesn't stop or slow me down when racing.
I don't know why but those roadie crash videos scare me to death or some reason. I have no problems bombing down single track on a course way above my skill level, putting the foot to the floor in my car on the race track and I've lost plenty of skin on the velodrome. But for some reason crit racing crashes get me. Maybe it's because usually it's someone else's fault.

But yeah I do have crit racing on my radar of to do's.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri May 05, 2017 10:35 am

Calvin27 wrote:
NASHIE wrote:

Love watching rally car crash vids.....doesn't stop or slow me down when racing.
I don't know why but those roadie crash videos scare me to death or some reason. I have no problems bombing down single track on a course way above my skill level, putting the foot to the floor in my car on the race track and I've lost plenty of skin on the velodrome. But for some reason crit racing crashes get me. Maybe it's because usually it's someone else's fault.

But yeah I do have crit racing on my radar of to do's.
I hear you, i don't really enjoy circuit racing due to the 'someone else's fault factor' not really the safety aspect but the competitive nature of being taken out of the race.

Unfortunately my last bike road race some 20yrs ago was very painful end to racing, but I'm still more pissed at the fact it was due to the 2 guys touching wheels and falling in front of me and taking a possible win away

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am

NASHIE wrote:
I hear you, i don't really enjoy circuit racing due to the 'someone else's fault factor' not really the safety aspect but the competitive nature of being taken out of the race.

Unfortunately my last bike road race some 20yrs ago was very painful end to racing, but I'm still more pissed at the fact it was due to the 2 guys touching wheels and falling in front of me and taking a possible win away
I find the track racing, despite having equal or more crash frequency is better. Riders have better knowledge, and I'd argue skill, there are less unexpected occurances and there are hard rules - hold the line, no undertaking. Best of all no brakes.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri May 05, 2017 12:15 pm

RobertL wrote:I'm in Brisbane, so I'll never take part in any of the events listed in Perth, but I am slowly edging towards thinking about maybe one day possibly having a go in a race. Perhaps : )

I've been doing shop rides for a while, and the shop has an "attached" club - Lifecycle Cycling Club. One of the guys that I ride with there has a lot to do with organising the club and its races. He keeps telling me when there is a race coming up, that I'd be fine in D grade, that I know some of the D grade riders and am as quick as them, how I can get a 3-race licence...and so on.

So, I will probably take him up on it one day and give it a go.

My biggest fear is that I will be too competitive and take it too seriously. I can get like that sometimes.
Well, the club is doing a 3 week "adult skills session" that I have signed up for. It's to get people interested in crit racing and/or improve bunch riding skills. 3 x 1 hour sessions over 3 Saturdays, starting on May 13. So if I enjoy that, I can see myself entering a race in the near future.

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 pm

nickobec wrote:
Joel Bohorquez wrote:Not knowing anyone in PDCC or anyone that races there has not helped me much. All the guys I ride with race at WCMCC but I am not 35 yo yet..

Joel, if you ride with guys who race at WCMCC there is no reason why you can not race yourself. There is not that much difference between the WCMCC and PDCC grades, if your friends ride B grade at WCMCC and you can hang in with them, no reason you can't ride B grade at PDCC, or have your first race or two C because the bunch is smaller.

You don't need to worry about how strong you are, there are four or five grades, so there will be a right grade for you and anybody else who wants to race.

As for skills, I start will almost no experience in bunch riding. I had been commuting for a few years, so I had a ok level of fitness, I could handle a bike, but never in a bunch. Once I started racing I started taking part in bunch rides to improve those skills. Lack of skills should never put you off, you will learn faster in racing situations, than non racing situations.
Thanks Nick,
I will try the Sepertine Road Race 20 May. Do I need to contact PDCC prior to that. What about grading? It says in PDCC website on my first race I should go no lower than C grade!? That means A, B or C? If that's so I'd go C. I don't think I could race B. I ride with guys that race at C grade in WCMCC and others in D. B grade riders are way stronger than me.
See you.
I will introduce myself that day.
Joel

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 am

Joel Bohorquez wrote: I will try the Sepertine Road Race 20 May. Do I need to contact PDCC prior to that. What about grading? It says in PDCC website on my first race I should go no lower than C grade!? That means A, B or C? If that's so I'd go C. I don't think I could race B. I ride with guys that race at C grade in WCMCC and others in D. B grade riders are way stronger than me.
See you.
I will introduce myself that day.
Joel
Hi Joel

No you do not need to contact, just need to turn up at the Serpentine Pony Club at 1:30pm or before, with your bike, helmet and your cycling australia licence (note get a 3 event licence for $51 instead a day licence, as it is cheaper + if you get a full licence within 4 months of getting a 3 event, email cycling australia and they will rebate you $49) and either $15 if you nominate PDCC on your licence or $25 another club.

If you can get there by 1, I will take your for a lap of the course, not that there is much to show, Gull Road is rough and narrow, Rapids Road starts in cover, then you are suddenly in the open and crosswinds. Turn onto Karnup Road, wide, open and with a tailwind to the start finish.

If you can hold your own with you friends who race C grade at WCMCC, you will be racing with me, nominally in C grade.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm

People with better bike skills, every other week in WA someone needs their collarbone fixed. But in all seriousness, been there and done that.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Parker wrote:People with better bike skills, every other week in WA someone needs their collarbone fixed. But in all seriousness, been there and done that.
Would 17 women in Women's D grade tempt you to race Parker? That is size of the field for Peel Ladies Tour.

I also agree with you about the number of accidents, but that is usually in Men's Masters or for some strange reason Women's A this season.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

nickobec wrote:
Parker wrote:People with better bike skills, every other week in WA someone needs their collarbone fixed. But in all seriousness, been there and done that.
Would 17 women in Women's D grade tempt you to race Parker? That is size of the field for Peel Ladies Tour.

I also agree with you about the number of accidents, but that is usually in Men's Masters or for some strange reason Women's A this season.
Thats a good turnout Nick, whats the junior numbers like ?. Son's a bit pissed he has to miss this event.

About 180 riders raced an ITT and road race out at Pickering brook last Sunday in very wet weather, and i only heard/witnessed 2 incidents and both only involved single riders.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 pm

nickobec wrote:

Nah I'm good, consider me retired from racing at this point in my cycling career, I'm happy doing my coaching programs for recreational women and have a lot to work on in preparation for summer. I found dirt and I'm just happy on the mountain bike hanging out and chilling.... along with Yoga... even more chill :wink:

But you guys are doing a great job and it's really awesome to see WA finally step it up

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 pm

nickobec wrote:

Women's A last season as well....

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 25, 2017 11:50 pm

NASHIE wrote:Thats a good turnout Nick, whats the junior numbers like ?. Son's a bit pissed he has to miss this event.
about 100 riders, split between women and juniors

mxcd

Postby mxcd » Tue May 30, 2017 6:08 pm

I was at the Peel Women's event on Sunday as a spectator (other half racing). It would be great for a men's event similar to that. The course was closed roads, although very technical. The event was run really well, although the main issue I had was time.

It was a whole day out with a lot of waiting for riders and even more for spectators. That is the one thing I would change, other than that, I hope to be able to make the winter series race next weekend (E Grade)

Yes I am worried about injuries and crashes, but that's racing and I hope others are worried too, there's no Rainbow jersey, so no need to take undue risks